PS4 News on Facebook! PS4 News on Twitter! PS4 News on YouTube! PS4 News RSS Feed!

[Answered] Question about ps3 jtag exploit?

Hi well as you see im new here i guess ill go ahead and say my names hunter and what not but i have a ? about 3 months ago i heard people found the jtag port on the ps3 and im wondering was there ever a real exploit about that or can someone inform me about this? isn't jtag the ability to run unsigned code and bypass RSA signed encryptions?
    Best Answer - Posted by PS4 News:

You are probably referring to this article: http://www.ps4news.com/ps3-hacks-jai...ed-and-mapped/

In short, the JTag port on the PS3 Blu-ray drive board was located and mapped out (the pin-outs were actually taken directly from a print screen of the $CE docs ) but these days they are almost always blown at production. There was no "exploit" ever mentioned.

To answer though, the resident Devs did test these exact points (and others) nearly a year ago and got nowhere as they were indeed blown.

Arrow

You are probably referring to this article: http://www.ps4news.com/ps3-hacks-jai...ed-and-mapped/

In short, the JTag port on the PS3 Blu-ray drive board was located and mapped out (the pin-outs were actually taken directly from a print screen of the $CE docs ) but these days they are almost always blown at production. There was no "exploit" ever mentioned.

To answer though, the resident Devs did test these exact points (and others) nearly a year ago and got nowhere as they were indeed blown.

hmm well thanks for clearing that up.

Well i don't know what the point would be since we can't rip/mod game iso's but i was just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrr View Post
    hmm well thanks for clearing that up.

Well i don't know what the point would be since we can't rip/mod game iso's but i was just curious.
    Yeah, the "general" benefit would be if the Jtag was open - in theory the memory could be dumped, ideally decrypted - then it could be RE'd , and an exploit found.

But, its much easier said than done, that kind of stuff takes time, and there are not too many skilled Reverse Engineers sadly!

Closed Thread