PS3Roar Dragon 32 / 64 PC XRoar Emulator PS3 Port Announced
Today PlayStation 3 developer CrashSerious has announced news of an incoming PS3 homebrew port of the Dragon 32 / 64 PC XRoar emulator now dubbed PS3Roar.
Download: PS3Roar Dragon 32 / 64 PC XRoar Emulator PS3 Port WIP / PS3Roar BiOS Files / GIT
To quote: PS3roar is a port of xroar for X windows, as well as; the Nintendo DS, GPX32, PSP and AMIGA OS4. PS3roar is a Dragon 32 and 64 Computer emulator that runs on a wide variety of platforms, now including the PS3. Due to hardware similarities, PS3roar also emulates the Tandy Colour Computer (CoCo) models 1 & 2.
The PS3 port and modifications completed by CrashSerious (me). The PS3 port uses PSL1GHTv2, a free and Open Source SDK for the PS3.
PS3roar is a Dragon/Tandy Coco emulator, is a port of xRoar by Ciaran Anscomb. xRoar is Copyright (C) 2003-2010 Ciaran Anscomb (xroar -aT- 6809.org.uk)
From the ReadMe file:
- Dragon 32 (PAL).
- Dragon 64 (PAL).
- Tano Dragon (NTSC).
- Tandy Colour Computer (1 and 2) (PAL).
- Tandy Color Computer (1 and 2) (NTSC).
- 6809 emulation
- Video display (at original pixel size) on a 480p display w/ background
- Keyboard emulation with PSL1GHT_SDL that has a keyboard Driver (https://github.com/CrashSerious/SDL_PSL1GHT)
- Cart loading from /dev_hdd0/game/PS3Roar00/USRDIR/ROMS/ (CTRL-I)
- Cassette loading from /dev_hdd0/game/PS3Roar00/USRDIR/CASSETTES/ (CTRL-L)
- Cassette Saves from /dev_hdd0/game/PS3Roar00/USRDIR/CASSETTES/ (CTRL-W)
- New Cassette creation (currently only one filename is used, a input mechanism is needed)
- Disk loading from /dev_hdd0/game/PS3Roar00/USRDIR/DISKS/ (CTRL 1-4)
- Disk Saving from /dev_hdd0/game/PS3Roar00/USRDIR/DISKS/ (No Key, automatically writable)
- New DISK (.dsk) creation (currently only one filename is used, a input mechanism is needed)
- Snapshot loading from /dev_hdd0/game/PS3Roar00/USRDIR/SNAPSHOTS/ (CTRL+S)
- Snapshot saving to /dev_hdd0/game/PS3Roar00/USRDIR/SNAPSHOTS/
- Emulation Soft Reset (CTRL-R)
- Emulation Hard Reset (SHIFT-CTRL-R)
- Exit (CTRL-C)
- Trace mode (with DEX or Ethboot payload)
- Fixed emulator in all resolutions supported by the PS3. 480p, 720p, 1080p, etc
- Switching to and from full screen mode enabled, set full screen to default.
- Sound (Sound is there, but not 100% correct)
Keyboard commands: PS3roar's user interface is based around SDL. The emulator video output window is shown, and all operations are performed with keyboard combinations, usually accessed as Control+KEY. The following are the keyboard combinations for the functions listed:
- Control+I Insert a ROM cartridge.
- Control+Shift+I Insert a ROM cartridge, no autorun.
- Control+L Load a cassette file.
- Control+Shift+L Load a cassette file and attempt to autorun it where appropriate.
- Control+W Attach a virtual cassette file for writing.
- Control+[1-4] Insert a virtual disk into drive 1-4.
- Control+Shift+[1-4] Insert a blank virtual disk (40TSS) into drive 1-4.
- Control+[5-8] Toggle write enable on disk in drive 1-4.
- Control+Shift+[5-8] Toggle write back on disk in drive 1-4.
- Control+S Save a snapshot.
- Control+Shift+S Load a snapshot.
System Control Keys:
- Control+R Soft reset emulated machine.
- Control+Shift+R Hard reset emulated machine.
- Control+C Quit emulator (Power Off).
Emulation Configuration Keys:
- Control+K Toggle between Dragon and CoCo keyboard layout. See Keyboard.
- Control+A Cycle through cross-colour video modes (hi-res only).
- Control+M Cycle through emulated machine types (resets machine).
- Control+E Toggle DOS emulation on/off - reset to take effect.
- Control+J Cycle through joystick emulation modes (None, Left, Right).
- Control+Shift+J Swap joystick mapping (left/right).
- Control+Z Enable keyboard translation mode.
- Control+F Switch from and back to Full screen mode.
- F12 While held, the emulator will run at the maximum possible speed.
- Control+U Create and copy from folders on USB for ROMS, CAS, DSK, BIOS, etc.
ROMS information: The emulator is distributed with some software for the Color Computer II, it is distributed with: Dungeons of Daggorath, per the license below: http://iloveglory.freehostia.com/daggorath/license.html
To find other ROMS, and to find BIOS files; search google for the phrase, they are REQUIRED to get the emulator working: "color computer" roms
PS3Roar creates a folder structure on a USB drive that does not already contain a "PS3Roar" directory, the structure is:
These folders correspond to the folders in the installed PS3roar directory on the HDD. Placing fikles on the USB Stick, then anagin inserting into the PS3 and pressing CONTROL+U once more will copy the files to the PS3. Once copied, the USB stick can be removed. Note: files are NEVER loaded from USB, they must be on the internal HDD in the proper location. The CONTROL+U functionality makes this easy and removes the need to FTP files to the PS3.
- You will need to unzip the rom files. They need to be .rom files, the emulator doesn't deal with .zips
- You will need to get your own roms and (for now) place them in /dev_hdd0/game/PS3Roar00/USRDIR/ROMS/ to get the emulator "operational"
- Heavy reorganization was done to the original source code to accomodate easy PS3 compilation and creation of a PS3 the original source code is in a .tar.gz in the original source code of this repository.
- The original readme has been left intact, and is named README.xroar
- Docs for the original can be found at http://www.6809.org.uk/dragon/xroar-manual.shtml
- (Xroar functions that are not to be implemented)
- Toggle full screen mode.
- Control+T - Open the tape control window (certain user interfaces only). See Tape control.
- Control+Shift+P - Flush printer output. See Printing.
More PlayStation 3 News...
As for me i don't see games from C64 on 42 or 50 inch telly with out any proper upscaler, on psp they looking like crap imagine on big screen , but at least someone is doing something good job.
yeah interesting... but it seems complicated to use it.
whatever happened to the dreamcast emulator for ps3 is it still in development ? does anyone know ? I love all these emulators keep up the great work guys.
I have now updated the first post with the initial PS3Roar Dragon 32 / 64 PC XRoar Emulator PS3 Port WIP and GIT for those interested.
Also the required BiOS files are available linked below:
To quote from CrashSerious: jailbreakscene.com/main/2011/08/ps3roar-released-by-crashserious/
When you install this, you will get a orange and black checker board pattern on the screen. This is because teh BIOS for the system you want to emulate isn’t in the pkg.
You can insert a USB Pen drive into the PS3 and press Control+U and the needed folder structure will be created for you on the Pen drive.
Place the BIOS files in the /PS3Roar/BIOS folder and you will then insert it back into the PS3 and press Control+U again to copy the files to the PS3.
Exit the emulator and reload it and you should be in business. Because of the original license I could not distribute the BIOS roms with the pkg. (Sorry) No doubt some person will create easy to use zip/rar’s to extract to the root of the pen drive to help make this much easier for you.