October 14, 2008 // 10:25 pm
- As planned, Sony has released PlayStation 3 Firmware Update 2.50!
Highlights of what changes can be expected in the update were detailed earlier today
Download: PS3 Firmware Update 2.50 (US)
/ PS3 Firmware Update 2.50 (EU)
More to come as it's available on this, and remember the PSP Firmware Update 5.00 should also be hitting momentarily as previously announced
To recap: Building upon the foundation set by previous firmware upgrades, the 2.50 system software update will refine existing features while also adding new functionality. The update will deliver exclusive options to support the official wireless headset, as previously announced, such as an on-screen indicator that shows volume, battery charge, and mute functions, as well as a High Quality (HQ) mode, which utilises advanced wireless technologies and the Headset's dual-microphone design to enable clear and wide-band wireless voice communication with PS3 system. HQ mode greatly improves the voice chat experience in multi-player titles such as Resistance 2, which launches in November.
To further strengthen the gameplay experience on PS3, the firmware update will add an in-game screenshot capture tool, laying the groundwork for developers to add capture and sharing options to their games and allowing players to immortalise their favourite gaming moments and share them with friends. Titles that support the feature will be announced in the future.
The 2.50 update will also enhance the user interface for PS3 Trophies. When players acquire a Trophy, the in-game notification will now include the specific Trophy icon created by the developer, while more intuitive options for comparing Trophies with friends have been added, including an icon to represent each Trophy level. The Trophy system will continue to expand through future firmware updates, catering to the PS3 community and the competitive nature of the more than 12 million registered PlayStation Network users worldwide.
Other new features delivered through PS3 2.50 will include:
• Video - Video scene search functionality will provide thumbnails to help you find a particular scene in a video more easily.
• Information Board - The Information Board will be able to include direct links to PlayStation Store, making it easier for PS3 owners to download content that they read about on the Information Board.
• Power save - PS3 owners will have the option to automatically shut-off their console or controllers after pre-selected periods of inactivity.
• Flash 9 content becomes supported on the Internet Browser.