Sponsored Links

PS4 News on Facebook! PS4 News on Twitter! PS4 News on YouTube! PS4 News RSS Feed!
Sponsored Links

Home PS4 News - Latest PlayStation 4 and PS3 News

PS3 Devs Seeking Dead Blu-ray Drive From Firmware 3.0 Update


Sponsored Links
281w ago - Recently Sony became involved in a class action suit over PS3 Firmware 3.0 issues.

The PS3 Devs are currently seeking someone to donate (or sell, if necessary) a PS3 Blu-ray drive that is confirmed to be dead from the v3.00 Firmware Update that Sony recently pulled.

It would also help if those who can't offer their dead drives could reply with their drive details.

For example, what type of PS3 console (CExxx number off the back) and what PS3 Firmware version that it had when it worked, and what the unit was updated to when it failed.

Note: Please be certain that the unit is v3.00 as it will be no help at all if after being found dead the drive was updated to v3.01 in attempt to fix it. Reply below if you can help us out- Thanks!

PS3 Devs Seeking Dead Blu-ray Drive From Firmware 3.0 Update

Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene and PlayStation 4 scene updates and fresh homebrew PS3 Downloads. Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

Comments 23 Comments - Go to Forum Thread »

• Please Register at PS4News.com or Login to make comments on Site News articles.
 
#23 - PS4 News - 281w ago
PS4 News's Avatar
Please use the new thread to continue this discussion... it now is a bit more organized on what criteria the PS3 Devs are specifically seeking:

http://www.ps4news.com/forums/playstation-3-news/ps-system-306r-suspected-cause-dead-playstation-3-3-00-drives-108387.html

#22 - boostedcrx2 - 281w ago
boostedcrx2's Avatar
I understand what you are saying, but maybe you misunderstood what I typed! The bddrive only has one lens, but there are several software demands that read differently. The higher speed is what I think was changed. The dvd rom, and playstation 2 games are slower speeds, they don't push the drive. The issue is the drive functions but when you put in a Blueraye game it will read, but when it freezes either you hard cut it off from the back, or you press the eject button and quit the game after the disc has been ejected, but whatever you do following either of those processes your drive will not read the blueraye disc thats in the drive or when you insert it back in.

You will have to power of the system and then it will read your blueraye disc untill it freezes again. But your Dvd's and playstation 2 games will always read. And all drives that have the same interlink can work in any playstation. I was not going to send you guys my playstation. I love my half messed up machine, lol. Mad at Sony, but The problem will get worked out because its something that can be tested to see the mistakes, all sony has to do is find a code that works for all models.

I hope this cleared up my last post, and I put my drive in a cech because they have the same data link as mine, his was bought in 08

#21 - RPS - 281w ago
RPS's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by boostedcrx2 View Post
What you are saying is correct, but now problem solve the issue... think and take a step back. Your bd drive reads the disc, but then freezes at points were the drive is reading at its highest output for speed. So Com, console reads the game disc, but then does not have to read anymore, because the game has the log in passwords to patch into the servers. That's why you need the disc to play.

Sony will say that your playstations HDD is failing, but if that was the case you would not be able to boot up and play games. The drive reads but fails blueray media, but the same lens reads and and plays all medias that do not need the violet or the blue rays that read blueray disc. My first test was to take the drive out and put it in another ps3 that has 2.8....wow I was able to play heavenly sword for 3 hours. but I can tell the drive is a little damaged because of the choppines during game play, but that could be due to the way the drive was reading before.

I have several problems with what you've posted here:

1/. The same lens does not read both BD and CD/DVD media. The optics and lasers used are different.

2/. You claim that you swapped your drive into another console. This is not possible. The drives are paired with the console and they can not simply be swapped as you stated.

Regardless, if you have opened your console, the drive is useless and we can't rely on it for anything.

We only want standard machines that have failed and that have not been tampered with in any way. If it has been opened it is useless to us.

RPS.

#20 - boostedcrx2 - 281w ago
boostedcrx2's Avatar
What you are saying is correct, but now problem solve the issue... think and take a step back. Your bd drive reads the disc, but then freezes at points were the drive is reading at its highest output for speed. So Com, console reads the game disc, but then does not have to read anymore, because the game has the log in passwords to patch into the servers. That's why you need the disc to play.

Sony will say that your playstations HDD is failing, but if that was the case you would not be able to boot up and play games. The drive reads but fails blueray media, but the same lens reads and and plays all medias that do not need the violet or the blue rays that read blueray disc. My first test was to take the drive out and put it in another ps3 that has 2.8... wow I was able to play heavenly sword for 3 hours. but I can tell the drive is a little damaged because of the choppines during game play, but that could be due to the way the drive was reading before.

#19 - SwordOfWar - 281w ago
SwordOfWar's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by boostedcrx2 View Post
This is were it gets tricky, because most people do not play there old games you would never know what worked fine and what did not. I can play socom confrontation all night and all day. Dragon ball z I can play online, has not froze up on me yet. After experiencing and testing all of my games.

That is because SOCOM Confrontation is a downloadable game that always runs on the HDD. Even if you buy the disc version, you still have to install and run it from the HDD. The software does a small check to see if you have the retail disc in to prevent you from installing it on all your friend's PS3s.

The disc version forces you to have the disc in the PS3 when you run it, but it does not actually run off the disc. This is why there is a mandatory install that is the same size as the online download version.

#18 - DJDAVE04 - 281w ago
DJDAVE04's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by RPS View Post
What version of the FW did you have prior to v3.01, did you uppgrade to v3.00 before that?

Where did you get this info about supposed "free replacements like in Australia"? We have seen no mention of this anywhere - please provide a link.

Contact Me with what you want for your dead unit, we'll see if we can come to some arrangement.

RPS.

here is the link to the australia article: http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Console/U9U9E6V4?page=1

I went from 2.8 to 3.00 without any problems except Uncharted froze on me twice. So when 3.01 came out I updated because it was supposed to fix it. However that made my drive unable to read all discs. I put discs in and they dont spin.

Im still hoping Sony USA realizes what they have done and theyll start replacing units.

#17 - RPS - 281w ago
RPS's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by DJDAVE04 View Post
I have a 40gb cechg01 that wont read anything after the 3.01 update. Sony keeps telling me I need to pay $150 to get it fixed, which if that's the case Id rather but a new slim. I just get a feeling after I send it in to the devs they are gonna start offering free replacements like they're stsrting in Australia and I'll be SOL.

What version of the FW did you have prior to v3.01, did you uppgrade to v3.00 before that?

Where did you get this info about supposed "free replacements like in Australia"? We have seen no mention of this anywhere - please provide a link.

Contact Me with what you want for your dead unit, we'll see if we can come to some arrangement.

RPS.

Quote Originally Posted by boostedcrx2 View Post
Hello, my name is David. I have a PS3 with the blueraye issues. Model number CECHE01, bought in 2007. My console ran perfectly. until the upgrades. I believe that 3.0 and 3.01 ran the same interferance in the consoles affected.
As above,

Contact Me with details and we will work out how many of these we can get.

We know that the update was to blame, we now only need to obtain the proof.

RPS.

Quote Originally Posted by yabo View Post
Hey all, I registered JUST to post in this thread. I have a PS3 60G model CECHE01.

Contact Me with what you want for your dead unit, we'll see if we can come to some arrangement.

RPS.

#16 - frankencois - 281w ago
frankencois's Avatar
does it count if the blu-ray drive died for a bit then started working?

hope i can help

#15 - yabo - 281w ago
yabo's Avatar
Hey all, I registered JUST to post in this thread. I have a PS3 60G model CECHE01. IIRC, this was a day1 machine. (I wait in line too often for toys)

I have to run off to work, so, I'll just post a link to the thread I posted on the PS3 forums. Long story short: I have a 60G PS3 that died when I Installed 3.0 from whatever was the version before it. This wasn't a sputter and die thing, this wasn't a read error thing, this was a "update and stop reading discs instantly" thing.

Granted, I have since installed 3.01 in hopes that would repair the issue (it didn't) and am waiting for a firmware set to work properly on the drive I have. I feel it's more driver related instead of dead drive related as it was instantaneous in it's presentation of the issue.

I'll post more later... I have to go be Tech Support now.

#14 - boostedcrx2 - 281w ago
boostedcrx2's Avatar
Hello, my name is David. I have a PS3 with the blueraye issues. Model number CECHE01, bought in 2007. My console ran perfectly. until the upgrades. I believe that 3.0 and 3.01 ran the same interferance in the consoles affected.

I have a little software knowledge from being a graphic designer and dealing with animation. Now this is only from what I have been trouble shooting, but here are my consoles symptoms. Plays dvd rom movies, my PS1 and 2 games. can play my downloaded games until I whipped the hard drive....can not play my blueray games they freeze, and when they freeze... I press the eject button, once the game has ejected I will quit the game, but after that the PS3 does not read that disc. I have to turn off the console and power it back on in order to read the disc.

This is were it gets tricky, because most people do not play there old games you would never know what worked fine and what did not. I can play socom confrontation all night and all day. Dragon ball z I can play online, has not froze up on me yet. After experiencing and testing all of my games.

It is my conclusion that there are games that run solely of the Blueray disc, but there are others that don't read as much like socom. Software if installed to run components in electronics. and that is what firmware is.... The firmware is telling the blueraye lens that reads at faster speeds to read even faster and just like most equipement there is a protect button, lol. well that protect is freeze, it locks up all readings on the disc. If this sounds funny, im sorry but its late I've been dealing with Sony all day.

They still say they have not heard of this issue before, and that's like a slap in the face. The only thing that I can explain why only certain consoles are effected is hardware. What powerplant was PS3 assembled at might have to do what parts are in your console. But we all know that sony puts the best in their products. I have done several other test which I will put up on this forum.

 

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links







Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS4 Downloads - PS4 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 4 News