Hey there.

So... you use an ad blocker. That's cool. Sometimes we do too.

But without ad revenue, we wouldn't even be here. And we might not be here much longer.

Please disable your ad blocker and click to continue.

Some PS3 Slim questions from a newbie

Hi, I've been around the PSP and WII scene for a while, but I am a newbie in PS3 scene. I just got a PS3slim last week (due to the price obviously, but with the sacrifice of "other OS" feature ).

After researching online to see what I can play around with the PS3 (my interest are mainly hacks, homebrew, tricks, etc.), I am disappointed to see there aren't much (especially for slim).

I do have couple of questions though. I tried to find them online, but not a lot of people are talking about them. (in fact, I think more people are interested in the games themselves than playing with the PS3's "other" aspects.) Anyway, here are my questions:
    1. My PS3 slim comes with FW2.76 by default. What is the best firmware to stay on? Or we have no choice but to upgrade to the latest? Because I heard people having tons of problem with each updates. It is the same with PSP, except we are "recommended" to stay in a best firmware until the later one is "customized". Same with WII. I am just wondering whether it's the same with PS3. Is 3.01 good enough to go for?

2. About audio of PS3: Just curious, can 7.1 audio (DolbyTrueHD or DTSMasterAudio) go thru optical out? Or it can only go thru HDMI? I only have a 5.1 system, so I have no way to verify, but I see the display of info being different if I play AVCHD that have 7.1 (even thru my optical). It says "multi-channel" instead of "5.1"

3. I heard that 7.1 doesn't play in "file mode" of PS3. Only plays in "bluray/disc/avchd mode". Why is that? Is it still the case as of 3.01 fw?

4. What's the different between LPCM and bitstream? I read some info online saying something about seeing the TrueHD or DTS-HD text in their receiver, but I still don't get it. Are they the same? Is LPCM analog output? Is LPCM the inferior one? Any quality lost with LPCM?

5. About Video of PS3: Did PS3 support VC-1 format? How is it comparing to the more popular H.264 format?

6. Is 1080/24p only happening in movies (bluray, avchd, etc.)? I see the back of games show compatible resolution, but never one of them said anything about 24p.

7. This is more like a side track. When playing bluray movie, my tv(Samsung LN46A540) shows "1080 @24Hz"(it is not 1080i, because it will show), is that 24p mode? But my tv doesn't have 120Hz or 240Hz, so is that still possible to have 24p in my tv? I cannot find anywhere that says my model have/doesn't have 24p.

8. I have Sony's micro vault Tiny 8GB not being recognized by PS3. Anyone have the same experience? Why can't Sony recognize its own brand device? I am just puzzled...

Sorry for being a bit long. Thanks in advance for any comments/ideas!

I am also fairly new when it comes to PS3. had mine from March 09.

I would recommend sticking to a firmware until such time you are certain there are no major bugs/glitches left. I loaded 3.00. A lot of others who did had huge problems and sony worked on those and issued 3.01. As far as I know, there are little or no problems with the latest. Golden rule however - wait before you download and install.

Check out http://blog.eu.playstation.com/

I would have loved to help you with the rest of the answers, but I can't. I am looking forward to answers from other experienced guys