Hey there.

So... you use an ad blocker. That's cool. Sometimes we do too.

But without ad revenue, we wouldn't even be here. And we might not be here much longer.

Please disable your ad blocker and click to continue.

Page 3 of 3 First ... 23
    barrybarryk Guest
    well I wouldn't know what drive would be the best for it but you're best bet would be to try find a manufacturer with an office somewhere you could actually visit if it was needed. I'd start with whoever I could find closest to me and contact them first via email and work my way out.

Tech companies generally respond well to requests like this as there's quite a bit of free publicity involved for them as well as appearing to help students research or you could go completely homemade with a variation of the technique here: teravolt.org/Laser_Microscope.htm

daveshooter Guest
    I understand why you decided to use the ps3 BDVD then, if you was trying for top marks because you would deserve it, if you cracked the drive and fabricated a biometric unit out of it. I remember some question in a computer online train coarse, about retina scanners, and finger print scanning using biometrics, and I never really needed to know how they worked or what lasers they us, until now. So if I'm right, is this something your trying to make?

wcoomd.org/files/2.%20Event%20files/PDFs/Biometrics/29-Cowburn.pdf

I was thinking, even if you find the right housing and laser with a card you can download data from, you will still need a fuzzy-logic controller, connected separately to the control of the laser, because I believe you maybe able to read from the card, but not
    send commands to it to control the laser movements, I dunno?

And you said something about a bigger connector, what about a old SCSI printer cable? Its screened and has a 50 way centronic at one end, maybe just what you looking for.

Shaha Guest
    Sorry I should of explained the purpose

My intention is to measure the 2D surface profile of a polished metal surface. I hope to profile the micro peaks and valleys of the surface.

I would imagine the motor should be easy enough to hack onto to control the movement.

Page 3 of 3 First ... 23