Hi all, I just want to start a discussion on trophy transfer topic. I am not talking about hacking and editing trophy to make yourself feel like God, I am talking about plain transfer from and to the same PS3 entirely for the reason of upgrading HDD. Now, given non-JB machine, that's no problem, because you simply sync with PSN and you will get those back. But for us JB-ker, that's not possible. Long story short, it is currently not possible (as I know so far). Nonetheless I tried things around just to get a feel of what will happen. It might/might not help future newbie, or development in the scene, but I just want to contribute my 2 cents.
- copying trophy folder under home/00000001(userid)/trophy (by ftping) and putting it back when you upgraded to a new HDD WON'T WORK. People not interested in playing around files can stop reading here.
- all backing up and restoring trophy folder does is that the percentage will be brought back. It will not be brought back by just restarting ps3. It will only be triggered when you start that particular game. e.g., if initially I have 0 platinum 1 gold 2 silver 20 bronze on SF4 (just saying), and the percentage is 30%, by the time you a.) backup your trophy folder, b.) upgrade your HDD, c.) copy back the trophy folder (by overwriting), d.) start SF4, you will see your trophy percentage become 30%, with the same trophy count: 0 platinum 1 gold 2 silver 20 bronze
- if you are reading on, then most likely you have tried it and encountered the following problem. Now the percentage and # of trophy is correct, but the trophies themselves appear to be still locked (cannot see the picture (icon) and description when browsing the actual trophy set. At this moment NOT ONLY YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE YOUR UNLOCKED TROPHIES, BUT BECAUSE IT IS RECORDED AS ACQUIRED ALREADY, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO GET IT BACK EVEN THOUGH YOU PREFORM THE SAME OBJECTIVE AGAIN. IT IS FOREVER LOST.
- some people also report some games cannot be started after that, because the game complain about sync problem of trophies
- I take a look in the binary, and it seems like even the same objective being met (i.e. getting same trophy), the hex is different if you create it in the old HDD vs you create it in the new HDD. It seems to be encrypted and tying to the HDD somehow.
- trying to overwrite _TROPSYS_ folder with your backup data also doesn't help. But I think the _TROPSYS_ contains some control regarding why the hex is different in different HDD, even with the same PS3.
From the above points, I have some questions. If whether a trophy is lock or unlock is really encrypted, then why the percentage and trophy count can be brought back? Once encrypted, bits should be shifted and 1 doesn't mean 1 anymore. That only means that the file is not encrypted. The byte location are still maintained. In that case, it is not the file in trophy folder that determine whether a trophy is locked or not. I supposed folder like _TROPSYS_ will control the locking mechanism, but since overwriting the folder doesn't solve the problem, I hit a dead end here. Another thing worth noticing is the trophy icons. Before and after upgrading HDD, they are the same. all PNG can be viewed without encryption. So some files must be there to control whether to show the icons or not. But where are those control files?
Anyone have any opinion to express, feel free to throw it out. It might help the scene. After all, not a lot of people care about trophy, and not a lot of people care about hacking trophy, but I am sure certain amount of people care about how to transfer the trophy they earned with their time and blood WITHOUT signing in PSN, which is not an available option at this moment for Jailbreaker.