PS4 News on Facebook! PS4 News on Twitter! PS4 News on YouTube! PS4 News RSS Feed!

Home PS4 News - Latest PlayStation 4 and PS3 News

285w ago - Those who balked over the MAG PS3 Beta size may want to take a time out and breathe before you consider downloading Record of Agarest from Sony's PlayStation Network.

Siliconera.com is reporting that according to Aksys employee Belisarius it is estimated to weigh in at around 8 to 10 gigs in size.

Obviously, eight to ten gigabytes isn't going to be a space issue for most people's PS3 hard drive, however, the time it'll take to download via PSN is another story.

To quote: "All right guys, I figured you might like to hear a reasonably official word on this, so here it is:

I asked around, and it looks like the final size is going to be somewhere around 8-10 gigs. It sounds like a lot, I know, but I've been downloading the debug ROMs at home to take the load off our office internet, and they only take a few hours--I usually start them when I leave for work, and they're done by lunch. My internet connection is nothing special either--about 500 kb/s on a good day.

So there you have it. 8-10 gigs. We should a more solid number closer to release."

Record of Agarest War for PS3 to Be Largest PSN Game Ever

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene and PS4 Hacks & JailBreak updates with PlayStation 4 homebrew PS4 Downloads.




#20 - CJPC - 285w ago
CJPC's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by Nistelroy78 View Post

But if they use correct coding, they can actually make the game download main / core files for game, and then decide if you want to let it download in background while playing - So you maybe from start have the first 50 % of the game on HDD - And the rest is actually continous downloading in background


That's not a bad idea - the only two issues I see with it, namely many Dev's at times use "BIG" files, I mean a handful of 4gb files, that are most of the content - I suppose if it was split up, it would be good.

Secondly, you thought loading times from BD was slow, imagine loading times over the internet! I mean, considering you could fly through a game level before the next downloads, if it was done correct however, it could work quite well.

#19 - Nistelroy78 - 285w ago
Nistelroy78's Avatar
First i would like to comment the Argentine Guy - Because he seem to think Argentina Retailers er taken overprice - and i know people from South America in general dont earn same kind of money as we do in Europe, or Scandinavia just to mention - I live in Denmark, and you wouldnt believe this but we actually have one of the most expensive countries in the world. And a fact you "Cry" over like 50 Dollars, make me think that even you have lower average income than a average annual income in Denmark, you still save more money, than you think - You Actually only pay for the Distribution of a blu-ray disc, the Money for the producers of the Game, Money for the Carriers there ships it.

Here in Denmark, we pay the amount of 75-90 Dollars, for PS3 Game, and this is because our country takeii like 25 % Tax on every thing there is being sold - Sov if the price is your only decision for downloading then , you make should think "How much money will it cost you in inactive time to set the PS3 to download maybe up to 6-8 hours , where you cant use the PS3.

Back to Topic

I actually dont think , this is going being any problem, and actually i would believe when a game is that big, (Or actually its kind of Small Size, when you know that a Blu-Ray can have at least 50 GB on) .. i Know the author mention the Debug Version was like 6-8 hours but, that is Debug Version this need to be full - But if they use correct coding, they can actually make the game download main / core files for game, and then decide if you want to let it download in background while playing - So you maybe from start have the first 50 % of the game on HDD - And the rest is actually continous downloading in background - But the idea of all big games is becoming PSN availible im not fan of. Because this will actually give a issue if you buy a game , and you dont actually like it - Then you have spend money you not can at least get some back from and buy a new as a trade in.- I have bougt Burnout Paradise but it was because it was the easiest way but not cheapest,because actually was the price like 20-30 Danish Kroner (Its about 6-8 Dollars depend on the rate and at that time the Dollars was higher than normal so when it was on the creditcard note i saw it. -

The good part with this is you can just turn on the PS3 , and dont think about changing Disc if you have another in it. It was probaly also the reason i actually play it so much because when i get home after 12 hours work and finally sit in sofa to watch TV and there isnt anything i want to see then its actually comfortable just to turn on with the controller , watch through the game list and press Start. I was also almost doing it with Warhawk but i thought it was maybe not my kind of game, so i bought in on Disc , so i could exchange it if i didnt like it - But i did so its still in my collection

#18 - adrianc1982 - 285w ago
adrianc1982's Avatar
We have retail stores here in mexico which are not too expensive the games usually cost 10 - 12 usd more than in usa, which is fair considering taxes and whatnot. The real problem is they have the newest games and most popular sure they can have a 2007 game but thats because its a greatest hit, even 2005 games but again its because its a great seller. Sales move the stock here and thats the problem.

Games are not available the ones you want, if its a couple of years old forget it no way you are getting it by legal ways. Sure amazon carrys all the ps2, ps3 library and very cheap by the way but customs fees plus international shipping rates make the game skyrocket and you have to fill in papers sometimes to get your game. Also remember it can easily get stolen by the customs or any other mail carrier since its an international shipping they know its hard to complain, not imposible just hard. So yeah the psn is a great alternative.

Also street dates, a couple of months ago we didnt have the same street dates as the USA, a title could take up to 3 weeks or even a month to arrive at retails stores here. Since september I think we now have the exact same street dates as the USA(thank god), but my only real complain in my country is the library, thats the only problem, adding 10 dlls to the final price is okay with me. Sorry for the long post and sorry if Im getting off topic, just wanted to be a little informative for people outside the USA.

#17 - dc740 - 285w ago
dc740's Avatar
I don't buy it using Amazon or any other online seller cause:
the shipping costs are not so low.
+
the VERY HIGH custom duties make the price of the product almost twice as expensive as a regular product when it arrives Argentina.

In the end... there are three ways to buy a game in Argentina (which is a third world country, I have to admit):

*You buy it in the retail store at twice the original price
*You buy it online on places like ebay or whatevet you like. You still pay twice the original price, but you also have to worry about the customs. Sometimes they just decide to keep the product with them, and you have to fill a claim.
* You buy it at the PSN, at the real price. Which is an affordable price. But you have to hope that the game you want is available which is REALLY hard.

#16 - mnsmwo - 285w ago
mnsmwo's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by dc740 View Post
that's great! I would love to see more REAL games on the PSN. In Argentina, every game costs twice the original price (shipping costs, and the traders are basically stealing our money).

I bought Burnout at 20usd... guess what? the Bluray copy of the game costs 50 usd!!!!! That's way too much difference!

Living in a 3rd-world country myself (not saying that Argentina is one), I see much of the same problem here. But why don't you simply order the disc online? Burnout Paradise is less than $20 on Amazon right now, which is the price I just recently bought it at.

A bigger problem for me would be just what the article mentions: bigger downloads. The fastest broadband access here is 5 Mbps (ADSL) and is prohibitively expensive. Most people have less than 1 Mbps (technically not even broadband), and almost everyone still uses dialup. Downloading a 1GB demo off PSN takes me around 2-3 hours, so you can just imagine the time it'd take me to get 8GBs.

But, bigger file sizes is the natural way forward, and I only have myself to blame for living in this country. :-/

#15 - adrianc1982 - 285w ago
adrianc1982's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by dc740 View Post
There is no real reason to consider "Size".... I'm saying that they should be available in both formats. Most of the people that buys this games are from USA anda Canada? Well... you have to have a USA, EU, or Japanese account to get there... so yeah, the numbers will always say that...

I completely agree with you, not having this stuff on the psn is the real problem. I live in mexico (como estas?) and use the USA PSN to buy games and additional content for games, like maps and songs. The downloading time is not the issue, and even us in "developing" countrys have at least 2mb speeds. In fact here in mexico 2mb is the standard internet connection speed. No caps no limits.

#14 - dc740 - 285w ago
dc740's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by victorinox View Post
See some people forget that they think of the majority of people whom buy which are gonna be american/canadian... there are many reasons to consider size...

There is no real reason to consider "Size".... I'm saying that they should be available in both formats. Most of the people that buys this games are from USA anda Canada? Well... you have to have a USA, EU, or Japanese account to get there... so yeah, the numbers will always say that...

In Argentina, there is no PSN Store... so we have to use USA accounts. If they put real big games on the psn, I'm sure there is going to be a lot of people from other countries using those services. There aren't that many cause there is no support. and most people don't have idea about this.

No, I don't have download limits in my account. I don't know if there are a lot of people with your problem. In Argentina that's not a problem at all. So I would say you are wrong there. So from my point of view... the download size is a problem for a minority.

Also, you would always have the chance to buy the bluray disc instead of buying the online version... or you can buy a beautiful 500GB disc from the money you save buying things online...

Putting this huge games on the PSN is not bad from any point of view. You always have the choice to buy the bluray.

Not putting this games on the PSN IS a bad thing. cause you are missing a really big market. They could sell way more copies of a game than they do now.

#13 - netpredakonn - 285w ago
netpredakonn's Avatar
Well, it feels more than obvious that they should release a disc version also. 8 gb is almost a DL DVD. Anyway, it's always good to see more games coming the way of psn. The more choices the better.

#12 - adrianc1982 - 285w ago
adrianc1982's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by victorinox View Post
See some people forget that they think of the majority of people whom buy which are gonna be american/canadian... there are many reasons to consider size...

To each its own, like I said, games are not available everywhere and downloading its a solution, when you live far away from a country that sells those games. I live in mexico 180 miles away from USA, I can travel and buy some stuff and games but theres other people that live 800 miles away from USA and they are locked out to retail stores here in mexico.

Downloading its an option which you may want to take or not, it would be nice to have the option and also it would be nice to have a "steam-like" account where the games could be download anytime but to play you have to be logged in.

#11 - victorinox - 285w ago
victorinox's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by adrianc1982 View Post
I feel your pain, I would like to see games even though they were big on the psn, specially games that are not easy to find anymore. Im also outside USA and I dont have amazon/ebay to order just whatever game I want, I depend completly on retailers and they most of the time only have the new games or the most popular games.

Maybe this is the first step toward adding bigger games to the psn and like burnout we could soon see more ps3 complete titles. Lets also remember that a lot of games that are multiplatform fit perfectly well on a DVD and downloading 4 - 9 GB is no problem. Downloading can take a couple of hours or could be left over night to download, so what if it takes 12 hours, or 15 hours? Not a problem for most of us.

See some people forget that they think of the majority of people whom buy which are gonna be american/canadian... there are many reasons to consider size...

Limited space, though this isnt fully a space problem this will come into play *wont say more since this is about connection*
Limited download, not everyone can download 10 gb games like nothing, most connections have a cap like comcast, and a lot of other ones are much lower i recall a lot of people having ammounts around 50 or so gigs, and when you download a single game thats 1/5th of that, it REALLY makes you question doing it

Limited speed, not everyone can devote X hours to downloading 1 game, a lot nor is it even good for the ps3 leaving it on for 20+ hours, also lets face it downloading anything that i could have gone to the store and bought is gonna make very few people in favor of it.

a lot of other things come into play... since this game is a higher price one lets say its 40 usd which isnt too hard to conceive based off what we know of this game it keeps the same rules of all other 40 usd games.

those are for those whom dont know.

24 hour lock out
cant be gameshared *it will hurt sales a bit, not a LOT but a bit, and generally make it appeal less to people*
these games are account locked, so you cant use them on another account, even if you use them on the same PS3 you bought it... etc.

There are a lot of other things to consider, since its a minimal of 8 gig weight its gonna be something im gonna prob keep on my HDD forever, which makes me think if i always want to have 8 - 10/55 being 1 game forever...

I can keep going but just because lets say a total of 5% in minor area's that get screwed you dont care about download time, you have to think of those with lesser connections *its not as uncommon as you think... I live off 150 kbs download and even that is mostly uneeded since i mostly just download PSN titles (very rare) and surf the net, I think i could live with 60kbs and be fine, a lot of other families/people are like this* this greatly affects a lot of people