- Join Date
- Apr 2005
PS3Key Teaser PKG Installer and PS3Key Tape Fix Guide Arrives
Update: The PS3Key v2 update is now available, which offers the recent PSGroove features including:
New features in v2:
1. Now supports peek/poke commands.
2. Backups on USB HDD can now run without an original game in the BluRay drive.
3. Works with Backup Manager 2.
Today French site Wiilogic.com (linked above) have shared some screens of the PS3Key Teaser PKG Installer loader, and Eurasia.nu have posted a PS3Key Tape Fix guide for those unfortunate enough to get a first-run production PS3Key PlayStation 3 modchip which contains a design flaw.
To quote, roughly translated: "Following our page on PS3Key, Team PS3Key contacted us and denies making a clone PSJailbreak.
She presents her own at the loader manager PS3Key which only works with the PS3 master key and provides the perfect situation at future upgrades of the chip PS3Key the reactions of Sony."
That said, it appears the PS3Key Teaser will only work with official PS3Key modchips and not other clones... at least for the time being.
Below is the PS3Key Tape Fix Guide by modrobert for those who need it. The crystal (clock) used on PS3Key has really sharp pins which can short out against the metal case covering the small board (PCB) by cutting through the masking tape. When the clock pins are shorted out the led on PS3Key will not light up at all and the jailbreak will fail.
- Remove the rubber back of the PS3Key as shown below, it should come off easy.
- Bend out the tiny clamps holding the board (PCB) using a small screwdriver or a pair of pliers with really thin tips as seen below. The board should slide out easily once these two are bent out. Be careful not bending the clamps "back and forth" too much as they could break off.
- The bottom side of the PCB can be seen here with the masking tape removed. The two clock (crystal) pins are visible. Use quality electrical tape to cover these solder joints, perhaps two layers of tape just to make sure the pins will not pierce through after wear and tear.
- Here you can see the board after I applied the electrical tape which should be enough to prevent the pins from shorting out against the metal case.
- After this just slide the board back in, carefully bend the clamps back around the PCB and push the rubber back on.
More PlayStation 3 News...
09-23-2010 #2Kiriller Guest
so what exactly is the teaser.pkg?
09-23-2010 #3greenito Guest
i should buy 1-2 new ps3 to try all new hacks.. since ppl doing GREAT job with ps3 hacks.
- Join Date
- Apr 2005
09-23-2010 #5Kiriller Guest
^ Cool, thanks for the reply. Just bought a ylod ps3, going to fix it up tomorrow and get this show on the road just need to figure and get the jb working with iphone port
09-23-2010 #6tjay17 Guest
I wonder if that program is better than the other one or just a different pic with basically the same program.
09-23-2010 #7mat989 Guest
so what's so special about their backup manager?!! NTFS?
09-23-2010 #8datalogger Guest
Looking at their web site and I see no mention of NTFS support.
One thing though, the tape fix reminds me of the fix for the latest IPhone from CNN.... maybe the same designers?
09-23-2010 #9Field Guest
I'm not really an expert at hex editing, I just like to look for patterns. So extracted the teaser.pkg and had a look inside. Folder name Content ID is NPXS00004.
Also had a look at Manager2.pkg as I just got that too. I saw a lot of similarities, but this might be the way that the SDK builds the pkg. One thing that struck me as odd is a pattern of FF FF FF FF 00 00 FF FF etc with the manager2.pkg whereas the same area of the teaser is all 00.
But things like Copyright 1992 - 2003 by PJ Plauger Dinkumware, Ltd is in both - but this might be a SDK thing.
Noticed z:/media/46D1FA2162F50E8D/cell/host-win32/ppu/bin and target folders with the teaser. I'm guessing it's a video clip - just judging by the FRAME END and other video type mentions.
It also end rather weird too with Unsafe.ftruncate64. when I thought most had 00 00 00 etc
Just an observation, not sure if means much, or if it's much use, can't see any mention of backup loader or installing games onto the hard drive, and like it states - it's a teaser, so probably just that.
09-23-2010 #10Roamin Guest
It is what it is, just a stupid teaser. It's a picture that says "The key has been turned" and their logo and is says "coming soon".
It's nothing at all.