Hey there.

So... you use an ad blocker. That's cool. Sometimes we do too.

But without ad revenue, we wouldn't even be here. And we might not be here much longer.

Please disable your ad blocker and click to continue.

Anthogno Guest

PS3 not spinning discs

12 December 2007.
    It was a sunny day, the birds were singing and i was happy. It is my birthday and i am unwrapping my shiny new PS3, 40 gig. I was very pleased with my beautiful present and couldn't wait to "own newbs" with Call Of Duty 4. After reading various notes about low failure rate, i was so sure that nothing could go wrong. So ive started playing. Graphics - amazing, sound - amazing, atmosphere - amazing.

15 december 2007
    I have finnished the single player campaign and was ready for some hardcore online action. This is when i update my PS3 from 1.93 to 2.03.
    I play for hours two hours when suddenly the game froze while loading a map. Not the first time that ive had those freezing issues during those 3 days. I am dying for some action so i reboot the system. Everything looks normal except that the COD4 icon is nowhere to be found. So i eject th BD and put it back in. Nothing happends. I try to play a dvd. Nothing happends. I reboot, replug all the cables, reset the console, reboot, wait for an hour, reboot and nothing. Panic, frustration. Faulure rate under 3%. Am i that unlucky? So i google up "Ps3 not spinning discs" and I see various topics.

Are all of them Microsoft fanboys trying to make PS3 look bad? Hmm
    Were they all just unlucky? hmm

Those 3%, where did it came from? When were those numbers measured?
    Anyway, its safe to say that those number should be updated.
    But most important: whats going on? Some people say that those problems relate to firmware updates 2.00 , 2.01, 2.03 and 2.10 .
    Some people say that there was a problem with the BluRay diode production.

I just hope that its a known issue for a cerain shimpent and that i dont have to send it for repair ever again.

amartinez1660 Guest
    oh my god, i really wish you good luck with that. Not heard of that problem before...

What it's happening to me is that after 6 months of use my ps3 is acting really weird, it hangs up while playing a movie if I go once to the XMB and back to the movie, it throws me out from R6Vegas to the XMB without notification and then hangs... It's acting like a PC but without the blue screen of death.

At least can play for several straight hours though...

Anyone, lend this guy a hand...

ashdam Guest
    Hi!

Have you contacted Sony Support Service?

aftermath666 Guest
    its too bad man. i have the same problem too... and there are many people i know in turkey. i think its not only %3.. in our country they give a new console after you give your ps3 to service.

Arnie Pie Guest
    A friend of mine had the same thing happen last week.. they got Sony out to pickup/swap the PS3 too.. was all pretty straightforward. But try to back up your save/game data before you get it sorted, if you can.

maya2006 Guest
    hey , this is my first post here and hope i could help..

try a hard reset, this might solve the problem.... or the best thing you can do is to update to firmware 2.10

awwdeit Guest
    This sounds like the same issue my roommate last year. After the 1.11 update the games would start up fine but would freeze in-game. He noticed that the disc stopped spinning after the freeze. Not sure if it was the Blu-ray drive or something else on the PS3 though. He contacted Sony customer support and they replaced the unit.

aftermath666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by maya2006 View Post
    hey , this is my first post here and hope i could help..

try a hard reset, this might solve the problem.... or the best thing you can do is to update to firmware 2.10
    no hard-reset doesnt use in this situation..i try a lot of hard reset and firmware update. it doesnt work. the problem is blue-ray lens