Speculation: The Real Deal on Sony's Next PSP Console
Sony has contended there is no PSP2 and they are telling the cold hard truth. There won't be a PSP2 coming for at least a couple more years.
That doesn't mean that some new PSP hardware isn't headed our way soon enough. Think more aesthetic changes, more along the lines of DS to DSLite but more substantial of a change.
We are not at liberty to divulge our sources. Rest assured all will be revealed during E3.
Let's take a look at some "Facts" from the Internet:
- UMD is dead. Sorry folks, UMD IS dead, they got this one right...
- Touch Screen. Many say that this is a given as this seems to be the trend the industry is heading towards. Well Sony boasts it's "Like No Other" and that is the truth, Sony doesn't follow trends, it sets them. There will be NO touchscreen in the next PSP.
- "Monstrous Hardware Specs" If that were the case, it WOULD be the PSP2, and the next PSP is NOT the PSP2, it's not the PSP-4000 either. In fact it's something entirely unique.
Now let's move onto the "Fiction":
- Release before Christmas 2009. We don't know an exact release date, but it's much sooner than anyone is expecting. One thing we are sure of is that it's definitely going to be before Holiday 2009.
- Internal HDD. If UMD is dead, how exactly doe people think we are going to get our games on the new PSP? Sure Sony could pack in some form of memory stick with the new PSP, but that isn't practical. As Dave Perry has mentioned in the past, look for some type of solid state memory on board. It will also take some form of removable flash memory.
- Phone included. This one is right also, but it wasn't a hard guess. There will be no built in phone in the next PSP, however you can always use Skype.
Here is a few more things we would like to touch on:
- Sliding Screen. Rumors call this fiction, and unfortunately we cannot comment on this. We have to leave it at that.
- Dual Analog Sticks. Nope, not happening, at least not until the PSP2 which this isn't. Adding a second analog stick would alienate the current PSP lineup, which is going to get much more robust later this year. A lineup, that will play just fine on this new PSP, which is based on current PSP tech.
Last thing we would like to leave you off with is...
We all know E3 is going to be filled with HEAVY announcements, potentially COLOSSAL even if we're lucky. Don't let all the MASSIVE amounts of rumors RAIN on your parade.
PSLS Artist Rendition of new PSP (Concept Art) is below.
More PlayStation 3 News...
What was UMD's biggest problem? Asked Sony....
Well when you make it so you can't play them on another platform like a Milo with UMD ability for UMD movies, and you make the hardware a battery sucking loser. Then make the cost of making them so high by not including a holding spot in the actual system instead building a plastic one around all of them making the price for manufacturing them probably 1/3 more. It tends to FAIL. Said Cyan.
Sony then replied "Surely you couldn't know why the Nintendo beat out our portable system even though it has 2 times better hardware".
Which Cyan gladly replied "The PSP was a amazing system to start with. it had great hardware and was and still is the ONLY hardcore portable device. However the PSP went mediocre on 90% of the things it capitalized on.
1:The Battery life is short although you can buy extra ones for $40 each here in the U.S. It's still way too short when gaming on it only lasts at the most 6 hours 7 if you are lucky.
2: UMD as I already explained was great, but it failed because it was overpriced and half the items you could get could be obtained through other means.
3: The Games didn't really get good until recently with the exception of MGPO and Patapon. Although more games are on the way like Little Big Planet and Motor Storm, it is a little too late to resurrect a 5 year old hand held console.
4: Major design flaws caused many many problems. I don't know who's idea it was to include 1 analog stick and on top of that put it on the SAME SIDE AS THE D-PAD! But it was a very grave mistake and whoever came up with this idea must be as stupid as the design they made. This was actually the biggest mistake you made.
5: When making a portable device that is meant for Music and Video it is common to put a hard drive in set console with 16GB or more storage in it, Preferably 30GB with the optional 120GB.
6: Redesigning a console 2 times is enough. The PS3 is confusing enough having over 20 different models around the world not counting region locking as a different console.
7:Something that would have helped is a optional Online from anywhere service for 20-30 bucks or so a month. On top of that the ability to play flash video on a browser would have been great.
So as you can see Sony you went half hardcore on your portable and refused to make a move. I would recommend a PSP2 with a PSP price drop to $120. Also more PS1 classics would be great on the console."
To which the entire PS3NEWS Community said "What a weirdo for type a entire message like a story..."
In all seriousness I'm tired and good night everyone.
How about the inclusion of DivX?
I knew that when i submitted the story..hehe..
They probably are not going to release one for a few years so they can really make the new psp secure against piracy!
I expect they will change the whole os for the psp, due to the fact of the custom firmware out there.
I think that piracy is ruining sony psp game scene, just think no piracy maybe sony would have given people access to the RSX on the ps3 instead they have a team of people scouring the net for new holes found in the ps3 and before you know it, there is a new firmware out there.
Looks like an EggPod.
Internal HDD.. very good. Never buy a Memory Stick for savegames etc.