- Following up on the previous
PS4 updates, today details on the PlayStation 4 Audio Processor (ACP) have surfaced from Sony documention.
To quote (via VGLeaks.com, linked above): "Mark Cerny
confirmed in an interview that PlayStation 4 uses hardware expressly dedicated to audio tasks. What are the capabilities of this hardware? What is Sony telling to developers about it?
Here we have some material from Sony’s presentations where you can learn more about audio custom hardware in PS4. This dedicated hardware will manage basic tasks, for game or system, relying on the CPU or GPU for advanced tasks.
Another important point is that this audio block is not programmable by developers directly, they could only access it via OS."
PS4 Audio Processor (ACP)
- Custom Audio Block
- Access mediated by OS
- Not programmable by game teams
- Performs encoding and decoding
- Game: 200+ MP3 or equivalent streams
- System: Encoding and decoding for voice chat, etc...
- Filtering and effects performed by game code
- Presumably CPU, but GPGPU is also a possibility