Hey there.

So... you use an ad blocker. That's cool. Sometimes we do too.

But without ad revenue, we wouldn't even be here. And we might not be here much longer.

Please disable your ad blocker and click to continue.

Cretin Guest

US/Canada PS3 UK Compatibility and FW

I'm hoping to order a 160gb ps3 slim, and on the website (which is american) It says US/Canada compatible only, is this true? Would it be different entirely to a UK ps3? I'm also hoping to jailbreak it, but I dont know which FW it will ship with, I expect its probably not fresh from sony, as the website isnt offering a move starter pack yet, so its probably stock thats a good few weeks old atleast.

any help would be great!

Cheers,

Cretin

Transient Guest
    Yes, there are several regions in the world (US/Canada is one) and each has their own custom PS3. Why the different PS3s? Two reasons:

1) Different electricity standards result in different power plugs, voltages, and frequency. That difference also results in a different standard for TVs (US/Canada is NTSC, UK is PAL) which is partly due to the electrical frequency (60Hz in US/Canada, 50Hz in UK).

2) Media region controls. While PS3 games are mostly region-free, it's still up to the publisher to choose whether or not to region-lock it. So a UK game could be locked so that it only plays on UK PS3s. The same goes for movies. Fortunately, blu-ray locking (games and movies) is rare. The same can't be said for DVDs where region-locking is the norm.

I hope that helps.

PS - I should have mentioned that new LCD TVs usually can handle both NTSC and PAL signal, so that really isn't a limiting factor anymore unless you have an older TV.