- Following up on his previous
release, this weekend PlayStation 3 developer facanferff
has updated the YouTube Plugin to version 2.0 for Showtime PS3 Media Player
dubbed the New Experience with the changes outlined below followed by v2.2, v2.21 and v2.2.5.
Download: YouTube v2.0 Plugin for Showtime PS3 Media Player
Below are the changes, as follows:
The first major release of the plugin was more than a year ago and now it is time to renew that experience and provide a improved experience that I hope everyone will enjoy. Please see carefully the changelog so you know exactly what's new:
- Add: Support for Continuous Playback (needs to activate setting in Showtime's Video Playback Settings)
- Add: Main Page now supports order customization (like Showtime Main Page)
- Add: Youtube Disco
- Add: Native Sorting (by Publish Date, by Views, by Title (incrementing/decrementing) and as Default)
- Add: Youtube EDU
- Add: Featured feed in Youtube Movies
- Add: New User Profile Interface/Experience
- Add: New Advanced Mode for videos
- Add: Choose what feeds to show in User Profile
- Add: Header buttons in Oceanus skin plugin
- Add: Item Menu:
- Like/Dislike video
- Comment video
- Add to Favorites
- Add to Watch Later
- Related Videos
- Response Videos
- Redirect to Movie (if video is a known trailer)
- Trailers (if video is a movie)
- Redirect to a Show (if video belongs to a Show)
- Redirect to the Show Season (if video belongs to a Show Season)
- Fix: Video Playback
- Fix: Some videos would fail due to some RegEx differences
- Fix: Videos that are no available don't show friendly error message
- Fix: The plugin would load additional pages of a feed that didn't contain entries
- Fix: User Favorites didn't work
- Improvement: Updated video metadata for support in Oceanus skin plugin
- Improvement: More flexibe Youtube Search
- Improvement: Don't show login popup in search
- Add: Add video to existing playlist (available in item menu in video listing and in Actions in Advanced Mode)
- Add: Itemhook "Search in Youtube" for video entries in Showtime (in item menu,
you can use this feature to search for videos in Youtube given any title of a video item in Showtime) (requires 4.3.261)
- Add: Show debug information if setting is enabled
- Fix: Search for space separated queries
- Add: Support for Live Streaming videos using HLS
- Add: Show videos that authenticated user liked
- Add: Searchers for API v3 (old searchers are still active)
- Add: Authentication for API v3
- Add: New URI routes for video playback
- Add: My Activity (provides recommendations, videos that users subscribed liked/favorited)
- Add: Subscribe to User in User Profile
- Add: Initial support for Guide Categories
- Add: Initial support for Video Categories (old "Browse Videos" section)
- Add: Video Advanced Mode actions: Like, Dislike, Add to Favorites, Add to Watch Later, Comment
- Add: Show more information for videos in pages using API v3 (enable in Settings)
- Enhancement: Improved User Profile
- Enhancement: Started work to upgrade plugin from API v2 to v3
As you may see several things that were being asked since the first release are now here, fresh and ready to be used.
Showtime Plugin Youtube changes:
- The new Home Screen, using SELECT + Arrows in PS3 you can customize the order of the items.
- The improved item listing.
- The new Youtube Search screen providing easy to use search for everything you want.
- The new advanced mode in videos, cleaner and easier to use.
- The new User Profile screen, featuring an easy to use and fast experience.
Go to Plugin Central (puzzle icon in home screen) inside Showtime and download the plugin.
- andoma: for creating Showtime and maintaining it
- Tyrant: for beta testing the plugin and giving fresh ideas
- When testing, my Beta Tester (El Tyrant) found that the resume videos of Showtime does not work properly with the plugin, so please disable the following settting: Video playback -> Resume video playback
1. I found some issues, had crashes or have suggestions, where can I inform the developer about them?
Finally, below is a brief tutorial on how to log out from the Showtime Plugin YouTube from facanferff
(via psx-scene.com/forums/content/tutorial-log-out-showtime-plugin-youtube-2841/) for those interested:
Recently a user in IRC (EFNET, #showtime) asked how to log out from the current user in Youtube plugin for Showtime, so here is a tutorial for it. This method is only needed for versions 1.5 and up where it uses OAuth2 as the main authentication method. This method works for the standalone version.
The process is really simple and may be done via Multiman:
1. Go to the jsstore folder of showtime.
- In PS3: /dev_hdd0/HTSS00003/USRDIR/settings/settings/jsstore
- In Linux: /home//.hts/showtime/settings/jsstore
2. Delete the file called youtube-oauth2.
3. Open Showtime and it will no longer use your old user account, so you may authenticate again for another user account.
1. Now every time I try to play a video, it fails with random errors, what is happening?
With the recent website changes featuring a new layout, the plugin is unable to play any video. A fix for it is being worked on and will be available once it is possible and it is confirmed to be stable. Sorry for this.
2. I found the plugin crash for some reason, what can I do?
The simplest answer is report it, you can either use lonelycoder.com/redmine/projects/showtime/ or github.com/facanferff/showtime-plugin-youtube/issues. Please report any issue you encounter, if you don't I may not face it so I will not fix it by the simple aspect that I won't know about it.