- Earlier today we reported on speculation
that PS4 could be based on Cell Architecture.
As a follow-up, camineet
of NeoGAF points out the following via PC.Watch.Impress.co.jp
Goto Hiroshige has received PSX4 spec info from Japanese developer sources who received preliminary spec from SCEI for developer feedback (whom Goto refuses to name due to NDA).
- SCEI has sent rough PSX4 spec to 3rd party developers for feed back. Based on the description, PSX4 is a Wii-tized PSX3, no more than 2X as powerful.
- SCEI wants to beat Xbox 3 to launch. 2011 is the deadline, or sooner.
- SCEI pulled all its engineers from IBM Texas, and there is no new CELL architecture being developed. PSX4 will use same CELL architecture with improvements.
- SCEI will dump XDR and use standard JEDEC memory type (GDDR3/DDR3) for main memory.
And so the PlayStation 4 rumor wagon travels onward...