How to Access Playstation Recovery Menu
1. Turn off PlaystationŽ3.
2. Turn on PS3 but keep Holding The power button down for ages; The system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger and wait until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
5. You will be promted to plug in your controller via usb and then hit the PS button
6. The Recovery menu will pop up.
7. Select whatever options you want from
- Restart System:
- Restarts the PLAYSTATIONŽ3 System.
- Restore Default Settings:
- Reset all system settings back to default.
- Restore File System:
- Checks for corrupt/missing system files.
- Rebuild Database:
- Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATIONŽ3.
- Restore PS3 System:
- Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.
- System Update:
- Update the PLAYSTATIONŽ3 System
Its also possible your PS3 is on the verge of YLOD as it can cause GPU related problems, If all else fails and you cant get it working try look in your local area for someone who reflows boards to fix YLOD, I got it done once on my launch 60GB and it worked ok after, until it bricked on fimware update 3.21 but thats another sad story!
Final thought, maybe you know someone who does not own a HDTV who would swap PS3s with you!
I doubt soldering a new HDMI conector will help unless you think it has been damaged in anyway, also wouldnt be an easy task! As you were playing MW2 when it died so I would say it could be a heat issue with PS3 hardware.
I think MW2 is a bit of a system killer because it needs so much GPU and CPU power to run due to inefficiant coding etc that PS3 system is pushed to the max,just see how long it can take ingame xmb to come up while playing. I have a friend who only played MW2 since it came out and he is on his second PS3 in 16months,he burned out laser on first one in 11months and replacement is already crashing and acting up on MW2, MW2 was only game he played 90% of time!
That reminds me I must have a go of MW2 now, Anyone still on PSN want to add me for a game or 2? just say you got my tag from ps4news.com and I will accept your friend request. as long as youre not a dirty booster!
PSN I.D: DeViL303
NOTE: As your Ps3 is acting strange I would advise you to do a system backup and maybe deactivate it from your psn account* ,wait and see if it gets fixed or replaced before reactivating.
*Only really nessassary if you have purchased content from PSN store, ie. if your system breaks down completely there is no way of deactivating it and then 1 of your 5 system activations is lost.meaning you are down to 4 PS3s for your purchased Game and Video content.
One more thing you could try is reinstalling the firmware your console is on, Probably 3.41 or 3.50 at this time ! Just put the firmware file you need on a USB stick and reinstall , Can be done from recovery menu if it wont let you reinstall same firmware from XMB but I think it will for newer updates.