Following up on the previous hint, this weekend the Apache Overkill (PSP Mini) user mode exploit by TomTomdu80 for PS Vita Firmware 2.06 has been officially unveiled alongside a video demo below.
To quote: In this Video you can see a PS Vita with the Firmware 2.06, which runs the Vita Half Byte Loader via the Exploit game Apache Overkill. Thank you very much TomTomdu80 for this user mode exploit
This port of the Half Byte Loader for the PS Vita is capable of running Homebrews at the PS Vita Firmware 2.06 and older. This CAN NOT run ISO or CSO games. Plugins (PRX) wont work either! Just usermode Homebrews!
From Wololo: Disclaimer: I haven’t tested this VHBL version myself. People who tested it in EU/US version have told me this VHBL compatibility is below average, but compatibility may increase in future releases. As usual, the choice is yours.
Another long wait is over, this is the public announce for the game exploit that will let people run TomTomDu80′s port of VHBL on Vita firmware 2.06. Once again, an army of very dangerous people will start playing 16 bits games on the Vita, putting one of the biggest hardware companies of the world in great danger of bankruptcy. Watch as Sony pulls the game from their stores within 48h, when it took them months to fix an actual security vulnerability on the device
Haha, I kid, I kid, we all know Sony have to pull these games off their stores, who knows if this new game exploit won’t be the vector to an eCFW release at some point... speaking of which, before you go ahead and buy the game, let me go with a disclaimer:
Disclaimer: the vulnerability in the game disclosed below is a user mode exploit in a PSP game. TomTomDu80 has ported VHBL to this exploit on the vita firmware 2.06. VHBL does not let you play pirated PSP games, let alone pirated Vita games. VHBL lets you play a subset of PSP homebrews on your Vita, including a wide range of oldschool consoles emulators. Compatibility of VHBL varies depending on the exploit, and I want to emphasize that I have myself not tested this VHBL port at all.
Early reports I have gotten from beta testers is that the compatibility is below average compared to other VHBL releases (with a few annoying bugs such as some crashes when exiting some specific homebrews). As usual, you buy this game at your own risk and with no explicit guarantee from me that this will let you do anything else than, well, actually play that game…
So, here we go, the vulnerability found by TomTomDu80 is in: Apache Overkill (PSP Mini)
The game is, unfortunately, not available in all PSN stores If you are in a store where the game is not available, it is recommended that you open an account in a location that has the game, acquire a PSN card for that store (some online services sell those, either google them or PM me if you need help) and use it to buy the game. Please understand that the game availability in your country is not the choice of the hacker.
Also enjoy this video from The Z, showcasing TomTomDu80′s VHBL port in action:
As usual, we are not releasing the files yet, they will be released in a few days (usually we wait until the game has been pulled from the PSN) Feel free to report if the game is available in your store or not
About TomTomDu80's VHBL Homebrew Compatibility:
- Picodrive - Sega Genesis emulator
- PSPFILER - Popular file tool for the PSP
- WAGIC - As always Wagic works, which is due to the fact of it being developed to run in tight environments. Wagic is a heroic fantasy card game, in which you fight as a wizard against the computer.
- CSPSP - Nataku92′s CSPSP homebrew port of the ever-famous Counter-Strike PC title in 2D.
- Cavestory - The popular platformer/Action adventure freeware indie game. (Leaving to Vita OS and returning to game causes no sound)
- Jelly Car - Complete the levels without falling in this crazy car game. The point? You can change the size of your car at will, to avoid falling in holes.
- Ragdoll Cannon - A 2d puzzle game. Shoot the ragdoll guy from the cannon. Hit the target to go to the next level. (Sound issues)
- Vmenu - An alternate menu by developer Neur0n.
- Bookr - A great homebrew app for reading PDF/txt veiwer.
What does not work?
- DaedalusX64 (N64 Emulator) -Its a shame daedalus doesn’t work. I tried both r777, r790 and R13
- gPSP kai -(GBA Emulator) (Loads but issue with savegame, might be fixable)
- SNES9X TYL (Super Nintendo Emulator)- Black screen
- DOOM - Might be fixiable, some issues seem to occur when loading certain sound threads
- DUKE 3D
- HALO: Revamped
- Slender Portable
- YMENU & PYMENU - Ive tried everything to get these to work, but its a no go.
- Cubic Zombies
- Lamecraft- Failure to generate terrain and errors
- Quake Arcade
- Mario Fusion
- HALF LIFE
- NAZI ZOMBIES
- Left 4 Quake
More PlayStation 3 News...
is this the same like uno... or only halfbyte loader???
This one is just an userrmode exploit, this allow you to run homebrews only so it is (Vita) Half-Byte Loader.
It doesn't allow you to run PSP game backups unless someone releases a kernel exploit for FW 2.06 based on this game
Following up on the previous updates, today PlayStation Vita hacker TomTomdu80 has made available the VHBL PS Vita usermode exploit for Apache Overkill (PSP Mini) with details below.
Download: VHBL_206_Apache_Overkill.zip (2 MB) / VHBL_206_Apache_Overkill.zip (Mirror)
From Wololo's Blog: VHBL For Apache Overkill
What is it?
Vita Half-Byte Loader is a project to port the PSP homebrew loader HBL to the PlayStation Vita, through the PSP emulator on the PlayStation Vita.
This is the official VHBL download page for people who own a copy of the PSP Game Apache Overkill, and a firmware 2.06 or lower. If you don’t own this game, or have a higher firmware, go back to the VHBL page to see if we have a version of VHBL working with a game you own.
How to Install and Run HBL on Apache Overkill
- It is *strongly* recommended that you turn of all wireless connections on your PS Vita, and that you use OpenCMA on your PC instead of the regular CMA. This is recommended because otherwise your console has a way to force you to upgrade the firmware even before you get a chance to use the exploit.
- Extract the HBL archive matching your version of the game in your CMA PSP Savedata folder. It is a folder on your PC named PSSAVEDATA/[lots of random characters here]. If you don’t know where it is, check your settings in CMA
- Connect your PS Vita to the PC through the CMA, it should give you the possibility to copy the savedata from your PC to the Vita. If not, you probably extracted it in the wrong folder. (Note: You will also want to install some homebrews with a similar technique, read the section below)
- To run HBL, start the game, then go to “High Scores”. At this point, VHBL should start
OpenCMA is strongly recommended to install if you want to use VHBL. Open CMA is a tool by Virtuous Flame that allows you to copy files from and to your vita without being connected to the internet. This is useful, especially if you don’t want Sony to forcefully update your firmware.
How to Install and Run Homebrews
Installing homebrews on the PSP was an easy task. On the Vita, until better solutions are provided, it’s quite a pain in the rear. The CMA will only let you copy savedata, and will not recursively browse folders. To address this, HBL comes with a tool that can extract archives with a specific structure.
Packaging the homebrew for installation on the Vita:
1) download PSP homebrews from your favorite Web site
2) extract the homebrew somewhere on your hard drive, and with your favorite utility, zip it again with the store setting (no compression), in a file that you will name “INSTALL.ZIP” (uppercase is important). If your compression tool does not have compression options, I recommend 7zip.
3) take any PSP savedata (but not the one used for HBL!), and add the “INSTALL.ZIP” to that folder, in your PC CMA folder. so your PSP Savedata will look something like this:
in folder PSSAVEDATA/1a2b3c4def5678/UCUS12345000/ (or something like this) you will have the following files:
1) Run OpenCMA on your PC, and CMA on your Vita
2) Copy the previously packaged SAVEDATA (see above) with your homebrew in “INSTALL.ZIP” on your Vita
3) Run HBL (how to run HBL is explained in the previous section)
4) Navigate with the HBL menu to the SAVEDATA folder, then go to the folder you just downloaded (in my example, UCUS12345000), and click cross or circle on it
5) At this point, the HBL menu should ask you if you want to install the homebrew. select yes, and wait until HBL is done extracting your homebrew
6) The homebrew is now installed, and you can run it by going to the GAME folder, if everything went well, a new subfolder with your homebrew has been created here, and you can run the homebrew
Update (via wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=31767): 2.06 VHBL Fix and Compatibility Update for Apache Overkill: Proof of Concept by jeoway
Download: Jeoway VHBL Compatibility Fix.zip / Half Byte Loader r163 fix for FW 2.06 (AO) (Mirror)
- Better compatibility with homebrews
- More stable when loading NID Tables
- More memory is free when using VHBL
- Comes compiled in any menu of choice (wMenu, pyMenu, yMenu)
- Less lagging when starting VHBL and during its process.
NOTE: THE FIX WAS BASED ON WMENU AND THE NID TABLES! OTHER MENUS THAN WMENU MAY NOT HAVE FULL COMPATIBILITY!!! PLEASE TRY TO USE WMENU IF YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO RUN ALL YOUR HOMEBREW!!!!!
If you find a working version of one of the non-working games listed below, please reply to this thread with the Name, Version, and link to download and I will add it to the working list (After I have checked it works) Thanks!
Hello community! Today, I have compiled a fix and a compatibility update for Apache Overkill VHBL for Firmware 2.06. This update will fix some of the lagging issues when starting up certain homebrew (For me, it was Wagic latest update). This fix/patch for VHBL 2.06 will also include compatibility improvement! I will keep a list below of homebrew that are NOW compatible.
List of Homebrew that now are CONFIRMED working by me!
- Lamecraft (The terrain actually generates now)
- DOOM (Sound Threads work right most of the time, playable)
- SNES9xTYL 042 (Must be this version because it optimized to be played on VHBL w/ no intro) (Works fine, roms play, no problem here)
- gpsp Kai (GBA Emulator) (It works fine, great sound, no lag, nothing here) (The savegame is a problem with gPSP Kai itself, not VHBL)
- yMenu (Works like a charm! Will come pre-compiled with the new VHBL Fix!)
- pyMenu (Works amazing! Will come pre-compiled with the new VHBL Fix too!)
- Nazi Zombies Portable (Only some versions work, Wololo's version sometimes crash on map loading or gun data, but it will still be playable)
Here is a list of confirmed homebrew working from forum user Hydraulicelf
- Geometry Wars is working with no problems now!
- Dragon Ball Z works, but in a different Language.
- MARIO FUSION v2 works great! Pretty fun actually...
- Silveredge works fine.
- Mario's Road v2 works
Homebrew that DOES NOT work! (This can always change in future updates)
- DaedalusX64 (Freezes on Rom Start R13)
- CPS2PSP (Black Screen and No rom found for some versions)
- Mobile Assualt (Just won't work right)
More PlayStation 3 News...
Following up on the initial release, Sony hacker Total_Noob has released the TN-V v2 Custom Emulator Firmware (CEF) 6.60 for PS Vita handheld consoles.
Download: EBOOT.PBP (229 Kb) / EBOOT.PBP (Mirror)
To quote: Great news, an update to TN-V is here to fix a lot of issues and features!
After the recent release of TN-V users have been actively reporting their issues and bugs here which has allowed us to efficiently get these fixed. Here’s the full change log for Version 2 of TN-V.
Added option in ‘Advanced’ to delete ISO cache. This may help if you’ll get an infinite loop while opening game menu.
- Added option in ‘Advanced’ to delete ISO cache. This may help if you’ll get an infinite loop while opening game menu.
- Added possibility to launch backup file from savedata folder.
- Added ability to move backup file to ‘ms0:/ISO’.
- Added support for custom PS1 DOCUMENT.DAT.
- Fixed msfs driver bug that caused data corruption which led to resetted settings.
- Fixed msfs driver bug that caused Lamecraft not seeing savedatas.
- Fixed folder ‘.’ and ‘..’ extension patch.
- Improved Virtual PBP Manager (faster ISO loading in game menu).
- Changed ISO boot mode to ‘umdemu’ – may fix some ISOs.
- Optimized recovery menu.
To update simply go to ‘Network Update’ in the XMB or alternatively you can find a download linked above (Install it like a homebrew). Thanks again to Total_Noob for his hard work and contributions.
Finally, in related PlayStation Vita homebrew news PFile for PS Vita CEF 6.60 TN is now available with details below, as follows:
About pfile v0.1: The plugin has support for pops.txt game.txt and so you can perform the functions described in any place and at any time. And though it is just an early version GUI is very well developed and is expected in future versions add more features to this excellent tool.
It should be mentioned that also features support for the PS Vita in the famous CEF 6.60 TN, and top it off as it is fully customizable in the file: pfile_ini.txt included in the download you can change the default button to start the plugin.
Note: start_key = LTrigger +
pfile_theme.txt file and can change some settings on the GUI:
foreground_color = 0xFFFFFFFF
background_color = 0xFF000000
select_color = 0xFF00FF80
Note: You must have Seller cmlibMenu, and to not complicate everything needed is already in the download of the plugin.
Trigger L + SELECT: Open pfile (For 6.60 TN CEF).
Trigger L + Note: Open pfile.
Digital Pad Up, Down: Move between files and directories.
Digital Pad Right, Left: Scoot.
R Trigger: Open directory.
Trigger L: Up Directory.
O: Cancel / Exit the plugin.
X: Open menu options: copy, cut, delete and paste.
More PlayStation 3 News...
yes, thank to Total_Noob for your hard work and thank for the great news!
PS3 Backup Game Managers
• GameSonic PS3 Manager Updates
• Hybrid Manager PS3 Updates
• IrisMAN PS3 Manager Updates
• Iris Manager PS3 Manager Updates
• MultiMAN PS3 Manager Updates
PS3 CFW (Custom Firmware)
• DARKNET PS3 CFW Updates
• Ferrox PS3 CFW Updates
• Habib PS3 CFW Updates
• Prometheus PS3 CFW Updates
• PS3ITA PS3 CFW Updates
• Rebug PS3 CFW Updates
• Rogero PS3 CFW Updates
• Sky PS3 CFW Updates
• Starz PS3 CFW Updates
PS3 Homebrew Apps
• Movian PS3 Media Center
• PS3 CCAPI (ControlConsoleAPI)
• PS3 NOR & NAND Patcher Updates
• PS3Xport / PeXploit Updates
• No PSN / NoPSN Patch Updates
• PSNDL / PSNDL v2 Updates
• PSNPatch / PSN Patch Updates
• PSNStuff+ / PSNStuffX Updates
• PSN / SEN Enabler & Disabler Updates
• TrueAncestor PS3 Tools Updates
• WebMAN Mod Plugin Updates
• Yutolio's PSN Database Updates
PS3 MFW (Modified Firmware)
• PS3 CFW Creator / PS3MFW UI
• PS3MFW Builder / Our MFW Updates