- Today PlayStation 3 hacker Geoffrey Levand
(or at least someone using his name
) has released a PS3 Dual Boot GameOS / Linux Custom Firmware (CFW) which allows the dual-booting of both GameOS and OtherOS.
PS3 Custom Firmware Downloads: (Updated file links HERE
PS3 Custom Firmware Download Mirrors:
PS3 CFW Tools:
PS3 Dual Boot GameOS / Linux CFW
Note: Currently to start OtherOS. boot_otheros.pkg then reboot.pkg and that will load petitboot. Slim users (Version 1.0-r0) you must unload the slim usb drivers in order to boot.
ps3mfw/tasks/patch_profile.tcl is to be considered unstable and should not be used at this time.
All tools beep twice if they succeed !!!
Source code for all tools and patches is freely available. Create your own dual boot. git.gitbrew.org/ps3/
- Into HV integrated OtherOS bootloader loader (compatible with OtherOS bootloader on 3.15)
- OtherOS bootloader is booted directly from HV, no GameOS is involved.
- Process of booting OtherOS bootloader loader is very similar to 3.15 method
- Booting Linux from HDD/USB/BD/Network
- Linux with GameOS rights
- Full access to all HV SS services (Dispatcher Manager) from GameOS or Linux
- Full access to all System Manager services
- Ability to create/modify/remove repository nodes in LPAR 1 (e.g. with ps3dm-utils or ps3hvc-utils). This ability gives you much power over the whole system because many layers of PS3 use repository nodes to exchange information.
- Enabled QA mode in Update Manager
- Downgrading without USB dongle or Service Mode
- Ability to deactivate/activate HDD/VFLASH encryption (e.g. with ps3stor-utils)
- Suuport for ps3-utils. You can flash new OtherOS bootloader from Linux e.g.
- Tested 3.41 and 3.55 on PS3 Slim with Gentoo and Debian Squeeze but should work on PS3 Fat without problems
- Bug reports are welcome, send it please to [email]email@example.com[/email]
Work in progress:
Installing OtherOS bootloader
- Creating OtherOS partitions directly on HDD (not VFLASH)
- Permanently disabling HDD/VFLASH encryption
- Mapping of HTAB with R/W permission
- SYSCON access from LPAR 2
- FreeBSD support
Booting OtherOS bootloader
- Tested ONLY on PS3 models with VFLASH
- During deleting of VFLASH regions GameOS will ask you to reinstall firmware, don't do it, just press PS3 button and continue
- I use petitboot as OtherOS bootloader. You could use a different one.
- The following order of steps is important
- Delete VFLASH region 6
- Delete VFLASH region 5
- Create VFLASH region 5
- Create VFLASH region 6
- Install OtherOS bootloader on VFLASH with "Install OtherOS"
Creating a VFLASH partition for Linux
- Run "Boot OtherOS"
- Reboot GameOS with "Reboot"
Installing Linux with petitboot
- Works ONLY on PS3 models with VFLASH
- Warning: All your HDD data will be lost, so make a backup
- I'm currently working on a solution for PS3 models with NAND flash
- Resize VFLASH (creates a 40GB free space on VFLASH, if you need more then feel free to recompile it)
- Reboot GameOS
- Create VFLASH region 7
Installing Gentoo GNU/Linux from a Unix/Linux System
Partitioning with fdisk
Booting Linux with petitboot
- I used petitboot to install Debian and Gentoo on VFLASH
- I used fdisk to partition ps3vflashh
- Make sure you create a swap partition
- Creating a ready to use Linux distribution images is a work in progress
- USB driver in petitboot has problems on PS3 Slim. The problem lies in Linux USB driver.
- Currently i'm trying to fix this problem in Linux kernel
- I temporarily use my boot_linux.sh script to boot a Linux installed on VFLASH from petitboot