July 20, 2011 // 11:50 am
- Today PlayStation 3 developer CrashSerious
has announced news of an incoming PS3 homebrew port of the Dragon 32 / 64 PC XRoar emulator now dubbed PS3Roar.
Download: PS3Roar Dragon 32 / 64 PC XRoar Emulator PS3 Port WIP
/ PS3Roar BiOS Files
To quote: PS3roar is a port of xroar for X windows, as well as; the Nintendo DS, GPX32, PSP and AMIGA OS4. PS3roar is a Dragon 32 and 64 Computer emulator that runs on a wide variety of platforms, now including the PS3. Due to hardware similarities, PS3roar also emulates the Tandy Colour Computer (CoCo) models 1 & 2.
The PS3 port and modifications completed by CrashSerious (me). The PS3 port uses PSL1GHTv2, a free and Open Source SDK for the PS3.
PS3roar is a Dragon/Tandy Coco emulator, is a port of xRoar by Ciaran Anscomb. xRoar is Copyright (C) 2003-2010 Ciaran Anscomb (xroar -aT- 6809.org.uk)
From the ReadMe file:
- Dragon 32 (PAL).
- Dragon 64 (PAL).
- Tano Dragon (NTSC).
- Tandy Colour Computer (1 and 2) (PAL).
- Tandy Color Computer (1 and 2) (NTSC).
- 6809 emulation
- Video display (at original pixel size) on a 480p display w/ background
- Keyboard emulation with PSL1GHT_SDL that has a keyboard Driver (https://github.com/CrashSerious/SDL_PSL1GHT)
- Cart loading from /dev_hdd0/game/PS3Roar00/USRDIR/ROMS/ (CTRL-I)
- Cassette loading from /dev_hdd0/game/PS3Roar00/USRDIR/CASSETTES/ (CTRL-L)
- Cassette Saves from /dev_hdd0/game/PS3Roar00/USRDIR/CASSETTES/ (CTRL-W)
- New Cassette creation (currently only one filename is used, a input mechanism is needed)
- Disk loading from /dev_hdd0/game/PS3Roar00/USRDIR/DISKS/ (CTRL 1-4)
- Disk Saving from /dev_hdd0/game/PS3Roar00/USRDIR/DISKS/ (No Key, automatically writable)
- New DISK (.dsk) creation (currently only one filename is used, a input mechanism is needed)
- Snapshot loading from /dev_hdd0/game/PS3Roar00/USRDIR/SNAPSHOTS/ (CTRL+S)
- Snapshot saving to /dev_hdd0/game/PS3Roar00/USRDIR/SNAPSHOTS/
- Emulation Soft Reset (CTRL-R)
- Emulation Hard Reset (SHIFT-CTRL-R)
- Exit (CTRL-C)
- Trace mode (with DEX or Ethboot payload)
- Fixed emulator in all resolutions supported by the PS3. 480p, 720p, 1080p, etc
- Switching to and from full screen mode enabled, set full screen to default.
- Sound (Sound is there, but not 100% correct)
Keyboard commands: PS3roar's user interface is based around SDL. The emulator video output window is shown, and all operations are performed with keyboard combinations, usually accessed as Control+KEY. The following are the keyboard combinations for the functions listed:
- Control+I Insert a ROM cartridge.
- Control+Shift+I Insert a ROM cartridge, no autorun.
- Control+L Load a cassette file.
- Control+Shift+L Load a cassette file and attempt to autorun it where appropriate.
- Control+W Attach a virtual cassette file for writing.
- Control+[1-4] Insert a virtual disk into drive 1-4.
- Control+Shift+[1-4] Insert a blank virtual disk (40TSS) into drive 1-4.
- Control+[5-8] Toggle write enable on disk in drive 1-4.
- Control+Shift+[5-8] Toggle write back on disk in drive 1-4.
- Control+S Save a snapshot.
- Control+Shift+S Load a snapshot.
System Control Keys:
- Control+R Soft reset emulated machine.
- Control+Shift+R Hard reset emulated machine.
- Control+C Quit emulator (Power Off).
Emulation Configuration Keys:
- Control+K Toggle between Dragon and CoCo keyboard layout. See Keyboard.
- Control+A Cycle through cross-colour video modes (hi-res only).
- Control+M Cycle through emulated machine types (resets machine).
- Control+E Toggle DOS emulation on/off - reset to take effect.
- Control+J Cycle through joystick emulation modes (None, Left, Right).
- Control+Shift+J Swap joystick mapping (left/right).
- Control+Z Enable keyboard translation mode.
- Control+F Switch from and back to Full screen mode.
- F12 While held, the emulator will run at the maximum possible speed.
- Control+U Create and copy from folders on USB for ROMS, CAS, DSK, BIOS, etc.
ROMS information: The emulator is distributed with some software for the Color Computer II, it is distributed with: Dungeons of Daggorath, per the license below: http://iloveglory.freehostia.com/daggorath/license.html
To find other ROMS, and to find BIOS files; search google for the phrase, they are REQUIRED to get the emulator working: "color computer" roms
PS3Roar creates a folder structure on a USB drive that does not already contain a "PS3Roar" directory, the structure is:
These folders correspond to the folders in the installed PS3roar directory on the HDD. Placing fikles on the USB Stick, then anagin inserting into the PS3 and pressing CONTROL+U once more will copy the files to the PS3. Once copied, the USB stick can be removed. Note: files are NEVER loaded from USB, they must be on the internal HDD in the proper location. The CONTROL+U functionality makes this easy and removes the need to FTP files to the PS3.
- You will need to unzip the rom files. They need to be .rom files, the emulator doesn't deal with .zips
- You will need to get your own roms and (for now) place them in /dev_hdd0/game/PS3Roar00/USRDIR/ROMS/ to get the emulator "operational"
- Heavy reorganization was done to the original source code to accomodate easy PS3 compilation and creation of a PS3 the original source code is in a .tar.gz in the original source code of this repository.
- The original readme has been left intact, and is named README.xroar
- Docs for the original can be found at http://www.6809.org.uk/dragon/xroar-manual.shtml
- (Xroar functions that are not to be implemented)
- Toggle full screen mode.
- Control+T - Open the tape control window (certain user interfaces only). See Tape control.
- Control+Shift+P - Flush printer output. See Printing.