Hey there.

So... you use an ad blocker. That's cool. Sometimes we do too.

But without ad revenue, we wouldn't even be here. And we might not be here much longer.

Please disable your ad blocker and click to continue.

Thread: SPDIF - Help

SPDIF - Help

I don't know what happen to the newbie forum(s), so... I will post my question here and I'm confident it will be moved to the proper area.

I got a new TV and it has a SPDIF digital audio out.....now, how in the world can I connect my PS3 to this? Is there a converter I need to purchase?

I new I can use my receiver, but at the moment, I'm hooking up my PS3 directly to my TV.

Appreciate any help.

Quote Originally Posted by AssassinPS3 View Post
    I got a new TV and it has a SPDIF digital audio out...
    You kind of answered your own question, your TV has Digital OUT. This usually means you have some form of a digital tuner, so the digital audio that is taken from the tuner can be output from your tv, to a receiver for a surround sound setup.

Simply put, you do need to have the receiver to be able to do anything useful!

Ahh... now i get what assassin was talking about.

Your tv has optical output
    your ps3 has optical output

= you need a receiver w/optical input to connect these....connecting 2 outputs will get you no where...

First time i heard optical called by it's proper name i guess..

So what you are saying is that I cannot connect my PS3 to my TV because of the different digital connection.

I'll have to use my receiver..right???

Tv

PS3

Yes idone, you are 100% correct!

Pic 1 is Digital Coaxial, while Pic 2 is Optical/Toslink, both are covered under S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interconnect Format)

With a cheap converter, one can be hooked to another, but you can not plug your PS3's SPDIF Output into your TV's SPDIF Output, they need to be plugged into a device with a SPDIF input, like an AV receiver.

Fantastic!! Thank you for all your help!

I had the same problem, Thanks!