February 2, 2012 // 9:33 pm
- Following up on my previous
release, after moja
drew to my attention the inconvenience of having to downgrade to 3.55 and re-install a new PUP to get new features in my HFW I tried to look for a solution.
Download: PS3 4.00 HFW (Hybrid Firmware) v3 Pack Update
(with XMB Manager 0.09 Beta built into the XMB Mod files)
Making a FW 4.00 compatible PUP was not an option. So I looked for another way. At the moment I'm quite happy with the base firmware of my HFW and the only real thing I would change to add new features would be in the XMB items.
Like new revisions of DeViL303
's XMB Manager
. So I did some experimenting with the XML files and found it is possible to use resources from external (other than the /dev_flash/) devices. So basically I've modified the XMB read XML instructions from a USB device.
This allows me to port revisions of the XMB Manager, and my 4.00HFW users can simply copy the files to a USB to use the newer version. No downgrade required to use XMB updates.
I'm not likely to release another firmware a revision of my 4.00 HFW after this one for a while, unless something BIG comes along.
Instructions to install this PUP:
1. Be on a firmware 3.55 or less
2. Install the .pup through the XMB (Make sure you have a working hardware flasher as there is no other way to downgrade)
Instructions to prepare the XMB Mod for USB:
1. Create a Directory on a USB stick called "XMB"
2. Copy "xmb.xml" from the XMB Mod Package and copy it to the "XMB" directory on your USB stick
Instructions to use the XMB mod with my HFW:
1. Have the USB plugged anytime the XMB is loaded. For instance, when the PS3 is turning on and loading the XMB, or when you quit an application to go back to the XMB.
2. Once the XMB has loaded you can remove the USB stick as it is no longer necessary.
NOTE: The PS3 can operate without the XMB Mods. Not using the XMB Mods on the USB stick will not damage your PS3 in anyway. The only thing that will happen is that the XMB Mods will not show.
Obviously the ability to add items to the XMB is not restricted to the XMB Manager and it's updates, it is capable of adding any item or number items to the XMB provided they are entered into the xmb.xml correctly and are compatible with the relevant .sprx (for instance Network Settings will not work in the Game category as that cannot handle the item class "type:x-xmb/xmlsysconf").
Also I've configured the other categories to read from the xmb.xml too. (Although System Settings cannot be altered, as for some reason the XML file for it, is ignored) It won't be very hard for someone who knows about editing XMB .XML files to figure out how to take advantage of this.
BTW the XMB File Manager, now called the XMB Manager is modification of Team Rebug's "Package Manager", is now a collaboration project, involving DeViL303, Bitsbubba, PS3hen, Andreus , abuser and more! And as such should be credited for the XMB Manager and its progress. The official development page can be found here ps3crunch.net/forum/threads/2431-UPDATED-XMB-Integrated-File-Manager-Beta-v0-06c-%28WIP-POC%29
Just like before only retail signed .PKG can be installed with this. Have fun. THIS HFW WILL NOT ALLOW HOMEBREW!
- Added the ability to read XML instructions from a usb device plugged in "/dev_usb000/" allowing users to add items to the XMB by modifying an XML file on the USB device.
- Re-added "Install Package Files" to the XMB so the user is not forced to use XMB mods if they wish to install .PKG files.
- Note: Still retains the features from previous versions regardless of whether XMB Mods are used or not.
- Fix's Custom Icons/labels not showing in-game
- Using Version 0.07 of the XMB File Manager (ported to FW 4.00 by me)
- PSN content waiting to be installed/copied now only shows in the (Playstation Network Content) sub menu of the XMB File Manager (I noticed the XMB File Manager used the wrong internal link to show PSN content so I fixed this)
- PS2 game discs show as "Playstation 2 Format Disc" instead of "Unrecognised Data" on Non-BC PS3s
- The XMB File Manager uses a custom icon(see picture)
- The "Playstation Network Content" now uses a (IMO) better icon
- Adds "Debug XMB Items" to the XMB Column "PlayStation Network" (contains the Debug items found in this column, originally for DEX)
- Removes the useless "PlayStation Plus" XMB item from the XMB Column "PlayStation Network"
- Disables Cinavia DRM on all media except Blue-ray.
- Adds DeViL303's "XMB File Manager" to the XMB Column "Game"
- Adds "/app_home/PS3GAME/" to the XMB Column "Game" (has no function at the moment, but is here for completeness)