Following up on the previous article, today master0wn3r at NGU (linked above) has made an updated guide on how to add Install Package Files on PS3 4.11 OFW essentially making it into a modified PlayStation 3 Shop / Kiosk Firmware.
Below is the guide, to quote: This firmware will not install / run PS3 homebrew packages! Everything you install on your console is on your own risk, this firmware has been tested and confirmed working, if you brick your console its 110% your own fault!
Hello all, I wanna show you all how to get install package files on your OFW 4.11. It still has some bugs but I am working on it
Please people, if you get errors don't blame me! be happy this is for OFW 4.11 and you don't have to downgrade first, this is a little step forward in the PS3 jailbreak / unlock for 4.11.
1. USB Stick
2. The Modded Firmware (below)
3. A PS3
4. Know how to get in Recovery mode
- Complete Patch Blocker inside firmware, Blocks all game updates and any application that has a update server besides System Firmware Updater.
- Install Package Files is added to XMB under Settings menu right below Network Settings.
- Automatic Update, this feature can be found under Settings menu then enter System Settings Sub menu, Scroll to the bottom and turn this on or off, This being ON will automatically Update the system firmware from internet on the booting (Turning on) of the console.. Recommended to keep this to off to avoid Sony releasing a patch.
- Automatic Update via Flash Drive (Any storage device plugged in with update data of firmware) on booting of console, this feature is on by default and not currently a way to turn it off. But you will never want it turned off because when i release a new firmware all you have to do is plug the flash drive into the PS3 and turn it on to start the procedure of the next firmware.
- This is based off of Demo mode firmware so restrictions are present that are irremovable at the moment, PlayStation Store is Blocked off, Go to saved data and click the PSN Plus Online Data to enter the PSN store. PlayStation Home use is by having a friend invite you to Home, PS Vita Deleting Backups feature is removed.
What does it include?
1. The long expected "Install Package Files Folder"
2. Automatic updates from games (PSN+ Content see Settings )
3. For now it wont properly install and run package files, but i am working on it
4. Installation on the good old 4.11 OFW
5. Your console is a SHOP / KIOSK Console from CEX to SEX (lol?)
You won't need a hardware flasher like E3 or Progskeet for this to get this working. Note that this isn't an April Fools joke like Nodex, this firmware will install successfully with the install package files folder
With this Modified Firmware you will get the install package files folder in the settings folder, and automatic game updates when you start your PS3, it gives you a few useful extensions to your OFW. I will give a tutorial how to do it, and also how to convert your console back to retail, please tell me all the bugs you found! Here you go:
Now here's the procedure you need to do to install this:
- Grab and put firmware update on a flash drive as usual you should know how to do that
- Now insert it into the PS3 and put the console into recovery mode then do the system update like that, it will not be detected from the XMB menu updater so you must do it this way.
- Now that's basically it just accept the agreement and start installing.
- Once you are into the firmware it will say 4.11 demonstration mode in the down right corner of your screen, navigate over to Settings menu then scroll down to security settings hover over it do not enter it.
- Now on your controller Hold down L1+R1+Select+Square and you'll be prompted with a security code 4 digits Enter your security code for your PS3 if you've never changed it then it'll be 0000 if you restore default everything on this firmware then it will reset the code to 2464.
- Now when your down click enter and it'll unlock everything, you'll have to do this every time you restart your system.
- Now to convert back to retail just grab the other firmware (below) and you can install this through the XMB this time.
- Now you're done, in the future i will work on this and exploit it future and possibly there will be a jailbreak. So stay updated and I'll work on it further soon.
Link to PS3 4.11 Modified Shop Firmware: PS3UPDAT.PUP
Link to convert your PS3 console back to retail: PS3UPDAT.PUP
Video Tutorial and Proof by JamieL2011:
However, as noted above you can not install any package files by JoshsTubeRocks:
PS3 4.11 Retail Console Convert to Shop (Kiosk) Console by GlitchyJoey:
Note: A new way to enter the PSN store is easier, go to your save data utility and press save online (the PSN+ save option). Now it will ask if you wanna get PSN+ member press yes and it opens the PSN store. BTW Thank you if you install this and report any bugs you found!
More PlayStation 3 News...