- Following up on the previous
update, today an anonymous source has leaked PS3 RetroXMB Beta 3 by doobz
which allows users to boot RetroArch ROMs from the PS3 XMB alongside some updates below.
Download: RetroXMB Beta 3- Leaked Release.7z
(Mirror) / RetroXMB.rar
(Mirror #2) / RetroPS3 (RetroArch v184.108.40.206 Cores).zip
/ CaveStory--RetroArch v220.127.116.11-- RetroXMB AutoBoot Rom (lightt).pkg
/ CaveStory--RetroArch v18.104.22.168 -- RetroXMB Autoboot (heavy).pkg
/ RetroPS3 (RetroArch v22.214.171.124 Cores).zip
/ RetroXMB_Creator.rar (PSX Engine with v4.65 CFW Support)
/ RetroXMB_Creator.rar (v1.7)
/ RetroXMB_Creator.rar (With v4.65 CFW Support)
/ RetroXMB_Creator.rar (With v4.70 CFW Support)
To quote: Hi. The author of this application (Name: doobz) did not give permission for it's release. He claimed he was close to ready, but then he vanished and no one has seen him in months. We do not know of his location or status. It is a mystery.
As such I'm releasing the last version of the tool he provided prior to his disappearance.
Official RetroXMB README (Partial)
RetroXMB is an app that makes it easy to install content on your PS3 XMB. I was sick of using "managers" to load other apps, i wanted it to be like the psp era where you clicked the icon and the app started. So this is my attempt at that
Its just a gui for a bunch of command line programs which i hacked that generate content for the Playstation 3. RetroXMB helps you put many games for many systems directly on your XMB. Here is a small list of supported systems:
- PlayStation 1
- PlayStation 2
- PlayStation Portable
Here goes a small intro for RetroXMB..
Emulator games use RetroArch as a back-end.. here goes the wall of text about the emulators and their notes.
PS1 Games use Iris Manager as a back-end. multiMAN can cause conflicts with Iris and since multiMAN isn't open source, no one can fix it. If you run into problems while using the PS1 Games simply reboot your PS3 to fix it and dont run multiMAN
PS2 Classics (Experimental):
PS2 Classics uses the rap file from PS2 Classics Place Holder/ps2classic_GUI
Steps to install reactpsn + ps2 rap support:
1. create a new user called "aa" on your ps3
2. install ReactPSN 2.26
3. put the exdata folder in a usb device and plug it in the ps3
4. execute ReactPSN on the PS3
5. the "aa" user should be renamed to reactpsn and you will have the rif files installed in your "aa" account exdata
5. done you can now use PS2Classics made with this app
If you don't use the proper rap file, you will get a copyright information error when loading the ps2classic. this could be patched in the fw.
Note to Rogero FW Users:
Rogero FW doesnt patch certain EBOOT ecdsa signature checks. PS3 Keys from 3.56 and below aren't accepted in Rogero FW, so old homebrew won't work. Instead of resigning eboots for _higher_ fw Ask Rogero to fix this, or simply use Rebug or MiraLaTijera FW. All my EBOOTs are signed with 3.41 keys (it shouldn't matter which version).
STLcardWS, sandungas, AdaLove, UnknownArchive, Squarepusher, Hermes/Estwald, flatz, IngPereira, aldostools, Celestria, zecoxao and everyone that made this possible (or i forgot to mention )
Additional Info by STLcardsWS
RetroArch Supported Cores
-- Various Arcade (CPS 1/2/3, Neo Geo, Sega System 16/18..)
-- Nintendo NES / Famicom
-- Game Boy / Color
-- SG -1000, Master System, Game Gear, Genesis, Sega CD
-- Neo Geo Pocket / Color
-- Turbo GrafX 16, & CD (PC-Engine) / Super GrafX
-- Nintendo Virtual Boy
-- Bandia WonderSwan / Color
-- Nintendo NES / Famcom w/Disk System
-- Doom 1 & II Engine
-- Nintendo NES/ Famicom
-- Super Nintendo / Super Famicom
-- Atari 2600
-- Quake Engine
-- Game Boy Advance
EXPERIMENTAL LIBRETRO CORES
-- Experimental Atari 2600
--- Issues ----
.Save / Load States do not work.
Toggle Color/Black and White with R3/L3 on select games.
-- Experimental: MAME 0.78
--- Issues ---
Save / Load States do not work.
Game Comparability is hit and miss
Frame-Rate issues in some games.
0.78 Romset should be used
Try lower version if exact cant be found.
Some Games will play well. There others that will not.
-- Experimental: GBA (use VBA_Next instead)
Very choppy and slow FPS at times.
A lot of issues
Save/Load States not supported
Requires GBA bios.
-- Experimental: PSone
Use other PS1 methods for the PS3.
Other Emulated Systems Supported
-- Uses Iris Manager as a back end (4.46 not supported), Was released as the standaone PS1toPS2 b10 PlayStation Portable
-- PSP Remaster / PSP Minis, Was released as a standalone PSPtoPS3 b22
-- Experimental PS2 Integration: Very early version.
- Create CEX or DEX Packages
- Create 3.41 - 4.XX Packages (Rogero Users See Read Me above)
- Custom XMB Title
- Customize XMB Appearance
- Add XMB Sound: (SND0AT.AC3)
- Add Animated Icon: (ICON1.PAM)
- Custom HIP: (edit text file)
- Creates a random Title ID with a `RX-prefix` "RX_ _ _ _ _ _" at the start of every rom created.
- OR change it to a Custom Title-ID of your choice
- Progress Bar to show the app is working, (large files may seem long but it working).
- Creates an XMB Auto-Booting package.
- RetroArch v9.9.0 is used as a back-end.for all emulation.
- BIOS detection on ROMs. (unfinished / bugs)
- ROM detection from various archive formats.
- Included Custom PIC0.PNG for most cores (unfinished)
- Support all libretro Cores for PS3 RetroArch (Uses Modified Cores)
- Set Aspect Ratio of game to 16:9 (uncheck) or 4:3 (checked)
- Add Extra Files or Multiple Files for roms that require it easily.
* Note there are some bugs with BIOS and ROM detections. Which leads to problems with some games not being able to create a package.
- Update to standalone release of PS1toPS3 b10 by doobz
- Supports PS1 ISO, BIN
- Optional: Cue, toc File.
- PS1 Games use Iris Manager as the engine. This supported to version 4.41 and below. at this time.
- Hold Circle after selecting game on XMB, Enter Iris PS1 Setting menu prior to game launch.
PlayStation 2 (Experimental)
- Early in development.
- Supports PS2 ISO, BIN
- Choose PS2 Playback on DEX or CEX (Experimental)
- PS2 Classics require ReactPSN and the rap for PS2Classics Placeholder Installed
NOTICE: Make a copy of the PS2 game you are converting if you do not want to lose it!!!!
- An update to doobz PSProPS3 beta 22
- Remastered Creation Supported
- Minis Creation Supported
- PSP ISO, EBOOT.PBP, PSN PKG (only ISO will be patched), MINI2.DAT or a homebrew PRX.
Update: RetroXMB Cave Story (NXengine) Light & Heavy XMB PKGs
Cave Story (Doukutsu Monogatari)
RetroArch v126.96.36.199 (libretro core: NXEngine)
RetroXMB XMB Direct Boot Applied
- The light package has no guarantee that it will work with future updates of RetroArch (if installed). It should work and update your core as you install your new RetroArch updates in the future, but if there are changes significant changes to RetroArch, that could break features down the road. So that is something to consider if you plan to use the Light Package.
- Also, there will be a bit more RetroXMB news coming in the next days or so stay tuned for more.
- RetroXMB Beta 3 App (with new cores)
- A new Tutorial for creating the smallest RetroXMB packages possible, with a bit of a mod from the official way.
- Squarepusher / Maister (RetroArch) & All Libretro Contributors
- doobz (RetroXMB Creator)
- Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya (Cave Story Creator)
Retro XMB Creator 1.6.2 - Create LUA + PS3 Homebrew Packages / Updated PSX Launcher
- Added support to create Lua packages
- Added support to create PS3 homebrew packages
- Updated the PSX launcher (IRISMAN 3.03)
RetroXMB Setup Instructions
Based on doobz original RetroXMB with a Twist to the concept (Lite) by STLcardsWS (No Cores in the package replaced by standard core location, cut file size of packages drmatically compared to the tradional RetroXMB way)
RetroXMB (Beta 3) Re-released by STLcardsWS (Mar/12/14)
Included the following libretro cores from RetroArch v188.8.131.52: (tested and working for RetroXMB)
- NXengine (Is not support in RetroXMB app (bug) but can auto boot using RetroXMB files (see above for pre-made Cave Story Packages)
- Old RetroArch Background Menu is used (minor annoyance on some long sub-menus where text alignment is an issue. This can not be fixed in the app, (as we do not have the source code) but can be manually adjusted by replacing the image from v184.108.40.206. (just keep the same name for the image)
- Never Change the libretro Cores, or you will damage the package for future use. If this occurs delete and re-install. In order for this to be a problem someone would have to manually search folders on HDD to find the core and then change a core. In most cases this will be an issue to many.
Thanks / Credits:
- Squarepusher (& Entire RetroArch/Libretro Team)
- doobz (RetroXMB developer)
- RetroXMB Contributors (see ReadME)
Update #2: Espionage (PS3)
This is a Homebrew Rom for the classic GameBoy handheld created by Fredrik Brundin, with RetroArch (gambatte) you have the options to play in Black/White or in Color. To achieve this while in-game hit L3 and R3 to access the main In-game Menu of Retro Arch and select "Core Options" where you can then select disable or enable "GB colorization".
RetroXMB autoboot is applied so direct launch from XMB with ease!
Download: ESPIONAGE - Homebrew Game.pkg
Espionage v1.0 - Made for the GBJAM (gbjam.net).
You play as a spy as he makes his way into the enemy base to collect as much data as he can; but don't get too greedy, because he needs to get out before the timer runs out and the enemy back up arrives.
How to Play
To run the .gb file you will need a Game Boy emulator
- Game by: Fredrik Brundin
- Additional Art (Title & Game Over screen): Dominic Buchholz
Update #3: GBA Indie Roms for you PS3 (Using RetroArch w/ RetroXMB Auto Boot)
Download: Dangerous XMAS (Dangerous X_MAS (GBA Homebrew Game).pkg) / Powerpig (PowerPig (GBA Homebrew Game).pkg)
Following the release of various GameBoy and Atari 2600 Indie Games packaged into XMB Auto-Boot packages for the PlayStation 3 (CFW), I decided to checkout another retro system where Homebrew games are still being developed often.
The GBA (GameBoy Advance) has many great Homebrew Games, but here are two very nice releases for the GBA, that we now have today for the PS3 in Dangerous X-MAS (developed by the Spoutnick Team) & PowerPig ( developed by genecyst ). These homebrew creations use RetroArch v220.127.116.11 - vba_next.SELF for emulation with RetroXMB XMB auto-boot applied. See the various screens and videos of these games in action below.
Update #4: Aldostools has now updated (linked above) the PSX Engine in RetroXMB Creator to support PS3 v4.65 CEX Firmware.
- (February 26 v1.7.1) - Updated MOVIE and PSX engine with IRISMAN 3.45 (support for cfw 4.70). multiMAN or IRISMAN full edition are required to be installed.
- (August 27 v1.6.5) - Updated PSX engine with IRISMAN 3.24 (adds support for CFW 4.65)
- (August 08 v1.6.5) - Updated PSX engine with IRISMAN 3.21
Hint: Use [F1] to visit the Repository of ICON1.PAM and Manuals for Retro XMB Creator created by Redemp on FireDrive.
Retro XMB Creator v1.7 What's New:
- Added Support for launching Movies from the XMB (using Showtime.SELF)
I made a workaround to have the movies icons with custom images on the XMB using RetroXMB Creator 1.7:
I will add more extensions later (they are a lot). I first wanted to get some feedback before continue using my time on this.
It works the same way as the roms launched with RetroArch... IRISMAN or multiMAN are required to be installed with the SHOWTIME.SELF made by deank, otherwise it will execute the standard Showtime made by andoma, which doesn't support the SHOWTIME.TXT to auto-load the specified movie when Showtime is started.
About NTFS Drives (Movies)
This method cannot auto-lauch videos on ntfs (even when Showtime fully supports it). It seems that SHOWTIME.TXT validates if the file exists when Showtime is loaded, but the ntfs device is mounted few seconds later. Thus Showtime goes directly to the main menu, instead of play the movie on the ntfs device.
After some tests I noticed that sometimes the movie launcher only started Showtime without auto-play the movie. However, if I first launched a movie via IRISMAN, the XMB shortcuts for the movies launched them fine.
So, I updated the showtime launcher to also load the sky payloads used by IRISMAN.
Supported Extension: mkv, mp4, avi, mpg, mpeg, mov, m2ts, vob, flv, wmv, asf, divx, xvid, pam, bik, bink, vp6, mth, 3gp, rmvb, ogm, ogv, m2t, mts, ts, tsv, tsa, tts, rm, rv, vp3, vp5, vp8, 264, m1v, m2v, m4b, m4p, m4r, m4v, mp4v, mpe, bdmv, dvb, webm, nsv.