Hey there.

So... you use an ad blocker. That's cool. Sometimes we do too.

But without ad revenue, we wouldn't even be here. And we might not be here much longer.

Please disable your ad blocker and click to continue.

USB BD Rom for PS3?

came across this external BD Rom: http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/870039...e/Product.html

It got me thinking whether it is possible to use it on a PS3 and if it would allow blu rays from a different region.

Anybody know?

Quote Originally Posted by zoned View Post
    came across this external BD Rom: http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/870039...e/Product.html

It got me thinking whether it is possible to use it on a PS3 and if it would allow blu rays from a different region.

Anybody know?
    I didn't try to connect an external BD Rom to my PS3 but I bet it won't work at all. Technically, there are two different command sets to access flash/hard Drives and optical drives so an external BD Rom can't be accessed as a typical storage device. I doubt SCE put USB optical device driver in the PS3 firmware.

Besides PS3 is region-locked device despite of its ability to play PS3 games from other regions since PS1/PS2/DVD/BD region restrictions are still here and it would be it would be unbelievable to imagine a PS3 allowing to change BD drive region five times like PC software does.

I'm 100% sure it will not work. There is no support, because there would be no valid reason to have 2 BR drives at once, according to Sony

A very long time ago i hooked up a cd then dvd ide drives through usb enclosure... and of course nothing happened as expected.

Smile

maybe if you flash your bd usb to multistandard (if a multi firmware exist) but i dont know if the console can check region.