Ok, so you want to upgrade your internal (Or external) HDD (Hard Disk Drive) on your PS3, but don't know what to buy? I found myself having a difficult time determining what HDDs are compatible with the PS3. Hopefully this guide will help you find what you need.
External HDD Suggestions (Must be 2TB or less!):
- External HDD that connects via USB
The PS3 (at the time of writing this) only supports USB HDDs formatted with FAT32 (HDDs can be reformated with FAT32). FAT32 has a maximum capacity limitation of 2TB. Unless the drive comes pre-formatted with FAT32, you will need to search (use Google) and download a free tool to format the HDD to FAT32.
- You can easily transfer files to/from an external USB HDD using a PC.
- You can easily carry and use the external USB HDD from one PS3/PC to another.
- Much slower data transfer compared to an internal HDD.
- Currently at the time of writing this, some PS3 game backups are incompatible with external HDDs.
- Some PS3 content are not compatible from an external HDD, such as game saves or content that the PS3 will only save/install to an internal HDD.
Internal HDD Suggestions (Must be 1TB or less):
- Any 2.5" SATA Notebook HDD
Internal 3.5" HDD Suggestions (These will require an adapter/extender!):
HITACHI 3.5" 500GB
SEAGATE 3.5" 500GB
WD 3.5" CAVIAR BLACK 1 TB (WD1001FALS) (Buy link [newegg]): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136284)
Internal HDD Adapters/Extenders:
- PS3 HD HDD PHE-02
Buy Link (eBay): http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=PS3...rive&_osacat=0
I strongly recommend buying/using one of the HDDs listed under "Internal 3.5" HDD Suggestions (These will require an adapter/extender!)" because not all 3.5" HDDs may fit correctly inside this adapter.
This is a pretty fancy extender. It has a few advantages/disadvantages:
- Acts as a vertical stand for the PS3 (is not built to work horizontally)
- Does not support PS3 Slim models (it may be possible to use it with slim models, but will not fit the PS3 as a vertical stand)
- Your internal HDD fits inside this extender, so you do not need a separate case.
- Has a built-in fan to keep the internal HDD from getting too hot.
- Has 4 extra USB ports built-in. One of them is used by the extender, so technically you only get to use 3 extra USB ports.
- Glossy black look matches excellently with black PS3s.
- A very bright blue LED near the front. It can be very distracting while playing games. You may want to cover the LED, or apply paint over it etc if the light bothers you.
I bought one of these PS3 HD HDD PHE-02 extenders off eBay from "paul1970tw" for about $50, and it arrived in about one week. In my opinion, the price is worth the features listed above, making it the best extender solution I have personally found.
- PS3 HD HDD PHE-01
This is the first/cheaper version of the "PS3 HD HDD PHE-02". I won't go into much detail about this version. This version does not let you fit the internal HDD inside, and thus does not have a fan.
- PS3 HD HDD PHE-02 (Extender) (Not compatible with slim models)
- WD 3.5" CAVIAR BLACK 1 TB (WD1001FALS)
I have personally tested both of these recommended items together and they worked just fine without any extra items needed. The 1TB WD drive will give you about 826GB of usable space after the PS3 is done formatting it.
If you want additional storage after the internal HDD upgrade, also buy a 2TB external USB HDD. Keep in mind that some content or game backups may not work with external HDDs.
If you have any relevant information or questions that may aid users wanting to upgrade their PS3 HDD, then please leave a reply/comment.
Buy links are given for convenience purposes only, this is still just a guide.