Sponsored Links

PS4 News on Facebook! PS4 News on Twitter! PS4 News on YouTube! PS4 News RSS Feed!
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Exclamation [Answered] External 1TB HDD showing as less?

Sponsored Links
    I've read a couple of complaints of users having their external 1TB HDD showing up as less than 600 or 500GB.

Before taking the plunge I would like to know if I'm going to lose almost half of my capacity when I format a TB HDD to FAT32.

Anyone has insight on this topic?
    Best Answer - Posted by OGroteKoning:

You can safely purchase that 1TB. I have a 1.5TB working just fine now for 8 months. I think their problem was when they formatted the hdd. My first attempt to format the 1.5TB resulted in the same problem. That was resolved using a good format utility - Can't remember though if it was Swissknife or Partition Logic. But there is nothing to be worried about!

Sponsored Links
    i am using a 1tb drive and it shows just shy of the 1 tb mark which is common it is a Wd drive. I don't have it hooked directly to the ps3 I could never figure out how to have the ps3 see the drive so I leave it on the network and just ftp the games back and forth.

I think the issue is simply having to have formatted it to FAT32, it's not as well structured as NTFS. That said, it certainly shouldn't lose 400+Gb.

try this (tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/index.html) as previously said, it not an efficient utilization if you use FAT32 on a large drive. it is due to the file clusters size.
    Last edited by cSharpShooter; 09-29-2010 at 11:06 PM

I have a free agent 1 tb drive that shows up as just shy of 1tb. I saw a 1.5 TB Free Agent on sale for $89 at Office Depot, gonna pick one up and let you know what it shows.

I have a WD External 1 TB formatted in FAT32, shows 946 GB in the PS3.

Just perfect, formatted with HPManagementTool.exe

You can safely purchase that 1TB. I have a 1.5TB working just fine now for 8 months. I think their problem was when they formatted the hdd. My first attempt to format the 1.5TB resulted in the same problem. That was resolved using a good format utility - Can't remember though if it was Swissknife or Partition Logic. But there is nothing to be worried about!

Swissknife is the way to go - I'm using multiply external large drives with my PS3s and apart of a few USB sticks not being recognized properly by PS3 regards it's size / avilable space I had no problems using those once partitioned and formated properly.

I used swissknife to format my drive and that came up close to 1tb.

Sponsored Links
Please Register at PS4News.com, Login or Activate Your Account to make comments on the PS4 News Forums. Thanks!

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS4 Downloads - PS4 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 4 News