Open Remote Play (ORP) v1.3 for the Nokia N900 Released
Inspired by the recent Nokia N900 via BlueMaemo video, today kakarotoks has ported PS3 Open Remote Play (ORP) for the Nokia N900.
Download: Open Remote Play (ORP) v1.3 for Nokia N900
To quote: For those interested, here's a build of Open Remote Play running on the N900.
Just follow the instructions... I didn't bother creating a .deb, so just scp those files somewhere on your N900 (like /opt/orp) and run /opt/orp/orpui directly through xterm or using ssh.
It works, but it seems that the rendering with the SDL is extremely CPU hungry so it's slower than bearable, not usable at all actually... The UI also needs some work. I had to disable the bitrate setting in the profile edition page, because it didn't fit in the resolution of the screen, and there was no scrollbar, so it was impossible to save the ip address of the ps3.
The input key bindings also need to be changed since they refer to non existing keys on the N900 keyboard (F1/F2/F3/F4/Escape/etc..). I tried to take a screencast, but it didn't work because the screencast couldn't capture the rendered frames, it just showed a green frame instead of what I was seeing.
I hope others will get the motivation to improve this. Enjoy!
More PlayStation 3 News...
Very nice.. congrats on the app, i saw your big post about the phone, and you changed my mind on it... the phone looks very nice and promising to the open source folk .. does Verizon have this phone on there network, because i wont go with at&t... how long did it take you to port this to the phone also ?
@Rav: I don't really know verizon since I'm in Canada, but if it's a GSM network they've got, then it should work. But I'm guessing they don't do GSM...
Anyways, I'd suggest T-mobile, because the phone has the 3G frequencies for T-Mobile.. if you're on AT&T, you'll only get edge!
Have a look at this : http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-N900-Unl.../dp/B002OB49SW
it explains it correctly.
About how long it took, it took about 1 hour, on and off... that's the beauty of it.. it was just a svn checkout from scratchbox (the SDK), then 'make' just like on any linux machine... unfortunately, ORP's makefile is crap, so it had to download and compile 11 dependencies (zlib, libpng, freetype, curl, faad2, SDL, ffmpeg, openssl, wxWidgets, etc..) although most of them already come by default with the N900 (faad2 and wxWidgets toolkit doesn't)..
I had some issues with compiling some of the dependencies (some errors in the code itself), and it also had some conflict issues between the dependencies compiled by ORP and the ones installed by default on the system.. but once I fixed all that, it was just a matter of 'make', and overall it took me about one hour of work with most of that waiting for compilation to finish.
Nice app, should be useful for some people!
You should have a go at porting ORP to the iphone! there was a competition to do it but it still hasnt been released or made, i'm not really sure.