August 19, 2009 // 9:55 pm - Pictured below is the PlayStation 3 Slim's new stand, which costs a whopping $24 if you plan to get one when it's available.

It works by laying flat on whatever surface you deem fit, and then it holds your new gaming console upright.

The folks over at Kotaku (linked above) have done a simple PS3 Slim standing test, to see if the fancy accessory is a necessity or not.

To quote stephentotilo, who shared the video on YouTube:

"Can the PlayStation 3 Slim stand without its fancy stand? Being a vertical-system guy, I had to test this."

Check out the video below for the result...

Video: PS3 Slim Standing Test, PlayStation 3 Slim Stand Hits

#10 - BlingOnMyWrist - August 20, 2009 // 3:26 pm
BlingOnMyWrist's Avatar
Wow. $24 is steep for a piece of plastic. I would just lay mine horizontal or just buy some rubber tabs to put on one side. That would probably keep it from wobbling.

It just dawned on me that you could just get some fancy book-ends to hold it up.

#9 - saioke - August 20, 2009 // 1:59 pm
saioke's Avatar
there are ways you can make your own stand out of materials way less than $24. if all else fails, use duct tape on the bottom of the slim ps3 to make it more secure. I'm kidding haha, however i did do the same with my surround sound system so it wouldn't fall off my stand like it always did.

$24 bucks? really? might as well keep the slim ps3 in the vertical position.

Quote Originally Posted by idone View Post
I can't believe they would charge $24 for that stand

You can bet there will be some better looking, more functional, CHEAPER third parts stands to hit the market soon if sony thinks they can tax people that hard for something so cheap

that's freaking 1/12th the price of the system!!!!

well, considering the psp GO! will be around the same price point as the ps3 now, you'd think they would learn.

#8 - idone - August 20, 2009 // 12:10 pm
idone's Avatar
I can't believe they would charge $24 for that stand

that's freaking 1/12th the price of the system!!!!

#7 - Darkskyva - August 20, 2009 // 10:52 am
Darkskyva's Avatar
i like his house lol.. nice living room

#6 - kakotetilla - August 20, 2009 // 10:46 am
kakotetilla's Avatar
I think Sony must include the base.

#5 - mihaiolimpiu - August 20, 2009 // 3:14 am
mihaiolimpiu's Avatar
Best comment ever, it was my exact thought after I read the posted article...

At least it won't wobble

#4 - lonix81 - August 20, 2009 // 2:26 am
lonix81's Avatar
I might make some out of polycarbonate and sell them for 15 bucks.

#3 - mihaiolimpiu - August 20, 2009 // 2:08 am
mihaiolimpiu's Avatar
WHAT?? this is the most stupid test I've ever seen... man.. look it stands... OK I KNOW .. If you try hard enough you can make a pencil stand but is it stable... no.. it also has a little wobble but is it secure.. no..!!

#2 - PS4 News - August 19, 2009 // 10:20 pm
Indeed.. at $24 for the stand if I didn't know better I'd think Bobby Kotick was behind pricing it.

#1 - Preceptor - August 19, 2009 // 10:18 pm
Preceptor's Avatar
I was wondering if it could stand up by itself. I would conclude it can't... I wouldn't call that standing...
Anyway, it's an interesting video nonetheless.

Cheers