01-01-2012 #31Banned User
- Join Date
- Jul 2008
Yes/No if you don't backup some files
NOTE BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT THIS OR ANY MOD TO PS3 FILE STRUCTURE PLEASE BACK-UP YOR dev_flash 2 FOLDER AND THE WHOLE OF dev_hdd0/home AS THIS IS WHERE YOUR PSN / DLC/ PSONE LICENCES ARE KEPT. ALSO MAKE AN EXTRA BACK-UP OF dev_hdd0/home/act.dat
Remarrying PS3 Blu-ray Drives on 3.55 FW Without Downgrading
Following up on the previous article, today some anonymous PlayStation 3 developers have shared details on remarrying PS3 Blu-ray drives on Firmware 3.55 without the need for downgrading the console any longer.
Download: Remarry PS3 Blu-ray Drive on 3.55 FW / Remarry PS3 Blu-ray Drive on 3.55 FW (Mirror)
From the included ReadMe file via the PS3 Developer Wiki (ps3devwiki.com/files/lv2diag/remarry/remarry-3.55/), to quote:
PS3 Remarry Guide for 3.55 Firmware
1. Have the console on a working 3.55 firmware
2. Download the Remarry files (remarry-3.55.rar) and unpack to root of USM Mass Storage device. The following line is already changed from 1 to 0:
[Register or Login to view code]
This will make sure the drive init PUP is not installed, thus preventing RLOD because of syscon hashes on downgraded consoles.
3. Download official firmware <=3.30 as drive init PUP and put it root of USB Mass Storage device
Content of USB Mass Storage device should be thus be:
MD5: / SHA1: / CRC32: / CRC16:
- Lv2diag.self C48E5EBFC00ABD89094CB73A2B0BEA59 / D229AC694910272DDEA9276B9FD4A2664800638C / C2D0A2B0 / 5327
- manufacturing_updater_for_reset.self 9E3C9024E9243478D21C78E1C9DF2376 / 922EA202CA2EA36EBF2B5054605E17409B9A56E6 / 93F18A95 / EA0D
- fdm_spu_module.self 33E8D3C12349CFD203930FD0C237054D / F660FD6EBEB12DC7F52B4E707A1F0D1BD05DF9F3 / 85701A9B / B75B
4. Put the service mode JIG/dongle/PSGrade into port 0 (closest to the reader) and get into factory service mode.
5. Put the created USB Mass Storage device from step 3 into port 0 (closest to the reader) and run.
- Drive Init Executing means it is starting the remarry process
- Drive Init Failed with big pink letters 'NG' (No Good!) means the process failed. Most likely solved by fixing the communication issue with the drive.
6. After you run the initial remarry process, do not take it out of factory service mode.
7. Put a BD movie disc in and run it on the PS3. (This restores your DRL files!)
8. Then you can take it out of factory service mode.
9. Launch as normal.
More PlayStation 3 News...
Is there any risk of bricking the console? because i have 2 ps3 slim that need a new BR units.
Been waiting for something like this, rather than going through every BluRay in my collection to guess which did it.
i don't watch blu rays anyway but this is a great step forward it seems.. excellent work!!
Update: Got an NG error, not sure why that might be - my BluRay works perfectly normally.
I'm actually surprised this wasn't released long ago, this was a serious problem... and a serious jerk move by Sony to begin with.
in step 4, it just matter that you need your PS3 to enter in FSM right? So I can just use the homebrew here that puts PS3 into service mode without any dongles.
It shows a lot of promise and may be useful for broken BD disc drives but I wont risk screwing anything up until people figure out how to restore the DRL files while re pairing the drive on every fat console.
Before anyone suggests to me to try the DRL gen and the old method of restoring them I will say that I have tried several times and I can't get my BD playback to work so I wont bother to go through the tedious process of getting the MKB files from every blu-ray I own just to "try" to get it to work again.
Still I really like to see progress in fixing broken consoles drives so they can play their favorite games again. I am never paying $150 dollars again for $0NY to screw me over when the laser dies out. That much is great news! A big Thank you goes out to all who created these modified .self files and also to those who made the tutorials and those who continued to improve upon the first release. =)
In slims you can change the whole disk drive without the need of this? Because I've seen some ebayers selling drives for slims. I am not sure if I should buy just a lens or a drive for a damaged slim I got last week.