I did that and I can't get past the logo with any updates. I did already say that. I also downloaded the updates again so I now have 2 copies of the updates and neither set works.
I think I found the problem. I just FTP'd to the PS3 and I found 2 installs that cant be seen or deleted on the PS3 so I am deleting them manually. Instead of the dir BCES00569 its _INST_2011101515123400488298 and another _INST_xxxx whatever dir.
Will try again after deleting them. That should fix the problems hopefully. The PS3 doesn't say that is used space so I probably have a full HDD and didn't know it causing the errors.
I deleted the 2 faulty directories and still the same problem. I only install update 1.05 and it still blackscreens after the polyphony logo.
I'm sure I found the problem and fixed it. I edited the Param.sfo so it wont look for updates and for some reason the updates didn't like it.
What I found is the game runs the eboot.bin from the highest version location, either from disc or installed data and as the disc was saying the version number was higher that's the eboot.bin it chose to run and blackscreened as the eboot.bin from the update is needed to run the updated data.
That's just what I found out and thats to help others like me to edit param.sfo files. That's also how I got v2.00 update to run. It was actually running the disc version eboot not the update version. I never knew that and I don't think a lot of people do either.
Thanks anyway Frago for trying to help.