Hey there.

So... you use an ad blocker. That's cool. Sometimes we do too.

But without ad revenue, we wouldn't even be here. And we might not be here much longer.

Please disable your ad blocker and click to continue.

Fat 40gb ps3 disc read problem help?

i just got a used fat ps3 cechg 40gig. when i first got it it seemed to be working 100% correctly. after updating and buying and playing black-ops it started freezing on load screens after maybe a half hour of play time. i am guessing that the laser is bad but is there anything else i can do before i change that i have tried rebuilding the database and a few other things but is there any other suggestions?

just stick in a bluray movie, see if it plays through, unlikely the laser, does the system lock up completely? or can you exit to the xmb? possible early signs of a ylod

when it does freeze it will sometimes go to the xmb but it will take a long time. i will try the movie later tonight and report tomorrow

Also a possible sign of corrupted or bad hard drive. If you see that your PS3 HDD LED light is light steady when you quit a game or during a game hang.

It happens for me twice before my PS3's HDD failed, it sometimes stuck in certain part of a game, then I noticed that HDD LED on PS3 is steady and it really took some time to make XMB accessible. But it generally hangs for about 30 sec - 1 min before it responds.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Try to boot into "Recovery menu" and "Rebuild Databases"