January 6, 2011 // 12:35 am
- Today I received two PS3 USB JailBreak 2.5" Slim External Enclosures from PS3USBJailBreak.com
to review, one with a 500GB HDD & one without.
When the DHL truck arrived today i was excited, the samples were finally here! The packaging wasn't the best but it was acceptable.
The enclosures were in a thin plastic box that was then wrapped in bubble wrap with about 2 miles of tape wrapped around to hold the bubble wrap. Wasn't pretty but it worked!
I must say this is a very nice product, in a nutshell it is a PS3 USB Jailbreak Adapter (AT64S) with a 500GB Seagate HDD (upgradable) inside an slim external enclosure. It will jailbreak your ps3 & store your games all on the same device. The best feature in my opinion is that it comes preloaded with 40+ PS3 Games! Games like GOWIII, Dante's Inferno, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Soul Caliber IV, NBA Jam, NBA2k11, Assassins Creed: Brotherhood, Mirrors Edge. The list goes on & on!
The Web site printed on the enclosure doesn't feature this new product on their site yet, but it does have the essential information and software
needed to flash the built in PS3USBJailbreak.
Surprisingly, the enclosure came pre-flashed with HermesV4b 3.50 Spoofing payload. The flashing software was included on the HDD, along with some backup managers like Open Backup Manger & Gaia. The package did not include any kind of instructions about the setup & usage of this device, but all the information a person needs about flashing, installing PKGs, backing up games, etc is on PS3USBJailbreak.com
This product can be used as a Jailbreak Device W/O the HDD attached so the HDD can be considered optional I guess. When the device is initially plugged into a PC it will be recognized as HDD. To program the device with a new hex, you will need to press & hold a very small button while plugging in the usb cable. It is then in a programmable state & can be flashed with ANY hex no matter if AMTEL or PIC based. It's a bit of a hassle but after the first 2-3 times it gets easier.
This task is much easier when it is outside of the case and the button can be pressed more easily. The procedure for jailbreaking a PS3 with this device is no different than any other JB device. Turn off PS3 power switch, plug in device, flip the switch ON, Hit power, then eject. You know the drill!
That about wraps it up i believe. I would like to thank you PS3 News for the opportunity to review this sample product. I hope that in the future I can be called upon to write reviews for new sample products.
If anyone has any questions about the product, please reply in the thread and I will do my best to answer them.
Overall I'll give this device a 7 out of 10
• Fast shipping (DHL)
• USB 2.0 transfer rate up to 480Mbps
• USB 1.1 Compatible
• Completely Plug and Play
• Durable Aluminum Case
• PS3 USB Jailbreak Built In (AT64S)
• 64k Flash
• Preloaded with 40+ PS3 Games
• Preloaded with Ps3USBJailBreak Programming Tool V1.2.9
• Preloaded with GaiaMANAGER 1.03.1.pkg, OpenBM 1.17.2.pkg, & others.
• Flash ANY Hex Code (AMTEL based or PIC based)
• Pre-flashed HermesV4b w/ 3.50 spoofing
• Can be used for Downgrading (Files not Included)
• Can be used solely as a Jailbreak device or External HDD
• Compact in size
• HDD not secured to enclosure, shakes around when moved
• Small button to push when putting device in programmable state
• Short USB Cable
• No instructions included in package
• Games listed inside GAMEZ folder were Chinese (manually renamed)
• Uses 2 usb ports
• Cannot be used with a USB Hub on PS3 or PC