Hello again kids
Not too soon after having a good bit of creative discussion with our new team add "subdub" and regular "naturesbane", I decided to look into the firmware dumps that had been floating around in The Matrix
Thanks to inspiration by subdub and naturesbane, I decided to do some "de-mangling" of the data. So, the rest is pretty much applying the newly found SCE file format template to the file and extracting the byte stream into a new file.
Here is what comes out as a result of this analysis (the hex in the file name is the address at which the SCE\0 magic is found):
[Register or Login to view code]
Now, I have to say though: to get the modules out, I had to choose an arbitrary file alignment value, which happened to be 16. Every file looks to be around 5KB. Coincidence: who knows? Bogus data: maybe? But maybe they are _just_ about the right size to get executed in the Local Store of the SPUs (remember, 256KB only) . . .
The source code for the "$CE Extract" program is coming soon. subdub and I started coding around the same time, and his is probably a simpler implementation. But I will post the code as soon as I clean it up a bit. It still has some left over bits from "Scan Hdd"
Again, credit goes to the ones who deserve it: subdub and naturesbane... keep up the good work
Just to make sure before people get their hopes up, this does _not_ mean that we know what the PS3 is doing with these files. It just means that we know that they exist. So, smart people out there can figure the contents out :-)
And last but not least, all of this would not have been possible without Courier's initial work on the firmware chips :-)