Hey there.

So... you use an ad blocker. That's cool. Sometimes we do too.

But without ad revenue, we wouldn't even be here. And we might not be here much longer.

Please disable your ad blocker and click to continue.

PS3 freezing issue HDD or Blu-ray help?

Hi there,

Having an issue with ps3 freezing and wondering if anyone can advise me as to possible cause/solution. Basically I can turn it on fine and it boots up, then I can browse PSN for a bit, download some games etc but it eventually freezes.

It also freezes when I put a disc in and try to play, can sometimes get ten mins or so of play but then it dies. I have been into safe mode and tried all options including re-formatting the HDD but still no luck. Have also de-activated then re-activated the console in account settings.

What I'm wondering is is this a hdd problem, an issue with the blu-ray or laser, or something else entirely. The fact that it freezes without a disc in when not playing makes me think it's the HDD but not sure. And if I was to buy a new HDD would that possibly fix it, or is the fact that I've already formatted my current HDD and am still having a problem a sign that a new HDD wont make any difference?!

If anyone could give me any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

I'm assuming you've formatted the drive within recovery mode? Give that a try but of course make sure you have your trophies and anything else backed up if you can get that far. You could be experiencing an overheating issue so I would try and make sure that the area around the PS3 is well ventilated. Please let us know which model PS3 you have. Thanks.

I think its HDD problem as I fixed like 5 ps3 with freezing issues. You can change the HDD with a new one and reinstall firmware from recovery mode. I think it will solve the issues.