February 1, 2011 // 10:04 am
- Today PlayStation 3 hacker KaKaRoToKS
has announced news of PS3MFW, a PS3 Modified Firmware project!
From the official site (linked above): We have just been informed by an anonymous source that a new modified firmware-project is underway: Project PS3MFW.
There are several contributors, some of whom are well-known within the PS3 homebrew community but wish to remain anonymous. However, we were told that KaKaRoTo is playing an important role in the project.
The purpose of Project PS3MFW is the development of a customizable tool that creates modified firmware for Playstation 3 with many great features not available in current solutions. It provides a framework where each firmware modification task is an independent plugin with access to an API that facilitates the modification process. One important feature is that the project will be entirely open source, as opposed to every other MFW released to date.
The tool will be called “PS3MFW Builder”, and it will work in conjunction with several other utilities.
Project PS3MFW is an ongoing project; anyone qualified can contribute. A release of the PS3MFW Builder v0.1 is imminent.
Updates from KaKaRoToKS
via Twitter: PS3MFW has ~65 customization options, the backend is robust and does a lot of checks, we tested almost every combination, on 3.15, 3.41 and 3.55 and tested it on over 15 different PS3 models, we had no bricks at all.
The "Task options" you see are just for the "clean video" task, each task has its own options that you access with the 'configure' button
FYI, in the screenshot, that "theme" option is just about the GUI theme, has nothing to do with the generated PUP.
For now the tool doesn't support 3.56, but it works and was tested on 3.15, 3.41 and 3.55. I will release more information later: ps3mfw.com
PS3MFW Builder v0.1 Features:
- Show verbose debugging information
- Disable log output
- Custom PUP build version
- If set, overrides the entire PUP version string
- Prefix to add to the PUP version string
- Suffix to add to the PUP version string
- Add new icons to the XMB Game category
- Patch LV1 Hypervisor
- Patch package installer to allow installation of unsigned .pkg
- Patch the Application launcher to allow running of unsigned application
- Add a custom message to the "New Features" installation screen
- Clean unwanted icons from the XMB Photo Category
- Clean unwanted icons from the XMB Music Category
- Clean unwanted icons from the XMB Video Category
- Clean unwanted icons from the XMB Game Category
- Clean unwanted icons from the XMB Network Category
- Clean unwanted icons from the XMB Playstation Network Category
- Clean unwanted icons from the XMB Friends Category
- Remove "BD Data Utility" icon from the XMB Video Category
- Remove "Search for Media Servers" icon from the XMB Video Category
- Remove "Network Media Servers" icon from the XMB Video Category
- Remove "Video Editor & Uploader" icon from the XMB Video Category
- Remove "Netflix" icon from the XMB Video Category
- Remove "PlayStation Store" icon from the XMB Video Category
- Windows native
- XP Native