Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

ESRB Censors Violent God of War 3 PlayStation 3 Videos


Sponsored Links
293w ago - Late last night, the ESRB forced the removal of several gruesome God of War III trailers and replaced them with censored versions.

Two of the more notorious scenes shown thus far from the game, one where Kratos rips the eye out of a cyclops and one where Kratos tears the head of Helios from his body, were blocked out by a big 'censored by the ESRB' logo.

To quote: The two scenes both showed detailed flesh tearing and gore.

Though the trailers can still be found uncensored elsewhere on the 'net, this does bring up concerns as to what may happen to the content in the final game, both in these scenes and ones that haven't been shown.

In an interview from PlayStation Magazine, the God of War team was quoted saying "Some of these scenes are so violent, they are never going on the Internet", meaning we haven't even seen the worst of it yet, but the ESRB is already stepping in.

In 2007, Manhunt was barred from release because of excessive and bleak violence - could God of War III be headed down the same path?



Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks and PS3 CFW news, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and drop by the PS3 Hacks and PS3 Custom Firmware Forums for the latest PlayStation 3 scene and PlayStation 4 scene updates and fresh homebrew PS3 Downloads. Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

Comments 10 Comments - Go to Forum Thread »

• Please Register at PS4News.com or Login to make comments on Site News articles.
 
#10 - CyanCaze - 293w ago
CyanCaze's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by maxpwer222 View Post
I personally feel the whole ESRB concept is dumb. It is nothing more than a organization that allows parents to be lazy. If a person wants to make a gory game and it upsets parents then they should not allow their children to play it.

Who are the ESRB to tell someone what they can and cannot do with their time and money? I wish parents would take some initiative in their children's lives so that these organizations that stifle free-speech would not be necessary.
Although I disagree with the lazy parents part, I will say this....
If a parent is stupid enough to look at a game with the name "God of War" Or "Playboy's Mansion" and still buy it for their kid then complain about violent video games.... That parent should seriously lose their kids. And I say this out of safety for the child, because today they mistake God of War with a game where you catch butterflies and tomorrow they mistake drain-o with food.

#9 - semitope - 293w ago
semitope's Avatar
Ratings mean nothing. I am sure Gears of War would get a pretty mature rating and look how much it sold considering the majority of 360 gamers are immature kids

It would make sense they include a age chech at the start of the game or something. Would go along with what the entire organisation is about, which is to make sure those involved can sleep at night. "ok we put a useless age check here, goes just well with our usually useless content rating so all is well"

Better than taking out things from the game.

#8 - wormie123 - 293w ago
wormie123's Avatar
ESRB =

I hope this doesnt affect the end result of the game it will be a real shame. Only thing is if they do kick up a fuss about, could sony potentially edit the game to make it less gory? would suck if they do and you know that would mean GOW3 new release date of march 2011

#7 - shummyr - 293w ago
shummyr's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by maxpwer222 View Post
Didn't the Hot Coffee mod cause the ESRB to rate it A?

No matter how hackable the PS3 is, the ESRB will still be there to censor the game. Extra mods and ways that circumvent the ratings the ESRB put in place, will only cause more positive press for the organization. The ESRB would only profit from mods that make games more violent.

true, you have a point on that one.

#6 - maxpwer222 - 293w ago
maxpwer222's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by shummyr View Post
Yes it does because then we can remove the filters and do whatever the heck we want.. look at manhunt for the psp, ps2 and wii or gta and the hot coffee mod.

Didn't the Hot Coffee mod cause the ESRB to rate it A?

No matter how hackable the PS3 is, the ESRB will still be there to censor the game. Extra mods and ways that circumvent the ratings the ESRB put in place, will only cause more positive press for the organization. The ESRB would only profit from mods that make games more violent.

#5 - shummyr - 293w ago
shummyr's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by CyanCaze View Post
What does Hacking the console have to do with the ESRB?

Yes it does because then we can remove the filters and do whatever the heck we want.. look at manhunt for the psp, ps2 and wii or gta and the hot coffee mod.

#4 - saioke - 293w ago
saioke's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by maxpwer222 View Post
I personally feel the whole ESRB concept is dumb. It is nothing more than a organization that allows parents to be lazy. If a person wants to make a gory game and it upsets parents then they should not allow their children to play it.

Who are the ESRB to tell someone what they can and cannot do with their time and money? I wish parents would take some initiative in their children's lives so that these organizations that stifle free-speech would not be necessary.

Exactly, not to mention most parents don't even follow the ESRB and go buy their kids whatever they want despite the system. Then they complain about how gory the game is without taking into consideration that a M rating means 17+, Adult rating, esc.

In my own opinion, the ESRB is quite useless. I'd say an estimated number of adults who buy their kids violent video games without looking at the ESRB rating are pretty high. say, 60-70%.

#3 - maxpwer222 - 293w ago
maxpwer222's Avatar
I personally feel the whole ESRB concept is dumb. It is nothing more than a organization that allows parents to be lazy. If a person wants to make a gory game and it upsets parents then they should not allow their children to play it.

Who are the ESRB to tell someone what they can and cannot do with their time and money? I wish parents would take some initiative in their children's lives so that these organizations that stifle free-speech would not be necessary.

#2 - CyanCaze - 293w ago
CyanCaze's Avatar
Quote Originally Posted by shummyr View Post
this makes me wish the ps3 was hacked along with i think sony should allow it to happen so that their content can't be censored and the game devs can truly allow the game to shine if it is done other than officially.
What does Hacking the console have to do with the ESRB? Honestly it doesn't make any sense to me. How can hacking a console fix the ESRB's stupid "Well no one should be allowed to play that because it's too real, excuse us while we go turn on saw the movie for our kids." I honestly don't think any game should be blocked by anyone but the person who makes the console. For instance why should Someone's hard work go down the drain when the movie business can do what they want? And honestly it is harder making a game then a movie.

Point is, I don't mind games being rated. It protects kids and parents, in fact I believe they should make it Illegal to sell a M rated game to anyone younger then 17. But I will not support them blocking games from being released because they war "Too violent". I think I'm old enough to decide what is "Too Violent" for me. As for a trailer I really don't care at this point. If they try and censor the final version I believe they will have bitten off more then they can chew and wouldn't be surprised if people protest and possibly take them to court.

#1 - shummyr - 293w ago
shummyr's Avatar
this makes me wish the ps3 was hacked along with i think sony should allow it to happen so that their content can't be censored and the game devs can truly allow the game to shine if it is done other than officially.

 

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links







Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS4 Downloads - PS4 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 4 News