Page 1 of 8 12 ... Last

Sony Begins Investigating GeoHot PS3 Hack Allegations

Just before the weekend iPhone 2G hacker GeoHot announced that he has hacked the PS3 entertainment system, and today IncGamers.com (linked above) has confirmed from their Rep that Sony is launching an investigation into it.

This comes as no surprise, considering a public PlayStation 3 hack would cost Sony Corporation and developers millions in lost revenue due to piracy as a result of reverse-engineering their intellectual property.

GeoHot has also told the BBC that, "I can now do whatever I want with the system. It's like I've got an awesome new power - I'm just not sure how to wield it."

To quote: "We contacted Sony and a spokesperson confirmed that the company is looking into the issue.

"We are investigating the report and will clarify the situation once we have more information," said the statement."

Time will tell if Sony gets tough or goes in the direction as Apple did, simply sending out DMCA notices and not attempting to hold George Hotz personally accountable for his actions.

Unfortunately, unless Sony makes an example of Hotz it may encourage other hackers to continue defeating their proprietary protection schemes without ill consequence.

Our advice to GeoHot: Let common sense be your guide, and isolate yourself from end-user PS3 hacks or exploits that could be proven by a court as used to circumvent protection or aid in software piracy... it simply isn't worth the risk.

Good luck GeoHot!

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sony Begins Investigating GeoHot PS3 Hack Allegations

Sony is investigating the hack (via http://www.incgamers.com/News/20648/...ck-allegations)
    sony has revealed it is investigating allegations that the PS3 has been hacked.

Earlier today, we reported how George Hotz, the iPhone 2G hacker, claims to have gained access to the PS3’s system memory and processor which, if true, may have profound piracy implications for Sony.

We contacted Sony on the issue and a spokesperson confirmed that the company is looking in to the issue.

"We are investigating the report and will clarify the situation once we have more information," said the statement.
    Hope it will not effect geohot his work..

Yeah... Investigate my... There is nothing new out about it. What he posted was already documented and AFAIK he did not share anything new yet.

So, I think Geo is pure clean at the moment If they piss him off, I am sure they will have a lot of time to investigate

Wow Kind of bad bews :-(

"Sony has revealed it is investigating allegations that the PS3 has been hacked.Earlier today, we reported how George Hotz, the iPhone 2G hacker, claims to have gained access to the PS3's system memory and processor which, if true, may have profound piracy implications for Sony. We contacted Sony on the issue and a spokesperson confirmed that the company is looking in to the issue. "We are investigating the report and will clarify the situation once we have more information," said the statement.

Soure from incgamers.com /News/20648/sony-investigating-ps3-hack-allegations

Well, Sony doesn't know what GeoHot exactly did, they just know that he stated "I have access to the HV and memory".

It seems like a FW downgrader will be a high priorty goal if Sony gets on with patching things up.

Arrow

I merged the other threads in this post so that we can keep the other reserved for his PS3 hack progress updates and use this one to discuss the legal issues surrounding it.

So far it looks good for the PS3 scene though, as GeoHot doesn't seem worried at all:
    George Hotz said...
    Haha "A Sony Spokeperson" is probably his neighbor who worked for Sony once in the mid 1990s. If Sony wanted to make a statement, they'd make a statement.

Haha ^^ GeoHot all cool, huh?

I read a LOT of angry comments about him on other sites. People hear the words "Hacked PS3" and assume that hacking magically creates applications/ISO Loaders out of nowhere.

The thing that boggles my mind the most is, he doesn't seem to care even though there are countless ways he could easily protect himself from any legal implications at his disposal... so why put himself at risk unnecessarily?

He almost reminds me of the guys from TPB that thought they were doing no wrong going into court with smiles and then found out not everyone thinks as they do.

Most of the world (or at least the scene) already is aware of GeoHot's efforts... if I was him, I'd go underground and release the hack anonymously under some ficticious release group name at some undertermined point in the future so that it would be harder to trace back to him as the source.

On the other hand, he seems confident in what he's doing and didn't let Apple bully him, so maybe we are overreacting after all... it just would suck if there was no PS3 Hack due to Sony stopping him before he even has a chance to share it.

Lets face it, we knew this was going to happen and the best thing GeoHot did is not talk about his hack since it would have allowed them to further complicate things for him. Lets hope for the best. I seriously want to be able to use my ps3's full power. Its about time too. btw, why is the ps3news section slow ever since the hack was announced.

Quote Originally Posted by ultrachez View Post
    btw, why is the ps3news section slow ever since the hack was announced.
    If you mean news in general, it's because weekends are slow plus we want to focus on what could be the biggest news to date (the PS3 being hacked).

Once the PS3 is unlocked, we will be slowing down "mainstream" news and concentrating mainly on PS3 hacks/homebrew news here... meaning less updates daily, but a more specific niche.

However, it's now Monday so we will be resuming regular news shortly.

Page 1 of 8 12 ... Last