- Join Date
- Apr 2005
PSP-2000 Video-Out to Display Classic Titles at Full TV Screen Size
Sony have issued an Official PS3 (v2.50) / PSP (v5.00) software update press release today. It reveals that the PSP-2000’s video-out feature will be able to display PlayStation format software (classics titles) at the full-screen size of the TV that the PSP is connected to (the feature will also support interlace displays). Both system software updates will be released on October 15, 2008.
Press Release: London, October 14, 2008 - Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced details of the next PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) and PSP®(PlayStation®Portable) system software updates, adding new features to both platforms to benefit consumers.
The PS3 firmware update (v. 2.50) will include the implementation of advanced voice chat features for the PS3 official wireless headset, the ability to capture screenshots in-game with supporting titles in the future, and Trophy enhancements, among other new features. The PSP firmware update (v. 5.00) will add direct access to PlayStation®Store on PSP, enabling consumers to browse the store and download games whenever they’re at a Wi-Fi hotspot. Both system software updates will be released on 15th October.
PLAYSTATION®3 Firmware 2.50 Update
Building upon the foundation set by previous firmware upgrades, the 2.50 system software update will refine existing features while also adding new functionality. The update will deliver exclusive options to support the official wireless headset, as previously announced, such as an on-screen indicator that shows volume, battery charge, and mute functions, as well as a High Quality (HQ) mode, which utilises advanced wireless technologies and the Headset’s dual-microphone design to enable clear and wide-band wireless voice communication with PS3 system. HQ mode greatly improves the voice chat experience in multi-player titles such as Resistance 2, which launches in November.
To further strengthen the gameplay experience on PS3, the firmware update will add an in-game screenshot capture tool, laying the groundwork for developers to add capture and sharing options to their games and allowing players to immortalise their favourite gaming moments and share them with friends. Titles that support the feature will be announced in the future.
The 2.50 update will also enhance the user interface for PS3 Trophies. When players acquire a Trophy, the in-game notification will now include the specific Trophy icon created by the developer, while more intuitive options for comparing Trophies with friends have been added, including an icon to represent each Trophy level. The Trophy system will continue to expand through future firmware updates, catering to the PS3 community and the competitive nature of the more than 12 million registered PlayStation Network users worldwide.
Other new features delivered through PS3 2.50 will include:
• Video - Video scene search functionality will provide thumbnails to help you find a particular scene in a video more easily.
• Information Board - The Information Board will be able to include direct links to PlayStation Store, making it easier for PS3 owners to download content that they read about on the Information Board.
• Power save - PS3 owners will have the option to automatically shut-off their console or controllers after pre-selected periods of inactivity.
• Flash 9 content becomes supported on the Internet Browser.
PSP Firmware 5.00 Update
The PSP Firmware 5.00 update will add direct PlayStation Store access to the system, eliminating the Need for PSP to be connected to a PC or PS3 to download content. PSP owners will be able to download games, demos, trailers, and other game-related content anytime and anywhere that their PSP is connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi. This functionality delivers on the portable promise of PSP, making the device even more compelling for gaming and entertainment on-the-go.
Additional enhancements delivered through PSP 5.00 will include:
• On-screen keyboard - A full-size, on-screen keyboard will be added to make text entry during Web browsing easier and more convenient.
• Sleep timer - During music playback, a sleep timer will enable users to shut off their PSP after a specified amount of time.
• Video-out - The PSP-2000’s video-out feature will be able to display PlayStation format software (classics titles) at the full-screen size of the TV that the PSP is connected to; the feature will also support interlace displays. More PlayStation 3 News...
10-15-2008 #2O40ozConstable Guest
Im assuming a component cable will still need to be used to play actual games on the big screen. Does anyone know more specifics on this? Such as will the normal three plug cable be able to display full screen, just as the component will with games?