March 24, 2013 // 9:45 pm
- Following up on the previous
hint, this weekend the Apache Overkill (PSP Mini) user mode exploit by TomTomdu80
for PS Vita Firmware 2.06
has been officially unveiled alongside a video demo below.
To quote: In this Video you can see a PS Vita with the Firmware 2.06, which runs the Vita Half Byte Loader via the Exploit game Apache Overkill. Thank you very much TomTomdu80 for this user mode exploit
This port of the Half Byte Loader for the PS Vita is capable of running Homebrews at the PS Vita Firmware 2.06 and older. This CAN NOT run ISO or CSO games. Plugins (PRX) wont work either! Just usermode Homebrews!
: Disclaimer: I haven’t tested this VHBL version myself. People who tested it in EU/US version have told me this VHBL compatibility is below average, but compatibility may increase in future releases. As usual, the choice is yours.
Another long wait is over, this is the public announce for the game exploit that will let people run TomTomDu80′s port of VHBL on Vita firmware 2.06. Once again, an army of very dangerous people will start playing 16 bits games on the Vita, putting one of the biggest hardware companies of the world in great danger of bankruptcy. Watch as Sony pulls the game from their stores within 48h, when it took them months to fix an actual security vulnerability on the device
Haha, I kid, I kid, we all know Sony have to pull these games off their stores, who knows if this new game exploit won’t be the vector to an eCFW release at some point... speaking of which, before you go ahead and buy the game, let me go with a disclaimer:
Disclaimer: the vulnerability in the game disclosed below is a user mode exploit in a PSP game. TomTomDu80 has ported VHBL to this exploit on the vita firmware 2.06. VHBL does not let you play pirated PSP games, let alone pirated Vita games. VHBL lets you play a subset of PSP homebrews on your Vita, including a wide range of oldschool consoles emulators. Compatibility of VHBL varies depending on the exploit, and I want to emphasize that I have myself not tested this VHBL port at all.
Early reports I have gotten from beta testers is that the compatibility is below average compared to other VHBL releases (with a few annoying bugs such as some crashes when exiting some specific homebrews). As usual, you buy this game at your own risk and with no explicit guarantee from me that this will let you do anything else than, well, actually play that game…
So, here we go, the vulnerability found by TomTomDu80 is in: Apache Overkill (PSP Mini)
The game is, unfortunately, not available in all PSN stores
If you are in a store where the game is not available, it is recommended that you open an account in a location that has the game, acquire a PSN card for that store (some online services sell those, either google them or PM me if you need help) and use it to buy the game. Please understand that the game availability in your country is not the choice of the hacker.
Also enjoy this video from The Z, showcasing TomTomDu80′s VHBL port in action:
As usual, we are not releasing the files yet, they will be released in a few days (usually we wait until the game has been pulled from the PSN) Feel free to report if the game is available in your store or not
About TomTomDu80's VHBL Homebrew Compatibility:
- Picodrive - Sega Genesis emulator
- PSPFILER - Popular file tool for the PSP
- WAGIC - As always Wagic works, which is due to the fact of it being developed to run in tight environments. Wagic is a heroic fantasy card game, in which you fight as a wizard against the computer.
- CSPSP - Nataku92′s CSPSP homebrew port of the ever-famous Counter-Strike PC title in 2D.
- Cavestory - The popular platformer/Action adventure freeware indie game. (Leaving to Vita OS and returning to game causes no sound)
- Jelly Car - Complete the levels without falling in this crazy car game. The point? You can change the size of your car at will, to avoid falling in holes.
- Ragdoll Cannon - A 2d puzzle game. Shoot the ragdoll guy from the cannon. Hit the target to go to the next level. (Sound issues)
- Vmenu - An alternate menu by developer Neur0n.
- Bookr - A great homebrew app for reading PDF/txt veiwer.
What does not work?
- DaedalusX64 (N64 Emulator) -Its a shame daedalus doesn’t work. I tried both r777, r790 and R13
- gPSP kai -(GBA Emulator) (Loads but issue with savegame, might be fixable)
- SNES9X TYL (Super Nintendo Emulator)- Black screen
- DOOM - Might be fixiable, some issues seem to occur when loading certain sound threads
- DUKE 3D
- HALO: Revamped
- Slender Portable
- YMENU & PYMENU - Ive tried everything to get these to work, but its a no go.
- Cubic Zombies
- Lamecraft- Failure to generate terrain and errors
- Quake Arcade
- Mario Fusion
- HALF LIFE
- NAZI ZOMBIES
- Left 4 Quake