March 5, 2014 // 10:40 pm
- Following up on the previous
PS4 news, today PlayStation 4 developer creighton
shared a new PS4 Video Streaming method that allows users to stream video from your PC to your PlayStation 4 console with details below.
To quote: PS4 Video Streaming - Stream video from your PC to your PS4
I built this a couple months ago after getting my PS4 and realizing I couldn't stream anything to it. Decided to clean it up, write some short instructions, and release it for others to use. I've also seen another release elsewhere that is very similar to this, but my hope is that my release provides more information, makes it as easy as possible to accomplish this, and provides a video list/library.
As of right now, you can only stream videos to your PS4 using the built-in web browser. This is accomplished through an HTML5 video player saved into an webpage on your computer and hosted via a file server. You can then point the PS4's web browser to your computer's file server via LAN IP address and the HTML5 player will stream your video file.
This release includes everything you need (minus video files) to get this up and running on your computer - it's very easy and fast. The player on the webpage allows for fullscreen, and in my testing I haven't encountered a single issue - it even works flawlessly for high-bitrate 1080p video content.
As an added bonus, several of my tests have confirmed that the PS4 does not currently have Cinavia protection for content played within its web browser. I must also note that I have not tested streaming over WiFi, however the player buffers the file as it plays (seems the PS4 allows for it to cache 128MB into memory), so if it has trouble playing you can pause it for a minute to allow it to buffer more.
If someone can record video from their PC and PS4 and wishes to make a video tutorial, that would be great.
Update 2 / 2.5 Changes:
- Subtitle support (beta)
- Automatic fullscreen upon file selection
- A few code/method improvements
- [2.5] Subtitles are enabled by default if they are included
PS4 Streaming Video - Update 1
- File container/extension must be mp4
- Video must be encoded in H264 and audio in AAC
- MKV files can be quickly remuxed to MP4 using Rebox.NET (link in Tools section)
- Torrent releases encoded by the YIFY group work perfectly for this (link in Tools section)
- HFS must be located in the same directory as the included 'filelist.tpl' file
- Avoid using special characters in your video filenames (ex: apostrophes)
- Place your videos inside the 'mp4' folder
- Open 'HFS' (file server used to stream from your PC to PS4)
- If it's your first time running it, you may have to add a Windows Firewall exception and change the default port
- Drag and drop the 'mp4' folder and 'index.html' into HFS
- If HFS asks for a folder type when adding the 'mp4' folder, select 'Real folder'
- Navigate to the server on the PS4's web browser (ex: 192.168.1.100:2010/index.html)
- Bookmark the page on your PS4 for easy future access
- Select a video from the list and it will begin playing
- Click the button on the player to go fullscreen
- Rebox.NET - mkv -> mp4 - videonet.webspace.virginmedia.com/p_reboxnet.html
- Video.NET - various -> mp4 - videonet.webspace.virginmedia.com/p_videonet.html
- HFS - rejetto.com/hfs/
- Video.js - videojs.com
Finally, in related PlayStation 4 homebrew news PS4 developer BP9k
announced he is experimenting with some decompiled Vudu scripts running sandboxed on PS4 with details below via IRC, as follows:
[BP9k] MemoryEmergencyCap = 20000000, MemoryComfortCap = 15000000, MemoryMinCap = 5000000, MemoryIncCap = 1000000,
[BP9k] Standard sanbox mem limits
[BP9k] MemoryEmergencyCap = 8750000 MemoryComfortCap = 7500000 MemoryMinCap = 5000000 MemoryIncCap = 750000
[BP9k] Limited memory sandbox
[eussNL] toying with http://www.mono-project.com/MonoSandbox
[eussNL] in case you missed it, several psm mono is listed/mirrored at vitadevwiki.com/index.php?title=Talk:Licensing (below)
[BP9k] Yea that should help, thanks
[BP9k] Decompiled vudu scripts running sandboxed on ps4: