March 24, 2014 // 1:53 pm
- Square Enix Community Project Manager Hergen Thaens
outlined what a subscription gets PS4 fans in Final Fantasy XIV on PlayStation 4 today.
All of the details are below, to quote: Today's Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn post is especially interesting for those of you that have never played a subscription MMO before, as well as those of you who wonder if a monthly subscription is really for you.
When you buy a single-player game, the expectation is usually the same. Buy the game for the full price, and some DLC will follow. Final Fantasy XIV is fundamentally different, as it's an MMO that will run for years.
With Final Fantasy XIV, your subscription fee will guarantee you regular content updates throughout the lifetime of the game. The first update hit last December with Patch 2.1: A Realm Awoken, and we've just launched the feature site for Patch 2.2: Through the Maelstrom
Just a few features (not even all) that will have been added to the original game with 2.1 and 2.2 updates:
• New Main Scenario Quests, continuing your story
• Two new raids
• New Dungeons
• New Dungeon Hard Modes
• New primals to fight: Leviathan and Good King Moggle-Mog XII
• A new difficulty for primal fights, Extreme Mode
• Player versus Player Combat
• Treasure Hunts
• New factions (Beast Tribes) with Daily Quests
• Tons upon tons of new quests of all kinds
• New customization options for your characters
• Tons of optimizations and new features for the game
• ...and the list goes on and on (honestly, it does - you can check out the patch notes for Update 2.1 here
There's something in it for everyone - no matter if you like to casually make your way through the game, or if you're a hardcore, endgame raider. And remember: all of that for the subscription fee starting at $12.99, no PlayStation Plus required.
But it doesn't end there; we've got a lot of stuff planned for the future. You've learned by now that there's housing - how about having a basement in your house where you and your mates can build your own airship? Awesome, right?
This is what you get for your subscription: a world that will constantly evolve and expand, for years and years to come. If you want to have a go at it, remember that our second PS4 beta phase will take place from April 4th to the 7th (and yes, you'll be able to carry characters created during beta 2 into the final game).
We're launching on April 14th, and if you want in, feel free to pre-order now
. Looking forward to seeing you all in Eorzea!