This weekend PlayStation 3 developer Robo Hobo has released an unofficial PS3 MAME arcade game emulator GameOS port preview of version 0.142.
Download: PS3 MAME v0.142 (Preview) / SVN
- Install the psmame package onto your jailbroken PS3 using normal means.
- By default all data paths for mame are located under /dev_hdd0/ROMS/mame_data.
- ROMS themselves can be placed anywhere and their location chosen with the frontend. The recommended path is /dev_hdd0/ROMS/mame.
- As of right now the only defined controls are R3 to open the MAME config menu, Select for coin, and Start for starting the game.
- Further control changes can be made in the MAME config menu as needed.
- Up to four controllers can be used at one time.
Frontend: The frontend can display screenshots of games, these should be placed in /dev_hdd0/ROMS/mame_data/snaps. You can find a full set at http://www.progettosnaps.net/snaps_en.html
hash: path to hash files
samples: path to samplesets
artwork: path to artwork files
ctrlr: path to controller definitions
ini: path to ini files
font: path to font files
cheat: path to cheat files
crosshair: path to crosshair files
snaps: path to screenshots for frontend
cfg: directory to save configurations
nvram: directory to save nvram contents,
memcard: directory to save memory card contents
inp: directory to save input device logs
sta: directory to save states
snap: directory to save screenshots
diff: directory to save hard drive image difference files
comments: directory to save debugger comments
- When adding ROMs into your ROM dir, you must tell the frontend to rescan them. This can be done in the R3 menu.
- The display currently only supports scaling by pixel aspect ratio. Future versions will support various aspect correction modes.
- Changing video settings in the menu may crash MAME, they don't work anyway so don't bother.
- Games which require a recompiler will not run.
- Games which have high memory requirements will not run, the PS3 only has a little of 220MB of RAM available.
- The default controls will need to be tweaked by the user.
More PlayStation 3 News...