Hey there.

So... you use an ad blocker. That's cool. Sometimes we do too.

But without ad revenue, we wouldn't even be here. And we might not be here much longer.

Please disable your ad blocker and click to continue.

Lightbulb Theory - Linux on the slim

Ok, so I picked up my shiny new slim today at best buy, fired it up, and as expected, no "OTHER OS" option, so lets see what we can do, I know it isnt in the hardware, just the software, any chance we might be able to get something going from a firmware or XMB exploit?

Question

Slightly off-topic, but we have another thread on it and nobody has provided a clear answer so... if you have a PS3 Slim in your possession, can you check which version Firmware it ships with?

Thanks!

it has version 2.70 firmware.

Thanks for the confirmation and +Rep to you!

if it's basically the same hardware, i wonder why they bothered removing it.. maybe keeping it up to date with all the kernel/hypervisor changes was too much of a pain? idk

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by jamesb2147 View Post
    i wonder why they bothered removing it.. maybe keeping it up to date with all the kernel/hypervisor changes was too much of a pain?
    Yup, Sony explains why here... basically to save maintenance costs and pass them along to the consumer.

http://www.ps4news.com/playstation-3...linux-options/

ok to lower the cost.. but what kind of maintenance could the hypervisor or any other security system have??

Probably what she mentioned in the article:
    SCE would need to continue to maintain the OtherOS hypervisor drivers for any significant hardware changes - this costs SCE.