May 19, 2008 // 4:20 pm
- The PlayStation 2, being known as a Japanese console, was famous for the amount of Japanese and Western RPGs in it's library. With games like Kingdom Hearts I, Kingdom Hearts II, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Persona 3, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, Wild Arms 3, Final Fantasy X, and Suikoden III, and more in it's library, it was the premier console for RPG fans.
Today, the PLAYSTATION 3 features a little amount of RPGs. Some would not even be considered an RPG, even though it is listed in that genre. Lets go down a list of currently released RPGs for the PLAYSTATION 3, or games listed as an RPG.
- Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
- Enchanted Arms
- Folklore (Exclusive)
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance
- Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom (Exclusive)
Those are about it. Over a year and a half, the PLAYSTATION 3 has been in our homes and we've only been catered to about one or two good RPGs. Although, we have a great line-up of RPGs coming "sometime" in the future. Lets take a look at that list.
- Alpha Protocol (Q1 2009)
- Amphibian Man (Exclusive) (TBA)
- Borderlands (2009)
- Cross Edge (Exclusive) (2009)
- Disgaea 3 (Exclusive) (2008)
- Elveon (2009)
- Eternal Sonata (Stolen Exclusive) (2008)
- Fallout 3 (October 2008)
- Final Fantasy XIII (Exclusive) (2009)
- Final Fantasy Versus XIII (Exclusive) (2009)
- Free Realms (Exclusive) (Q3 2008)
- Golden Axe: Beast Rider (2008)
- Gothic IV (2009)
- The Last Remnant (2008)
- Rise of the Argonauts (2008)
- Shin Megami Tensei PS3 (Exclusive) (2009)
- Star Ocean 4 (Exclusive) (2009)
- Steambot Chronicles 2 (Exclusive) (TBA)
- Sunrise Eiyuutan PS3 (Exclusive) (TBA)
- Two Worlds (Stolen Exclusive) (2008)
- Valkyria Chronicles (Exclusive) (November 2009)
- White Knight Chronicles (Exclusive) (2009)
Then there are all the projects yet untitled (all exclusive):
- Cavia PS3 Action-RPG
- Gust PS3 RPG Project
- Hudson Soft PS3 RPG Project
- Konami PS3 RPG
- Namco PS3 RPG Project
- Success PS3 RPG
- tri-Crescendo PS3 Project
Now as you can see, the PLAYSTATION 3 has the majority in exclusives. My only downs are not having Mass Effect, Tales of Vesperia, and Infinite Undiscovery on the system. The only thing I wonder is: why is it taking so long to deploy these RPGs?
As of now we are stuck with shooting (mostly), racing, action, adventure, fighting, and puzzle titles. Need some motivation? Here is my $60 bucks.