- Following up on PS3 RetroArch v0.9.8.3
, today PlayStation 3 homebrew developers Themaister
(aka Twin Aphex
) have officially updated the PS3 Multi-system Game Emulator known as PS3 RetroArch to version 0.9.8.4 with the changes outlined below.
(29.62 MB) / RetroArch.PS3.v0.9.8.4.FOR.DEX.PS3
(112 MB) / RetroArch.GX.GameCube.v0.9.8.4
(11.0 MB) / RetroArch.GX.Wii.v0.9.8.4
(12.3 MB) / RetroArch-PS3-CFW-0.9.8.4_CEX (CORES-030313).PKG
(32.73 MB) by pete_uk
RETROARCH PS3 - 0.9.8.4
RetroConsole Level: 2
Author: Themaister, Squarepusher/Twin Aphex
HOW TO INSTALL THIS
ON DEBUG (DEX) PS3
Put the PKG file 'retroarch-ps3-v0.9.8.4-dex.pkg' on your USB stick, put it in your PS3. Go to the PS3 XMB - go to the Game tab - Select 'Install Packages', and install the PKG file.
ON CFW PS3
Put the PKG file 'retroarch-ps3-v0.9.8.4-cfw.pkg' on your USB stick. Put it in your CFW PS3. Go to the PS3 XMB - go to the Game tab - select 'Install Packages', and install the PKG file.
NOTE: The official release no longer supports Geohot/Wutangzra CFWs. If you must use them, you have to do pkg_finalize on the PKG to install it.
HOW TO USE THIS
On first startup, RetroArch will select one of the dozen or so emulator/game cores. The name of the core currently loaded will be shown at the top side of the screen.
You can now select a ROM that this core supports and load it in the Filebrowser.
To select a different core in the menu - press Select to go to the Settings screen. From here, go to the 'Retro tab', and select 'Default emulator core'. Press X to go to a filebrowser where you can select a different core. Press X to confirm, then exit RetroArch. Start up again to boot up to the new emulator core.
To change to a different core ingame - press R3 to bring up the 'Quick Menu'. Select 'Change libretro core'. Press X to go to a filebrowser where you can select a different core.
During ingame operation you can do some extra actions:
WHAT IS RETROARCH?
- Right Thumb Stick - Down - Fast-forwards the game
- Right Thumb Stick - Up - Rewinds the game in real-time ('Rewind' has to be enabled in the 'Settings' menu - warning - comes at a performance decrease but will be worth it if you love this feature)
- RStick Left + R2 - Decrease save state slot
- Rtick Right + R2 - Increase save state slot
- RStick Up + R2 - Load selected save state slot
- RStick Down + R2 - Save selected save state slot
- L3 + R3 - Go back to 'Menu'/'Quick Menu'
RetroArch is a modular multi-system emulator system that is designed to be fast, lightweight and portable. It has features few other emulator frontends have, such as real-time rewinding and game-aware shading.
WHAT IS LIBRETRO?
Libretro is the API that RetroArch uses. It makes it easy to port games and emulators to a single core backend, such as RetroArch.
For the user, this means - more ports to play with, more crossplatform portability, less worrying about developers having to reinvent the wheel writing boilerplate UI/port code - so that they can get busy with writing the emulator/porting the emulator/game.
WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL?
Right now it's unique in that it runs the same emulator cores on multiple systems (such as Xbox 360, PS3, PC, Wii, Xbox 1, etc).
For each emulator 'core', RetroArch makes use of a library API that we like to call 'libretro'.
Think of libretro as an interface for emulator and game ports. You can make a libretro port once and expect the same code to run on all
the platforms that RetroArch supports. It's designed with simplicity and ease of use in mind so that the porter can worry about the port at hand instead of having to wrestle with an obfuscatory API.
The purpose of libretro is to help ease the work of the emulator/game porter by giving him an API that allows him to target multiple
platforms at once without having to redo any code. He doesn't have to worry about writing input/video/audio drivers - all of that is supplied to him by RetroArch. All he has to do is to have the emulator port hook into the libretro API and that's it - we take care of the rest.
PLAYSTATION 3 PORT
The PS3 port of RetroArch is one of the most developed console ports of RetroArch.
A couple of unique features RetroArch PS3 boasts that is not commonly found anywhere else:
- Game-aware shading in every emulator now (*)
- Real-time rewinding
- More shader features (motion blurring, etc)
- Switching between emulator cores seamlessly, and ability to install new libretro cores
Included with RetroArch PS3 are a bunch of shaders - including the latest versions of the popular xBR shader. It is possible to use two
shaders simultaneously to get the best possible graphical look.
* Check out Opium2k's manual shaders for Zelda 3 and others - you can find DLC packs for RetroArch at this site: code.google.com/p/retro-arch/
EMULATOR/GAME CORES BUNDLED WITH PS3 PORT
The following emulators have been ported to RetroArch and are included in the PS3 release of RetroArch.
For more information about them, see the included 'retroarch-libretro-README.txt' file.
- Final Burn Alpha (Arcade - various) [version 0.2.97.28]
- FCEUmm (Nintendo Entertainment System) [recent SVN version]
- NEStopia (Nintendo Entertainment System) [1.44]
- Gambatte (Game Boy | Super Game Boy | Game Boy Color) [version 0.5.0 WIP]
- Genesis Plus GX (Sega SG-1000 | Master System | Game Gear | Genesis/Mega Drive | Sega CD) [version 1.7.3]
- SNES9x Next (Super Nintendo/Super Famicom)
- VBA Next (Game Boy Advance)
- Prboom (for playing Doom 1/Doom 2/Ultimate Doom/Final Doom)
- Mednafen PCE Fast (PC Engine/PC Engine CD/Turbografx 16)
- Mednafen Wonderswan (WonderSwan/WonderSwan Color/WonderSwan Crystal)
- Mednafen NGP (Neo Geo Pocket Color)
- Mednafen VB (Virtual Boy)
All of the emulators listed above are the latest versions currently available. Most of them have been specifically optimized so that they
will run better on PS3 (some games would not reach fullspeed without these optimizations).
WHAT EXTENSIONS ARE SUPPORTED BY EACH CORE
- Prboom WAD|wad
- SNES9x Next smc|fig|sfc|gd3|gd7|dx2|bsx|swc|zip|SMC|FIG|SFC|BSX|GD3|GD7|DX2|SWC
- Genesis Plus GX md|smd|bin|gen|zip|MD|SMD|bin|GEN|ZIP|sms|SMS|gg|GG|sg|SG|cue|CUE
- VBA Next GBA|gba
- FCEUmm nes|NES|unif|UNIF
- NEStopia nes|NES|fds|FDS
- Gambatte gb|gbc|dmg|zip|GB|GBC|DMG|ZIP
- Final Burn Alpha zip|ZIP
- Mednafen PCE pce|PCE|cue|CUE
- Mednafen Wonderswan ws|WS|wsc|WSC
- Mednafen NGP ngp|NGP
- Mednafen VB vb|VB
Selecting a ZIP file will temporarily unzip that file to the harddrive. The temporary file will be deleted as soon as the game gets unloaded and/or when you quit RetroArch.
NOTE: For the FBA core (and other cores that have 'block_extract' set to true) - selecting a ZIP file from the Filebrowser will load that game directly.
If you find that RetroArch no longer works for whatever reason, there is a way to get it back to work - Remove retroarch.cfg from the 'SSNE100000' folder, then start up again. The Libretro management service in RetroArch should automatically pick a random libretro core and write this to the config file.
What can you expect in the future?
- Do a Blackberry Playbook/Blackberry 10 RetroArch port
- Do an iOS port of RetroArch (will need hardware for this - gifts appreciated)
- Make the libxenon port release-worthy.
- Add console-friendly features (nicely formatted names for FBA, some better way to do core switching, etc)
- Fix NxEngine issues on consoles
- Finish up MAME 0.72 port
- Finish up ScummVM port
- Port of VICE to libretro
- More emulators, more games that will run on RetroArch
- Lots of other crazy ideas that might or might not pan out
- Mudlord for his Waterpaint/Noise shaders.
- Hyllian for the xBR shader.
- Opium2k for the nice manual shaders (bundled with PS3 release).
- Deank for assistance with RetroArch Salamander on CFW PS3s and Multiman interoperability.
- FBA devs for adopting the libretro port.
- Ekeeke for help with the Genesis Plus GX port.
- ToadKing for having done a lot of work on RetroArch Wii.
- Freakdave for helping out with the Xbox 1 port.
Opium2K DLC for RetroArch: code.google.com/p/retro-arch/
IRC: #retroarch (freenode)
: From pete_uk
: This build contains RetroArch v0.9.8.4 from the official release and updated cores compiled by myself from the Libretro GITs. Many thanks to SquarePusher, TheMaister and the rest of the Libretro team.
- TyrQuake - Quake 1 and Hipnotic & Rogue mission packs (WIP)
- NxEngine - CaveStory (WIP) No Sound-FX
- Final Burn Alpha - Arcade
- FCEUmm - Nintendo NES / Famicom
- Gambatte - Nintendo Game Boy & Game Boy Colour
- Genesis Plus GX - Sega SG1000, Master System, Game Gear, Genesis and Sega CD
- Mednafen NGP - SNK NeoGeo Pocket & Colour
- Mednafen PCE - NEC PC-Engine / SuperGrafx
- Mednafen VB - Nintendo Virtual Boy
- Mednafen WSwan - Bandai Wonderswan
- Nestopia - Nintendo NES / Famicom & FDS
- PrBoom - Doom 1, Doom 2, Final Doom etc.
- Snes9x Next - Nintendo SNES
- VBA Next - Nintendo Game Boy Advance
Data Files etc: techbliss.org/forums/roms-games.122/