September 30, 2010 // 1:32 am - Nintendo Wii developer Marcan has been sharing updates via Twitter on his progress with a PS3 Linux bootloader, one that is currently working on PlayStation 3 Firmware 3.41 (including on the PS3 Slim) and now named AsbestOS.

Download: AsbestOS ATMega Port with Software USB (Arduino Mega)

Below are some of his recent Tweets for those curious, to quote:

"AsbestOS port to the ATMega with software USB (Arduino Mega, etc...)

Investigating how RSX access will work. It's definitely possible but it might end up very different from desktop Linux 3D as we know it. git repo if you want to follow along. No support or docs yet, it's not done, don't ask, but feel free to peek.

Preliminary porting notes: If you have developed or ported a version of the exploit, please let me know your comments

The device I'm using to test is an IGEPv2 (OMAP3, same as the Beagleboard, N900, Palm Pre, ...).

It doesn't mean I'm going to somehow deliberately screw you over, it means if your device can't handle a custom 40KB payload, then it can't.

"non-generic psjailbreak clone" means "cheap closed low storage probably unupgradable device designed with no future-proofing in mind".

Any non-microcontroller devices will work. Phones, iPods, other media players or portable consoles, etc.

Users of non-generic psjailbreak and clones are probably SOL though (that's what you get for buying essentially a dedicated piracy device).

To clarify, you need at least a 64K (not 32K!) micro *or* a device that has at least 64K extra external storage (SD, Flash, EEPROM). working a bit better now

Confirmed that it works (to the same extent) on the Slim too It's alive! Mostly, anyway.

I bet you've never seen a Linux kernel say this: [ 0.000000] PS3 firmware version 3.4.1

Wasted like an hour debugging a bootwrapper that was working perfectly, except noone documents this stuff. dtbImage.ps3 != zImage.ps3

That wasn't too bad. Threads caught.

Next headache: catching *both* CPU threads from lv2.

AsbestOS (yeah, I'm calling it that) now works on the PS3 Slim (still doesn't quite boot Linux, though)

I can TFTP-load a kernel now, though it doesn't exactly boot yet. More tomorrow, hopefully.

There are two stages. Stage1 replaces the usual psjb payload (2kB or so) and loads stage2 via USB (30kB currently)

The Teensy will NOT work without external mem (32K Flash). The Teensy++ and the AT90USBKEY SHOULD be enough (128K Flash).

By the way, if anyone wants to run this Linux loader from a hardware dongle, make sure you get something with at least 64k of storage!

IP stack = done (lwIP FTW). 64 bytes from ps3 ( icmp_req=1 ttl=255 time=0.361 ms

I suck at names. Help me name a usb-exploit PS3 Linux bootloader? All i came up with so far is lv2ate ("levitate") and AnotherOS.

Last tweet brought to you by LPAR, VAS, HTAB, TLB, SLB, DMA, BI, PU, RM, PME, HPTE, VSID, ESID, AVPN, RPN, WIMG, GELIC, and, of course, LV1. sent from a USB lv2 payload using raw lv1 syscalls. And now I can finally go to sleep today.

Ha, Linux got owned by *exactly* the same bug that the 360 hypervisor had: comparing 32b of a system call no., then using 64b. (via tmbinc)"

Marcan Names PS3 Linux Bootloader on Firmware 3.41 AsbestOS

Marcan Names PS3 Linux Bootloader on Firmware 3.41 AsbestOS

#35 - lazybuntu - September 30, 2010 // 9:39 pm
lazybuntu's Avatar
Got my second PS3 today, just gotta build me a jailbreaker now

Linux on slim is mmm mmm good.

#34 - shackleford420 - September 30, 2010 // 8:36 pm
shackleford420's Avatar
ah I see. thanks for clearing that up. Still, full RSX access at some point will be great!

#33 - Zeratul - September 30, 2010 // 7:37 pm
Zeratul's Avatar
Yes. You are wrong. This exploit run linux same with OtherOS, but give full access to RSX. It's mind: privileges for hardware will be limited by hypervisor.

But in future we can wait new exploits for hypervisor access and full CFW.

#32 - pip1 - September 30, 2010 // 7:32 pm
pip1's Avatar
Having access and linux knowing how to use it are two very different things. I don't want to keep sounding like a downer but linux on ps3 sounds cooler than it is or probibly will ever be. In fact I Bet that if a rsx driver gets written it would run in other os also.

#31 - shackleford420 - September 30, 2010 // 5:31 pm
shackleford420's Avatar
I may be wrong here, but it seems to me like this is a boot loader to run linux native on the ps3, as in without using OtherOS at all (the same way you can run DSL linux on modded original xbox) This for linux fans like myself is HUGE. Running it native on the ps3 hardware means no hypervisor, wich means full access to the RSX, hard drive and bluray drive.

again, I could be completely wrong here, if I am someone more informed than myself please correct me so I dont get my hopes to high about this

(my first post here btw)

#30 - ekrboi - September 30, 2010 // 3:11 pm
ekrboi's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by jackpollack View Post
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive alternative to the nokia n900 or beagleboard that marcan42 is using?

keep checking ebay... friend of mine found a teensy 2.0 ++ (128k mem) on there the other day for $50 shipped.. thats not bad if us ask me considering we all knew the prices were going to get inflated because of this. I also have a teensy2++ but i was lucky enough to get one at normal price before they sold out =P

#29 - Luisp1nt0 - September 30, 2010 // 3:07 pm
Luisp1nt0's Avatar
About the RSX driver there was a lot of people trying to help develop it but "Egohot" just ignored that people so the movement lost some steam... now i believe if you guys can crack open Linux again in ps3 with full access to the HV for sure someone will come forward with a working driver.

You guys can read some info about it here:

also there are some posts here in ps3news that you can check, like this one that its quite interesting...

Imagine having Linux working with the full power of ps3... a home supercomputer for 400 Euros seems quite a deal! Breaking some encrypted keys with that power will be a good business in the future

#28 - magiker - September 30, 2010 // 2:58 pm
magiker's Avatar
Tuxedo? Tuxego? Would be amazing to get Linux back! With proper memory access and perhaps also proper HW access? Then Driver development can start.

#27 - jackpollack - September 30, 2010 // 2:43 pm
jackpollack's Avatar
All very exciting news. Only downside so far that i can see is the rather hefty (40k) memory requirement for the JB device. (Most of the inexpensive dongles and boards are only 16k.)

#26 - ekrboi - September 30, 2010 // 2:41 pm
ekrboi's Avatar
now were talkin! stuff is starting to get interesting.. from what i've gathered it uses a modified payload to load the linux bootloader.. nows where it looks like the interesting stuff begins to take place.. it says it disables and destroys all 7 spe's one of which is where the hypervisor is loaded.. so no more LV1 looking over our shoulders... i then see where linux recreates the spe's for use..

once we are able to load linux are there currently drivers that will work with most of the hardware in the PS3? or will those have to be re written? seems like all the drivers we use to use with OtherOS wouldn't work because they have to do their work through LV1 which no longer exists?

I seem to recall an IMB blade server that is pretty much the same hardware as the ps3... will the drivers this machine uses work with the ps3 since it seems like we will be able to run linux at a hardware level and not at mercy of the hypervisor?

just random thoughts i was having while reading the main post! please feel free to correct me or add to my thoughts!