Let's discuss PS3 trophy transfer issues
Hi all, I just want to start a discussion on trophy transfer topic. I am not talking about hacking and editing trophy to make yourself feel like God, I am talking about plain transfer from and to the same PS3 entirely for the reason of upgrading HDD. Now, given non-JB machine, that's no problem, because you simply sync with PSN and you will get those back. But for us JB-ker, that's not possible. Long story short, it is currently not possible (as I know so far). Nonetheless I tried things around just to get a feel of what will happen. It might/might not help future newbie, or development in the scene, but I just want to contribute my 2 cents.
- copying trophy folder under home/00000001(userid)/trophy (by ftping) and putting it back when you upgraded to a new HDD WON'T WORK. People not interested in playing around files can stop reading here.
- all backing up and restoring trophy folder does is that the percentage will be brought back. It will not be brought back by just restarting ps3. It will only be triggered when you start that particular game. e.g., if initially I have 0 platinum 1 gold 2 silver 20 bronze on SF4 (just saying), and the percentage is 30%, by the time you a.) backup your trophy folder, b.) upgrade your HDD, c.) copy back the trophy folder (by overwriting), d.) start SF4, you will see your trophy percentage become 30%, with the same trophy count: 0 platinum 1 gold 2 silver 20 bronze
- if you are reading on, then most likely you have tried it and encountered the following problem. Now the percentage and # of trophy is correct, but the trophies themselves appear to be still locked (cannot see the picture (icon) and description when browsing the actual trophy set. At this moment NOT ONLY YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE YOUR UNLOCKED TROPHIES, BUT BECAUSE IT IS RECORDED AS ACQUIRED ALREADY, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO GET IT BACK EVEN THOUGH YOU PREFORM THE SAME OBJECTIVE AGAIN. IT IS FOREVER LOST.
- some people also report some games cannot be started after that, because the game complain about sync problem of trophies
- I take a look in the binary, and it seems like even the same objective being met (i.e. getting same trophy), the hex is different if you create it in the old HDD vs you create it in the new HDD. It seems to be encrypted and tying to the HDD somehow.
- trying to overwrite _TROPSYS_ folder with your backup data also doesn't help. But I think the _TROPSYS_ contains some control regarding why the hex is different in different HDD, even with the same PS3.
From the above points, I have some questions. If whether a trophy is lock or unlock is really encrypted, then why the percentage and trophy count can be brought back? Once encrypted, bits should be shifted and 1 doesn't mean 1 anymore. That only means that the file is not encrypted. The byte location are still maintained. In that case, it is not the file in trophy folder that determine whether a trophy is locked or not. I supposed folder like _TROPSYS_ will control the locking mechanism, but since overwriting the folder doesn't solve the problem, I hit a dead end here. Another thing worth noticing is the trophy icons. Before and after upgrading HDD, they are the same. all PNG can be viewed without encryption. So some files must be there to control whether to show the icons or not. But where are those control files?
Anyone have any opinion to express, feel free to throw it out. It might help the scene. After all, not a lot of people care about trophy, and not a lot of people care about hacking trophy, but I am sure certain amount of people care about how to transfer the trophy they earned with their time and blood WITHOUT signing in PSN, which is not an available option at this moment for Jailbreaker.
11-06-2010 #2Banned User
- Join Date
- Jul 2008
I myself believe that the ps3 puts the file onto the hdd randomly wise.
So even if you have the same data and copy it back to the hdd the ps3 will again split them up randomly on the hdd and for that you get two different check sums.
If the ps3 holds anywhere a checksum of this file then you wouldnt be able to restore/replace the file even if it is same one as you before have backed up.
i'm just acquiring new trophies after my new hdd upgrade and hope that in the future there will be a solution to get on psn. maybe it will be a short window, like with the proxy hack (should have upgraded then an do a quick sync with psn).
but i'm scared that when i mess with the trophy files they will be forever lost...
Another findings from my personal experience. I just try to delete a trophy folder (because I thought I can remove the trophy pack and start over), but it is funny, because the next reboot, I see the trophy pack still there (with counts and percentage intact). The only thing that is missing from the delete is the icon0.png!!
This is surprising for me because I think the .dat and other files hold the information about percentage and trophy counts for a specific game. Turns out it is not! The only deduction is that those things are put in somewhere (like the main _TROPSYS_ folder probably?). In that case, what is the use of each individual trophy folder? Just to hold the icons png?
Actually, the trophies are the least of my concern, since we cant sync with the PSN, it's more just for personal kicks. however I'm more concerned with the problem of getting back my paid content from the PSN store.
As for the trophies, I would like to suggest checking the registry, since I basically copied everything from my hard drive (via FTP) to a local location on my own computer. when that did absolutely nothing (except restore my themes) I became concerned. Using the backup utility (System> system tools > backup utilities) will restore your saves, and the demo forms of the games you unlocked, but not your trophies, or your unlock key.
Perhaps it would be wise to look in /dev_flash0 or even /dev_flash1 for files (unfortunately I'm at work so I can't)
Because I swap my old hard drive and new hard drive (500GB) back and forth, and all the trophies still works in both drives; they just show different content (because I play some in the old drive, then I play some in the new drive, same game). The old trophy info is not lost with the swapping of the drives. So I think flash have less to do with it...
i was able to successfully restore all my trophies after upgrading to a new hard drive. first back up trophies and savedata if you like to your ps3. install new hard drive in ps3. after your hard drive formats restart in jb mode. ftp your trophies to your ps3. reboot into recovery mode and select rebuild database. after this and another reboot, your trophies should all be listed in the xmb.
That's good finding, shiggitysly! So repair db cures it all! I thought I tried everything, but I haven't tried this. I'll try this next time. Thanks! (for synching trophies, i am lucky enough to use that short period of time which psn spoof worked - only for a couple days to sync all my trophy to psn and bring it over to my new 500gb hdd, so for now I am good)
How do I back up the trophies and gamesavedata before installing my new hard drive?