PS4 News on Facebook! PS4 News on Twitter! PS4 News on YouTube! PS4 News RSS Feed!

Home PS4 News - Latest PlayStation 4 and PS3 News

264w ago - As scheduled, today the PS3 Firmware 3.21 update is available for download and as Sony previously confirmed it disables the OtherOS functionality in an effort to make the PlayStation 3 entertainment system more secure.

Download: PS3 Firmware 3.21 Update (US) / PS3 Firmware Update 3.21 (EU)

PS3 hacker GeoHot (EgoHot to skeptics) has promised a solution to those who hold off updating their console which may include PS3 Custom Firmware alongside a Nouveau open-source PS3 RSX driver rumored to be in development.

More details to come as they are available, including a full PS3 Firmware version 3.21 changelog. At the moment, all that is available from the PlayStation Japan site according to TheSixthAxis.com is the following, to quote: "Firstly it appears the quality of of PlayStation format software from the Store has been improved, presumably referring to the PS1 functionality (FFIX?).

Secondly, it appears that the security of MP4 video playback has been boosted too, removing some vulnerabilities."

RSX objects:

0x0 -- 0x30 -- NV01_NULL
0x31337000 -- 0x4097 -- NV40TCL
0x31337303 -- 0x39 -- NV_MEMORY_TO_MEMORY_FORMAT
0x3137C0DE -- 0x39 -- NV_MEMORY_TO_MEMORY_FORMAT
0x31337A73 -- 0x309E -- NV40_SWIZZLED_SURFACE
0x313371C3 -- 0x3062 -- NV40_CONTEXT_SURFACES_2D
0x3137AF00 -- 0x3089 -- NV40_SCALED_IMAGE_FROM_MEMORY
0x31337808 -- 0x308A -- NV40_IMAGE_FROM_CPU

Changelog:

• The [Install Other OS] and [Default System] features have been deleted.
• The playback quality of some PlayStation® format software that is downloaded (as a purchase or for free) from PlayStation®Store has been improved.
• A security patch was added to address security vulnerabilities that may occur when playing MP4 format video files.

Finally, those who don't plan to update may want to check out the guides on How to Bypass PS3 Firmware 3.21 and Connect to PSN.

PS3 Firmware 3.21 Update Arrives, It Only Does Less Than It Did!

Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene and PlayStation 4 scene updates and fresh homebrew PS3 Downloads. Enjoy!


  • Sponsored Links




#96 - douglasbos - 264w ago
douglasbos's Avatar
I've been looking everywhere for a way to setup my own PS3 firmware bypass site because I really don't trust the one that everyone has been saying to use. I'd rather be sure my passwords, etc. are safe. Thanks!

#95 - ekrboi - 264w ago
ekrboi's Avatar
Ahh! I see where your coming from.. I agree could get interesting.

#94 - ruger1234 - 264w ago
ruger1234's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by ekrboi View Post
i understand what your saying but i think you missed my point.. if there is no more OtherOS in 3.21.. then did they remove the functions of the HV function that pertain solely to otherOS? Or worse.. cant be hard to write a few lines of code to make the HV panic if say some particular linux bootloader code is found in memory stopping you from even booting into linux to exploit it.. I dunno.. many thoughts.. i'm just interested to see his method when/if it arrives.. i hope it is a cfw and not a workaround to getting to linux (custom bootloader.. etc)

Yeah, I am looking at it from another angle, and did not intend to following up on your point. It seems that hardware attacks in general challenge the very fundamentals of current generation consoles, and provide the last ingrediant in the "vulnerability cocktail" needed for a practical exploit. Therefore I am interested in how Sony decides to fix the underlying issues.

It should be no surprise if 3.21 is just a "quick fix". I only can imagine the QA people pulling their hair when the security people want to update the hypervisor and other relevant components to prevent glitching attacks. That sounds like a pretty complex task with a high risk for stability issues, compared to simply stripping out or just disabling OtherOS. It will be interesting to find out...

#93 - ekrboi - 264w ago
ekrboi's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by ruger1234 View Post
I am wondering about this too...

Did they in 3.21 also update the way the HV deallocates memory? (Which is a key weakness exploited by the PoC exploit) And what would be the performance hit of doing that as suggested in the tutorials? (extra verification)


i understand what your saying but i think you missed my point.. if there is no more OtherOS in 3.21.. then did they remove the functions of the HV function that pertain solely to otherOS? Or worse.. cant be hard to write a few lines of code to make the HV panic if say some particular linux bootloader code is found in memory stopping you from even booting into linux to exploit it.. I dunno.. many thoughts.. i'm just interested to see his method when/if it arrives.. i hope it is a cfw and not a workaround to getting to linux (custom bootloader.. etc)

#92 - ruger1234 - 264w ago
ruger1234's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by ekrboi View Post
i would assume they have made changes to the hypervisor as well..

I am wondering about this too...

Did they in 3.21 also update the way the HV deallocates memory? (Which is a key weakness exploited by the PoC exploit) And what would be the performance hit of doing that as suggested in the tutorials? (extra verification)

#91 - ekrboi - 264w ago
ekrboi's Avatar
Thinking on geo talking about a cf 3.21.. supposedly he's done it already.. he suppose to be making a video soon to "prove" it.. until we know how he does it.. it has me wondering.. if sony removed the otheros feature.. how does the 3.21 hypervisor even react to loading otheros? i would assume they have made changes to the hypervisor as well.. or maybe they(sony) really did just change a 1 to a 0.

i know he didnt just make a 3.15fw report as 3.21 because he was looking for something else new in 3.21 to show in the video to prove it was really 3.21... but anyway you slice it hes managed to either 'officially' sign his cfw (unlikely..) or has managed to bypass the bootloaders signing checks to load an unsigned GameOS (total ps3 hackedness!).. If hes managed to bypass the bootloader checks.. then in theory wouldnt a hypervisorless linux install be possible? I do remember a comment he made somewhere basically saying "who said you cant use a PS3 to sign stuff?"

Just random thoughts that have been going through my head in the last couple of days.. maybe someone who understands the ps3 security better than I has some insight to my thoughts.

On another note to the slim owners.. he has a slim and is/will be working on adding otheros to the slims.. he said he's just waiting on his infectus chip to arrive..

#90 - Nabucodonosor - 264w ago
Nabucodonosor's Avatar
Every person that purchased a PS3 "fat" has the right to reclaim a reimbursement proportional to the specifications taken off the machine, better yet, reclaim the difference on price between "fat" PS3 and the "slim" one (around US$300) Sony must do this otherwise the move can be called a swindle.

#89 - karl842 - 264w ago
karl842's Avatar
is there any way to use proxy, but at the same time also have media center capability? Seem to be getting A LOT of errors with media streaming while not using proxy and being connected to the network. Dunno if it's random or not but being able to have a 1 in all solution would be sweet none the less.

@ KEV
You need 2 port open the app for incoming at your firewall.

#88 - nipsen - 264w ago
nipsen's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by kenshin33 View Post
And they would be more or less right.

Power IS in numbers. if a critical mass of people said FU we wont upgrade and we wont buy anything anymore ... it will take -ideally- no time for theme to get the feature back and running.

so ina mood for a strike ??

Mm. Not installing the update, and I won't buy anything off the PSN.. meh..

Anyway - the "majority" argument is flawed, though. The problem with it is that if you create something only "most people" want - then by the time you actually have this product, a majority won't like it. Because now it's too narrow and targeted. Or, enough different parts of the market dislikes it at the same time.

I mean, that's the entire point with the ps3 - it does a lot of different things. Same as the ps2 - it appealed to very different gamers because it had a lot of different games. But you see that as time passes now, Sony becomes more and more interested in streamlining their products, instead of making something more genuine. See it on the games, and on the store content as well..

#87 - moneymaker - 264w ago
moneymaker's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by Kev7381 View Post
Somebody know the problem?

Unfortunately nobody here is using a crystal ball... beside the jokes there could be plenty of reasons, try this thread to ask and/or analyze... it's the most appropriate:

http://www.ps4news.com/forums/ps3-hacks/how-bypass-ps3-firmware-3-21-connect-psn-110382.html