September 6, 2010 // 2:39 pm
: The PS3 Jailbreak for TI-84 Plus and TI-84 Plus Silver Edition version 0.01.0002
by Brandon Wilson
is now released, with an FAQ added below for those interested, and kally12
a patched binary
compiled with ZDS and signed with wabbitsign!
Today more PSFreedom
ports of the PS JailBreak PS3 exploit have surfaced, with news of a TI-84 Plus/SE calculator port incoming too!
has posted an HTC/Open Desire 4.0.4 PSFreedom port complete with guide HERE
for those interested.
has shared a PS Jailbreak with Nexus One Android CyanogenMod port and guide HERE
how to use the XBox 360 NAND reader
to JailBreak a PS3 along with an XBox 360 NAND PSGroove Port
. A brief guide:
1) Download compiled code for pics 18F modified for USB SPI hex code
2) Program the usb spi, following the following instructions
Start at "Prepare TIAO 360 USB SPI Interface"
3) Create your own Ninja Backup Manager
4) Copy Manager.pkg corresponding to you onto an external drive. (Formatted FAT32)
5) Go to your PS3 and do a complete power cycle. (Turn off completely with switch on back.)
6) Plug in your USB SPI, turn on the switch in back.
7) Power on your PS3 and hit the eject button immediately. (This is the part most people mess up.)
8) If you did it right, you will have two folders on your XMB. One that says "Install Package Files" and another "/app_home/PS3_GAME/".
9) Plug in your USB drive with the Manager.pkg file. You should now see it in the "Install Package Files" folder. Run it. You should now have Package Manager installed. Once installed remove the external drive.
10) Insert your original PS3 game and run Package Manager. It will ask you whether you want to load it or back it up. Back it up!
11) After a few minutes you'll have a copy of the game showing up. Select it and it will load it to the XMB menu. Screen will go black and kick you back out to the XMB.
12) On the XMB Hit the game icon and you can now start enjoying the backup copy of your PS3 game.
Perhaps the most coveted port thus far is an incoming TI-84 Plus / SE calculator port from Brandon Wilson
To quote from his most recent Tweet
: "IT WORKS. Pull out your calculators, kids, because the PS3 jailbreak is coming to the 84+/SE! Video, source code, and release coming soon!"
Finally, for those having trouble keeping up on all the latest PS3 JailBreak ports (including the recently added Archos and MSM72K
ports) there is a Device Compatibility List
which details the status of each project fork.
PS3JB is a FLASH application for the TI-84 Plus and TI-84 Plus Silver Edition that implements the PSGroove exploit for the Playstation 3 console. By connecting a USB cable between a PS3 and your calculator and running the application, you can trigger the PSGroove exploit from your graphing calculator.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Will I still be able to use my calculator like normal after this? Can this cause damage to my calculator?
This is just a FLASH application like any other you would download off education.ti.com or ticalc.org and has no impact on other functionality. There is always the potential that the application could reset RAM, so back up anything important on your calculator to your computer before running this. I'm not responsible for anything that happens from you choosing to run this program.
Do I need a special cable for this?
No, you just need a standard Amini-B USB cable (this is what you use to connect a calculator to computer and comes with the calculator, it's also used to charge/sync PS3 controllers). You have one of these.
What OS version does my calculator need to be on for this to work?
How do I get this on my calculator?
Do some reading and/or googling. You will need link software like TI Connect (Windows/Mac OS X) or TiLP (Windows/Linux) and a cable to connect your calculator to your computer.
What do I do after running the application?
Do what the calculator's LCD tells you to do, and read the included readme.
It didn't work! What's wrong?!
Be patient with it. It may take multiple tries for it to work correctly. Make sure the PS3 is powered completely off first and that you press EJECT immediately after POWER. You'll know it worked when you see the calculator's LCD say "Waiting...Done" and you see an "Install Package Files" option under Game in the XMB of the PS3.
Will this work on my TI-84 Plus (non Silver Edition)?
Even the pink model?
Yes. Colors are irrelevant.
Will this work on the TI-83 Plus or TI-83 Plus Silver Edition or [xyz]? It has a cable that's USB on one end, so it can work, right?
No. The calculator must have a USB controller in it, and the only two calculators with USB controllers that this application supports is the TI-84 Plus and TI-84 Plus Silver Edition.
Can this be ported to the TI-89 Titanium?
Theoretically, yes. However, the TI-89 Titanium has a Motorola 68K processor (as opposed to a Zilog Z80), so this application can't work on it (and I don't have the knowledge to code it). The TI-89 Titanium's USB controller is also not understood at all, even less than the TI-84 Plus/Silver Edition.
Can this be ported to HP or Casio calculators?
Maybe, I don't know. I'm not an HP or Casio person. I can't possibly do it.
Will this work on my TI-Nspire or TI-Nspire CAS? My TI-Nspire can emulate the TI-84 Plus Silver Edition.
True, but it's not the same. The Nspire's 84+SE emulator doesn't accurately emulate all the USB controller hardware necessary for this to work.
Which version of PSGroove does this include?
This includes the payload(s) from the PSGroove GitHub repository as of 9/6/2010.
Can I use this to play backups?
No, this jailbreak is based upon the PSGroove source code, which does not support piracy either.