Hey there.

So... you use an ad blocker. That's cool. Sometimes we do too.


But without ad revenue, we wouldn't even be here. And we might not be here much longer.

Please disable your ad blocker and click to continue.

Thread: HDD encryption

Page 2 of 6 First 123 ... Last
  1. #11
    f5inet Guest
    is AES(key length unkown)+CBC+Byteswap.

    the key is not stored in the HDD, because a new HDD uses the same Key.

  2. #12
    ifcaro Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kakarotoks View Post
    Do you guys have any knowledge on how the OS's FS works? Like, what the directory structure is.. where do .pkg files get stored.. where are they extracted? Where to put a custom self for it to appear in the 'Games' section and be launchable... and all that ?
    Here are the installation files for the Resident Evil 5 on my PS3


  3. #13
    semitope Guest
    Isnt the HDD encrypted? How'd you get that info?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    25,091

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by semitope View Post
    Isnt the HDD encrypted? How'd you get that info?
    I would assume (Ifcaro would have to confirm) he did it using KnightSolidus' method that DemonHades and Pirate publically leaked a few months back without permission. (see HERE and HERE).

  5. #15
    ionbladez Guest
    Why don't we just splice the connection from the HDD on PS3 to a microcontroller and view what is being sent and received.

    I mean, we won't need the keys if the keys are "written" to the drive on boot.

    Easy way to get them?

  6. #16
    RexVF5 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ionbladez View Post
    Why don't we just splice the connection from the HDD on PS3 to a microcontroller and view what is being sent and received.

    I mean, we won't need the keys if the keys are "written" to the drive on boot.

    Easy way to get them?
    The keys are not written to the drive at all (AFAIU) - my understanding would be that some lower-level part of PS3's OS (maybe part of the HDD driver) encrypts the data before it writes them and also decrypts them when reading just before passing them to upper levels - games, XMB, ...

    So if you did what you describe you would only see what you can see when you take the disc off and connect it to PC.

  7. #17
    ionbladez Guest
    Well I figured I would get that answer, what I meant was we can probe it for live data, as it's written. To get a better understanding of the key itself.

    I mean it can't be that hard, right?

  8. #18
    ifcaro Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    I would assume (Ifcaro would have to confirm) he did it using KnightSolidus' method that DemonHades and Pirate publically leaked a few months back without permission. (see HERE and HERE).
    Yes, I have used knightsolidus' method to decrypt HDD. I have also used an application that I developed with him to facilitate the procedure.

    I think Sony can not patch this method without prohibiting copying of images, music or video on HDD and I do not think that will do that.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    25,091
    Ahh.. Thanks for the confirmation. It would be welcomed news if you are correct and they don't end up patching it, but only time will tell I guess.

    PS: I added you as a PS3 Dev class user here too... DemonHades was also one, but then he requested to be removed when the fireworks went off a few months back so we honored his request.

    If you need anything, I am sure CJPC will be happy to chat with ya sometime!

  10. #20
    RexVF5 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ionbladez View Post
    Well I figured I would get that answer, what I meant was we can probe it for live data, as it's written. To get a better understanding of the key itself.

    I mean it can't be that hard, right?
    I am not sure what you mean - the only data the drive receives/sends is the encrypted data. Do you mean the location of the data? That would give some (probably useful) information on the layout of the filesystem.

Page 2 of 6 First 123 ... Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in