Paintown 2-D Fighting Game PS3 Homebrew Test Port Arrives
Today PlayStation 3 developers Scristopher and lunuxx have released a PS3 homebrew test version port of the open-source 2-D fighting game Paintown.
Download: Paintown PS3 Test PKG & Data / Paintown Characters / Paintown PS3 Test PKG & Data (Screen Resolution Fix) / Paintown PS3 Test PKG (Data Included) / Paintown PS3 Test PKG (Fix Update) / Paintown PS3 Test PKG (Extra MUGEN Characters) / Paintown PS3 Test PKG (GeoHot 3.41 / 3.55 CFW) / Paintown PS3 Test PKG (Music Fix) / Paintown PS3 Test PKG (Music Fix - GeoHot 3.41 / 3.55 CFW) / Paintown PS3 Test PKG (Music Fix Repack) / SVN
To quote: Issues as of now:
- music, mugen mode is slow with anyone besides kfm
- character compatibility with some mugen characters
- these issues are fixable
If you are looking for a side-scrolling, action packed game like you used to play or if you are looking for an extensible engine to write your own game, look no further. Paintown supports user created content through a mod system and user defined functionality through scripting.
Paintown also supports an implementation of M.U.G.E.N. Our goal is to be 100% compatible with M.U.G.E.N 2002.04.14 beta as well as supporting any new updates in the 1.0 version.
Paintown is completely open-source and we would love any contributions in the form of code, art, or donations. Give Paintown a try!
Paintown mode works perfect – some issues are still present in mugen mode and music is out for right now feel free to play and have fun, you will need to install the pkg and then copy the data folder from to the install directory/USRDIR (/dev_hdd0/game/Paintown_/USRDIR/)
- also for optimal play change your video output before playing to 720 or 480 on the PS3
- 1080 is laggy for now
- change back to whatever you were using when done playing
- network play coming soon!
(btw X is exit  is select in menus)
Finally, added above is a Paintown PS3 Test PKG Screen Resolution Fix version from Jon Rafkin and Juvinious which no longer requires the screen resolution to be changed and now incorporates an XMB icon / background image followed by revisions that include the data, fixes and 2 extra MUGEN characters that aren't slow.
The Music Fix allow players to add custom music but it is advised to get the Music Fix Repack above, and tested so far are OGG files although users can try WAV and MP3 files but there is no guarantee they will currently work. For those wondering, custom music should go in /dev_hdd0/game/Paintown_/USRDIR/data/music
More PlayStation 3 News...
nice stuff! thx
This is fantastic! Have been waiting for M.U.G.E.N. support for a while now. I hope everyone contributes to this great homebrew project! Thank You.
Is this for linux or can it be installed on a CFW ps3 through install pkg files section? i installed on ps3 and it just kicks me back to the xmb.
The PS3 isn't connected to anything (i usually just transfer from laptop). guess i'll have to try it wireless.
Paintown PS3 Test PKG Screen Resolution Fixed
Here is another Paintown PS3 homebrew update for those following along with some fix revisions below:
Download: Paintown PS3 Test PKG (Screen Resolution Fix) / Paintown PS3 Test PKG Controller / Mugen Fix / Paintown PS3 Test PKG (Controller / Mugen Fix Repack) / Paintown PS3 Test PKG (French Translation Fix) / Paintown PS3 Test PKG (Official 3.5 Status) / Paintown PS3 Test PKG (3.5 Sound/Freezing Fix) / Paintown Character Creation Guide
To quote from lunuxx: blackbird.usask.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=265#p265
If you dont know already - screen resolution fixed, music fixed ogg files play users can add custom tracks and they will play at random in adventure mode, you can change the main menu music by editing data/menu/main.txt
Mugen mode is still slow with other characters besides feilong, gambit and kfm...- looking for a way to fix that not sure what the problem is
- mp3/ogg fixed (add your own custom must to /dev_hdd0/game/Paintown_/USRDIR/data/music/ change main menu music by editing /dev_hdd0/game/Paintown/USRDIR/data/menu/main.txt) , more states implemented in adventure mode, support for multiple hit boxes in same frame, editor majorly updated
- new character terry by marcus95, I've added batman and peter griffin to adventure mode if anyone would like to work on them further feel free too.
Moves list for peter and batman:
- elbow = square
- LPtoHP = down+square (repeatedly) will preform a crushing low punch and a killing uppercut
- MP = square after preforming elbow
- HP = square after preforming MP
- hardHP = X
- uppercut = forward+X after preforming hardHP
- grapple-up = up+square
- kick = circle
- kick 2 (punch and kick) = circle after preforming kick
- kick 3 = forward, forward, circle
- punch = square
- HP = square after preforming punch
- pound = square after preforming HP
- fart fireball = down+square
- froggy = forward+square after preforming HP
- uppercut = X
- puke = forward, forward, X
- WTF?? = square+X
What's next in 3.6 for PS3:
- Mugen mode fixed
- more states handled by the paintown engine (obviously)
- network play
Video: Paintown v3.5 PS3 Homebrew Mod Features New Levels
Today French PlayStation 3 developer Markus95 has made available a Paintown v3.5 PS3 Homebrew Mod featuring new levels and characters alongside a video of it in action below.
Download: Paintown v3.5 PS3 Homebrew Mod
To quote, roughly translated: Here is a mod created by Markus95 for Paintown, know that he had already worked on developing characters for this game I'll let you discover here what will happen in the MOD. Thank you to him for having warned by MP.
I can send you my Mod for paintown, containing the first 4 stages (others are in preparation), and three characters (also others in preparation) and the French translation of the menu.
- Install 3.5 on your PS3 Paintown
- All files are to be transferred by FTP.
- Place the file in markus95 dev_hdd0/game/Paintown_/USRDIR/data /
- File main.txt (French translation) in dev_hdd0/game/Paintown_/USRDIR/data/menu
- The file in paintown.txt dev_hdd0/game/Paintown_/USRDIR/data/paintown
- And the files contained in players (Terry, broly, ken) in dev_hdd0/game/Paintown_/USRDIR/data/players
And here's a little video to illustrate the whole thing:
More PlayStation 3 News...
Peter Griffin should be in every fighting game.
It would be great to have his nemisis the chicken as well.